Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:11:58 PM EDT
I live just a few miles south of the track, about 1.5 miles north of 820, and my street ends at F.M. 156. It will take a long while to just get home, out out of the house because of traffic.
Someday Tx.DOT will be widening my section of 156. I bet they wait to start during race week!

Jim
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, when is the next plate match at Haltom City Gun Club?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the third saturday of every month. This month it's the 15th.
Gonna make it? I won high overall iron sights with my SA .45 last match. If I can get around to loading some 185gr bullets and can get away from 230gr hardball I might give you some trouble.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't make the 15th, I have to work that Saturday.  Maybe next time...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Back to the original topic.  How bad will south bound I-35 traffic likely be around 5:00 p.m. on Thursday and Friday?  I'm used to non-race week traffic and see to determine if I need to take an alternate route.

R.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Back to the original topic.  How bad will south bound I-35 traffic likely be around 5:00 p.m. on Thursday and Friday?  I'm used to non-race week traffic and see to determine if I need to take an alternate route.

R.

I would think you could just judge the traffic by race time. At 5pm most of the race traffic will be northbound.
As bad a traffic is getting around here I am going to go ahead and win the lottery Wednesday night and buy a BolKow 105. Or a Bell 47.
I'll try not to smile as I pass overhead.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can't make the 15th, I have to work that Saturday.  Maybe next time...

Sooner or later we need to get together and do some shooting. I could use some pointers with my AR15, as well as taking a Diet Coke from you on the plates. :>) We can shoot the plates anytime- they stay out. We will find a free weekend or I can always play hooky. The best thing about working for a city government- comp time!
Your business is always good though, unfortunately.
Take care,
Jim
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Pepperbelly,

I live like really close to you apparently. What neighborhood do you live in? I am in Chisolm Ridge down 156, off Harmon Rd.

Where is the Haltom City Gun Club?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:56:18 AM EDT
[#8]
DFW, I live across 156 in Creekwood.   We should get together sometime.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pepperbelly,

I live like really close to you apparently. What neighborhood do you live in? I am in Chisolm Ridge down 156, off Harmon Rd.

Where is the Haltom City Gun Club?

the HCRPC is on hwy 121 and Minnis Rd. Next to the Haltom City dump.

I am a member there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in Blue Mound and also a member of HCR&PC.

Supersix, do you shoot in the matches? I wonder if I know you.
Jim
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am in Blue Mound and also a member of HCR&PC.

Supersix, do you shoot in the matches? I wonder if I know you.
Jim

I shot some of the falling plate about a year ago. But they seem to fall on dates I am busy.

I am a casual shooter, no other matches
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I live just a few miles south of the track, about 1.5 miles north of 820, and my street ends at F.M. 156. It will take a long while to just get home, out out of the house because of traffic.
Someday Tx.DOT will be widening my section of 156. I bet they wait to start during race week!

Jim

Don't worry, in a few years the rotten no good mf'ers that own TMS, will STEAL your property to build the road.

No more house, no more problems.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#13]
As long as they give me good money for my house, I am good. Haven't been there long anyway! Do any of you guys go shoot at Quail Creek gunrange? My first time since moving back to Ft. Worth was last week. Was nice. This fat boy crossing the little wood bridge carrying a bunch of stuff made me a little nervous though, but it wasn't to big of a drop. I will go check out the Haltom City club, I'd like to know what kind of match you guys are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As long as they give me good money for my house, I am good. Haven't been there long anyway! Do any of you guys go shoot at Quail Creek gunrange? My first time since moving back to Ft. Worth was last week. Was nice. This fat boy crossing the little wood bridge carrying a bunch of stuff made me a little nervous though, but it wasn't to big of a drop.

I will go check out the Haltom City club, I'd like to know what kind of match you guys are talking about.

Basically, a falling plate match consists of shooting at 8" (or 10") steel plates mounted on a rack. The plates fall over when hit and are re-set by a strap at the bench. You alternate with another shooter on the other station- there are 2 racks of plates. The plates are at 25 yards, 6 plates to a rack.
You begin with a pistol or revolver, iron sights or red-dot, loaded held with the muzzle in contact with the bench. The timer goes off and you fire 6 rounds at the 6 plates. It is scored 4 points per plate knocked over minus the number of seconds it took you to fire 6 rounds. If you hit all 6 plates in 7 seconds the score is 24-7 for a final score of 17 for that run. You have 6 runs for a total of 36 plates/rounds fired. Then after everyone has shot you do it again. Your high score of the 2 shoots is what is used. Winner gets a gimme cap. If you get all 36 plates you get another cap.
It costs $6.00 per match. I shoot rimfire (Ruger Mk 2) and centerfire (SA .45acp), both iron sights. You could shoot both iron sights and red-dot, pistol and revolver.
You compete against others in your class- A, AA, AAA, Master.

Our next match is the third Saturday (always the 3rd Sat.), April 15, 2006. Come down and see what it's all about. We start at about 12pm for practice with the match starting at about 1pm.

I have shot at Quail Creek, but they don't have many shooting lanes, ban FMJ rifle ammo, and cost too much- $11.00 per session. Our club charges $75.00 per year, go as many times as you want, with a 1 time $100.00 iniation fee. No ammo banned but we do have a limit of 5 rounds in a rifle. That is to avoid someone loading a 30 round mag, shooting a few rounds and laying down a loaded weapon.

Our club is looking around for more land to possibly use for a trap or skeet range. It is still in committee and I have no idea what progress they have made.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top