Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 7:12:23 PM EDT
Katrina "victims" will no longer to get free electric (as they have for the past year).
Funds ran out and NOW they wonder what they will do now for lighting.
ITS CALLED GET A FRIGGIN JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is simply amazing how people expect everything to be given to them for free
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw that too.  Two words: "Fo Free?"
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow. a YEAR?? I'd love the free electricity for a MONTH! LOL TXU is killing me here in Dallas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder what LordTrader will do?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

One year is an ample of time to find a job....unless you don't want to find one.

No foolin.

Heck, get a paper route and work at McDonalds.  

I tell you what, anyone who really wanted work would be.  They hire rookie truckdrivers with only two coditions to meet:

1) Decent (relatively) driving record

2) Can pass the DOT physical (not blind, uncontrolled diabetes, uncontrolled hypertension and that's about it!).

No, I never EVER feel for those who "can't find work".

Total BS cop out!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wonder what LordTrader will do?

He would join a gym, so he could use their electricity for free 8 hours a day!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wow. a YEAR?? I'd love the free electricity for a MONTH! LOL TXU is killing me here in Dallas.

I heard that - ours was $560 for June, am afraid of opening the one for July...
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
That reply about truck drivers is so totaly WRONG, the requirements are so strict now, DOT regulations, Criminal background,driving record,etc,etc. Don't post what you don't know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That reply about truck drivers is so totaly WRONG, the requirements are so strict now, DOT regulations, Criminal background,driving record,etc,etc. Don't post what you don't know.

He IS a truck driver....  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You talkin to ME?!?!?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I dealt with a bunch early in their game.  I'm f&b manager for an upscale hotel.  What a clusterfuck.  They hung around the pool all day scaring paying guests, stole everything possible, and the government paid them to do it.  If I had been in that position, I would have tried to find a job, any job.  Can't imagine just sitting around all day.  They had a chance to earn a living AND suck up the government's handout.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]

................not going to turn this post into a rant.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He IS a truck driver....  

with  11621 post?! I don't think so.

JK
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

................not going to turn this post into a rant.

Why not, as taxpayers we're getting screwed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He IS a truck driver....  

with  11621 post?! I don't think so.

JK

Hey!  It's a rough life!!!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#19]
"But tha aint no jobs"
Today I saw two places that had big sign that said WORKERS WANTED and NOW HIRING.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"But tha aint no jobs"
Today I saw two places that had big sign that said WORKERS WANTED and NOW HIRING.

That "work" word scared them off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"But tha aint no jobs"

That "work" word scared them off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"But tha aint no jobs"

I concur, the available jobs in Dallas + Collin County rose about 4.3% in the first quarter for 2006.  I'm not sure who came up with the numbers, but they were thrown around at a meeting at City Hall today....fulltime positions that pay about $12/hr.

mm
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Most didn't have a job when they came here.......why should they get one now?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Where I work as f&b manager of a hotel where we had a bunch of them, we had openings we offered.  They didn't want to clean rooms.  Hell, the times I've needed a job, I would have cleaned porta-potties to support my family and maintain my self-respect.  There's work if you want it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder how many of these evacuees were working before the storm.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard that - ours was $560 for June, am afraid of opening the one for July...

Holy shit! $560.00? How big is your house?
Our last bill was for $180.00. We set the thermostat at about 76 and run ceiling fans and  box fans and it stays very comfortable. I won't set the thermostat higher since I do like it sorta cool.
Last year I crawled up in my attic and found the insulation had disintegrated from my ac low pressure line. It was sweating and letting cold out in the attic. I also had some loose insulation at the plenum box where all the ducts come out- blowing cool air into the attic.
I also make sure all my doors and windows are caulked.
I need to add some insulation sometime since mine is getting thin. I also need to add an insulating sheet behind the outlet plates- I can feel warmth at the outlets during the day.

As high as electricity is getting it really pays to check everything. Keep a clean filter in the unit, clean the outside unit, etc.

As far as the poor people losing .gov assistance,   boo freaking hoo! Get a damn job!

Jim
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:
Katrina "victims" will no longer to get free electric (as they have for the past year).
It is simply amazing how people expect everything to be given to them for free Can anyone point me to a news article about this?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is simply amazing how people expect everything to be given to them for free

Can anyone point me to a news article about this?

www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3676263.html

"When this Katrina situation developed, we welcomed people with arms wide open," he said."We never scrutinized who should be coming into the city, we never turned anyone back. In the same way New Orleans cannot now say that everyone who is disabled, or cannot work, should have to stay in Houston."

Shortly after Katrina struck New Orleans — and with Houston's shelters and hotels full — Mayor Bill White and other local officials devised a plan to provide long-term housing for evacuees.

More than 80,000 evacuees signed up for the program, which provided one year of rent-free living in an apartment as well as free electricity and gas. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is reimbursing Houston for the housing program's expenses.

A major component of this initiative, city officials said, has been reaching out to those evacuees in Houston apartments to help them obtain job skills and find employment.

"Our overwhelming concern is one of helping people get back on their feet, and then helping them find a job," Councilwoman Shelley Sekula-Gibbs. "That's what the Houston mentality is, this is a working town."

www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/special/05/katrina/3441703.html

Ten weeks after Hurricane Katrina touched off the largest U.S. migration since the Dust Bowl, the welcome mat in Houston has proved to be the most plush in the nation.

Because of its proximity to New Orleans, Houston harbored the largest share of evacuees fleeing the Aug. 29 storm and the devastating flood that followed — an estimated 150,000 people. Not quite a month later, Hurricane Rita brought another, though much smaller, round of storm-ravaged people this way. Now, the city's response to the disasters has been so generous that a third wave of evacuees — those who had landed in other Texas cities — may be en route as well.

What's the lure? In addition to a $2,358 stipend from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the city is offering evacuees a voucher good for 12 months of rent in clean, safe apartments, with free electricity and gas heating. The housing program, the most expansive of its kind in the U.S., is expected to cost Houston about $220 million, though it expects reimbursement from FEMA.

The city already has issued about 35,000 vouchers, ranging from one-bedroom apartments for two people to four-bedroom apartments for larger families.

More than 12,000 vouchers have been cashed in, each signifying an evacuee family has signed a lease. The city then pays the landlord directly.

John Walsh, a deputy chief of staff for Mayor Bill White who has spearheaded the program, said he expects at least 60,000 evacuees to find housing here because of the program.

By contrast, Atlanta has made virtually no provisions for long-term housing, and Dallas has sought to house fewer than 1,000 families.

"Very early on," noted Walsh, "the mayor said, 'These are our neighbors, they are in need, and we will help them.' "

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#31]
And there staring us in the face is the end result of a welfare society...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top