Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 8:57:06 AM EDT
Question for you legal experts...

Are firearms completely outlawed in DC? Long guns too?

A co-worker (who lives in DC) asked if it is legal for him to own an AR15 in DC.

Know any internet links with this info?

Thanks,
--Marty

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the link to the NRA ILA site on the subject:
www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=DC
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
HAHAHAHA! An AR-15 in DC - Yeah right!  All you can own there is a shotgun...

Don't even get caught going through DC with a weapon in your car.  While perfectly legal - DC cops are likely to confiscate it.  The $$ you spend in getting them back will end up costing you more than the guns (you will win - but it will cost you).  The NRA had a warning about this practice several years ago.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I still don't see where one could not purchase an AR15. Just limited to <12 round mags.

It is a moot point? Whereas you "could" buy one, but there are no gun stores in DC and you can't import them, so you "can't" by one?

Or, since you need a license, and the CLEO does not sign off, so you can't get a license, and the result is... no firearm. One of those scams?

I'm still confused.

--LS
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
There is this:

A person may buy or sell a firearm only from or to a licensed dealer in the District.

Anyone know any gunshops in DC?  I can't find any.

There is also this provision:

This prohibition extends to all semi-automatic firearms which CAN be fitted with a clip or magazine containing 12 or more cartridges. This includes .22 caliber rifles with 15 shot tube magazines as well as automatic pistols with 14 shot clips.

Since ARs can be fitted with magazines with capacities greater than 12 (hey so can 10/22s) they would be illegal in DC.  The only semi-auto rifle they might be able to purchase would be the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. (edited to add or a Go-Go Gadget's 10 round CA lower).
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I've actually shot with a guy that has a Washington DC Pistol Permit!!

It's for an old .38 spl, and only for that gun.  If that guns dies.........no more gun for him.

Pretty amazing to even see a permit anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top