Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 7:37:15 PM EDT
What I would REALLY like to do is get with someone that has some experience calling yotes.  I like yote hunting best of all and haven't been able to really hook up with anyone else to get into the calling aspect of it.  When I was younger my cousin and I would ride around with our dads, driving all over the countryside looking for coyotes in the snow.  Years ago when that stopped working (or got too expensive) we would "drive them" like deer through a timber.  Somewhat effective but still not fun for all involved.

I have tons of videos about how to do it... but can't seem to find anyone who DOES it...

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to learn how to do this also.  I don't really have a place to do it but would love to learn how.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Whereabouts in Iowa are you located?

I'm in Ames, new to Iowa, and I've been looking for hunting opportunities.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Never been there but I hear Red Rock Lake area (Pella) is good.  I'm in Cedar Rapids.

Shok
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never been there but I hear Red Rock Lake area (Pella) is good.  I'm in Cedar Rapids.

Shok

Really?  I grew up around there but never heard this.  Are you talking about the public land around there?  That is usually a good place to get shot.  Too many people out there that don't know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have done a lot of yote hunting,mostly in AZ.I'm in Ames,but do not have many places to hunt around here,except public areas.If you have any farms available to you that have yotes,I would be glad to help.I also have all the accessories for calling.If you want to meet somewhere and talk it over,e-m me at Trover33(leave this out)@aol.com
Cazador 2
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Caz,

I talked to you about coyote hunting two shoots ago.  I have the Beowulf upper on the DPMS(not necessarily for yotes) and drive the green Avalanche.

I also have the .223 upper and a new .204 barrel on my T/C Encore handgun.

I am about 15 mi south of Boone so we are not to far apart.  I do have some areas to hunt over here and my cousin (who came to the last shoot with me) lives around Osceola and has places there also.  We are both VERY interested in learning.  I have several mouth calls, a home made cassette caller and a new Preymaster electronic caller that I like pretty well.

We should discuss this further.  I am not sure about this weekend but maybe sometime soon we could get at 'em...?

5isalive- where are you at?

Richardson- you are in Ames too?  Bunch of us up here???

Craig
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shok

Really?  I grew up around there but never heard this.  Are you talking about the public land around there?  That is usually a good place to get shot.  Too many people out there that don't know what they are doing.

+1 on the public land. Too many wanna be's. The DSM river basin is pretty good 'yote hunting in general. Gpa owns a small farm SE of the Dam. Took quite a few down there. Hell,I live in town (on the edge) and I can hear them yelping on most nights...........

5isalive-
gonna send you an IM. I forgot you were originally from around Pella. (I live on the other side of the river )
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#8]

I am about 15 mi south of Boone so we are not to far apart.  I do have some areas to hunt over here and my cousin (who came to the last shoot with me) lives around Osceola and has places there also.  We are both VERY interested in learning.  I have several mouth calls, a home made cassette caller and a new Preymaster electronic caller that I like pretty well.
Richardson- you are in Ames too?  Bunch of us up here???

Yup, I live in Ames now (having come from Illinois this past year) and have been searching for hunting opportunities & partners (especially for coyotes).  The only place I've hunted here are the public hunting lands around Ledges State Park (small game hunting with my kids).

Richardson
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in Cedar Rapids now.

My uncle has farm land north of Pella and also rents alot of land around there.  I have always wanted to go there.  His son hunts them but not by calling.  They also have some land that has big holes dug from ground hogs or something.  The only problem it is on top of a hill so there is no way to safely shoot at them when they come out of their home.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Let me know when you want to meet.I do not have any hunting partners nor anyone close to converse with about hunting,so it would be enjoyable.
Cazador2
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Cazador2:

I didn't forget ya buddy.  I am getting married in May and after the first of the year got so busy that this is even the first time I have been on the boards since then!!!

I never even got a chance to get out but did talk to several people in my day to day and got some places rounded up for next year.

Sorry again- hope you weren't too disappointed.  We'll knock the ticks off'em this year!

Craig

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't worry Craig,I didn't get out much this winter anyway.Knocked down the only one I saw first time out last fall.The weather has been so nice this winter that I spent much of it doing my other hobby---metal detecting.We can get together later on.Just let me know.Congratulations on the new bride !!!!!!
Cazador2
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds good Cazador.  We will have to keep in touch and maybe do some shooting through the year; maybe get together for some calling practice.

Unfortuneately I am going to miss the May shoot because of "my new bride".  Oh well, there will be other shoots....

Craig

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top