Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 7:53:23 AM EDT
My GF finally sent in her FOID application and they cashed her check yesterday. She was all psyched about that but I told her it would take a little while to actually get the card.

So if anyone knows what the current FOID application turnaround time is, that would be great to know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
My buddy just waited about 5 weeks.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#2]
5 weeks! So what do you do if you move to Illinois with firarms? You can't get a foid card before you move casue you live out of state. If you move your stuff with you then your not legal, is this correct? Or do you just say nothing and hope nothing happens till the card shows up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
5 weeks! So what do you do if you move to Illinois with firarms? You can't get a foid card before you move casue you live out of state. If you move your stuff with you then your not legal, is this correct? Or do you just say nothing and hope nothing happens till the card shows up.

There is a "grace period" unless you are caught in the act of screwing-up. Then, the issue of not having an FOID is minor.  Make application as soon as you know your address. What the heck- keep multiple copies of the application and be ready & able to track the payment.

Keep your gat at home and under wraps until you get the plastic. It took mine 6 weeks to renew. I called them to find out WTF and the male that answered the phone intimated that "the state employees" aren't what they used to be.

BTW- have a little fun with them. Last card I had showed me in my orange skeet shooting glasses and a cigar. This one, I took on the "Home Alone" face and had Dilbert hair. They could care less, but it makes anyone in the business laugh when they look.

CM
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a "grace period" unless you are caught in the act of screwing-up. Then, the issue of not having an FOID is minor.  Make application as soon as you know your address. What the heck- keep multiple copies of the application and be ready & able to track the payment.

Keep your gat at home and under wraps until you get the plastic. It took mine 6 weeks to renew. I called them to find out WTF and the male that answered the phone intimated that "the state employees" aren't what they used to be.

BTW- have a little fun with them. Last card I had showed me in my orange skeet shooting glasses and a cigar. This one, I took on the "Home Alone" face and had Dilbert hair. They could care less, but it makes anyone in the business laugh when they look.

CM

There's no grace period for new residents, apparently they omitted that part. however, as long as you apply for one asap upon moving, you really shouldn't have to worry about it, unless liek someone said, there are other issues that draw attention to the fact.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
about 8 weeks now according to local FFL last week

two years ago, I got a replacement in three weeks
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]

about 8 weeks now according to local FFL last week

I was told much longer than that by a local FFL and yet it only took my 4 weeks to get it this spring.  I would call the State Police and ask them how long it is taking.  They were very honest with me.   They sent me a letter needing more information form something that poped up in another state.  I needed to fax them info from State of WI for them to clear me and I had my card soon thereafter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
7-8 weeks is what I have heard lately, but we will see as my girlfriend just sent hers in two weeks ago and I sent mine in a week ago for an address change.

Matt_B, got yourself a new lady?  Or just one who you haven't indtroduced to shooting until recently?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Dawg, I've been with the same woman for 10 yrs now. She's just getting on shooting boat now but better late than never. It was the 1911 that won her over. She likes my shiny 9mm 1911.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is a "grace period" unless you are caught in the act of screwing-up.

There's no grace period for new residents, apparently they omitted that part. however, as long as you apply for one asap upon moving, you really shouldn't have to worry about it, unless liek someone said, there are other issues that draw attention to the fact.

Agrred, but taken in context, you'll see what I was inferring. Just don't draw attention. (IE: What exactly caused the nice officer to ask you to bend over and spread 'em?)

Where's that loophole that allows heirs of an estate to take short term posession w/o a card? Coulda' sworn I read it somehere!

Illinois FOID Laws (such as they are) www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapAct=430%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B65%2F&ChapterID=39&ChapterName=PUBLIC%2BSAFETY&ActName=Firearm%2BOwners%2BIdentification%2BCard%2BAct%2E

CMhershe can never say "I didn't know it was loaded." Just my advice, don't mean nothin' by it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You want to hold on to your out of state DL or ID till you get your FOID. That will cover you till it arrives.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I sent mine off Nov 1st.

Called yesterday and the lady said it would print this week and ship.

Figure 7-8 weeks

slow
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]
mine took a month to the date.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Dawg, I've been with the same woman for 10 yrs now. She's just getting on shooting boat now but better late than never. It was the 1911 that won her over. She likes my shiny 9mm 1911.

What the...?

I thought that all 1911's were .45?  Not all of them are ACP but I thought they all were .45?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the...? I thought that all 1911's were .45?  Not all of them are ACP but I thought they all were .45?

There aren't many of them around. Springfield and Kimber make reasonably priced ones, STI offers them and there may be others I'm just not aware off. But yeah exisit and they're a heck of a lot of fun too.

BTW, I do have (2) 1911s in .45 ACP but she likes the shiny one which happens to be 9mm
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the...?

I thought that all 1911's were .45?  Not all of them are ACP but I thought they all were .45?

You were assuming they were.

All the 1911's that are .45 are .45 ACP, at least all the ones I've ever seen or heard about.
They also been made in 22LR, .38 super, 9mm, 40 S&W, 10MM, and I'm sure probably a couple other chamberings.

The 1911 platform is an engineering marvel, especially when it was first produced almost 100 years ago. The staying power is testament to the quality and reliability of the design.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the...?

You were assuming they were.

All the 1911's that are .45 are .45 ACP, at least all the ones I've ever seen or heard about.
They also been made in 22LR, .38 super, 9mm, 40 S&W, 10MM, and I'm sure probably a couple other chamberings.

The 1911 platform is an engineering marvel, especially when it was first produced almost 100 years ago. The staying power is testament to the quality and reliability of the design.

You're right I was.  Before you guys told me...I took my question to the 1911 forum...where it was answered.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top