Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2009 3:09:39 PM EDT
So you can't hunt between dawn and dusk. I'm OK with that.

What kind of 'lures' can you set out? I'm thinking of using a mouth cal, and putting a white rag on a string, 30 feet from my stand, and wiggling it to distract the yote long enough to get a shot off. Is that legal?
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It has been more than a few years since I hunted yodel dogs, but it was in Texas.  There most anything goes including spotlighting as long as it isn't in an area with big game.  Even then I got a wink from the local game warden that I knew since he knew what me well enough to trust me.  As for NM, I have no idea.  
I am not sure about  what hours you  are allowed to hunt; does that mean during the night hours or day hours?  Anyway I doubt your attention getter would be a problem.  When I hunted I would use a dead jack rabbit with  a fishing line tied to it's head for the locomotion.  It worked damned well!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to get around the 'spotlighting' thing, get yourself a night vision scope.  Mine works great.

As far as bait, you can use whatever you want as they are vermin.  My granddad used to take one of the barn cats out with us.  He put it under a milk crate and weighed it down with a rock.  The whining kitty would bring 'em in real quick.  Used to piss Grandma off big time, though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you want to get around the 'spotlighting' thing, get yourself a night vision scope.  Mine works great.

As far as bait, you can use whatever you want as they are vermin.  My granddad used to take one of the barn cats out with us.  He put it under a milk crate and weighed it down with a rock.  The whining kitty would bring 'em in real quick.  Used to piss Grandma off big time, though.

Go ahead and take the wife's cat, so you can find out how good you can shoot under pressure,
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go ahead and take the wife's cat, so you can find out how good you can shoot under pressure,

Or perhaps you should say "avoid being shot" when the wife finds out!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or perhaps you should say "avoid being shot" when the wife finds out!  

I'm not that stupid

It would be easier to kidnap one of the neighbor's kitties.

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm.... a neighbor down the street has a bunch of kids, I wonder if she'd miss one?

Never mind.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hmmm.... a neighbor down the street has a bunch of kids, I wonder if she'd miss one?

Never mind.

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

where is that number for cps
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 4:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

Too funny, that one had me
also!

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

Even better... I bet they have LOTS of extra kids!
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

if they act like me when i was a child a slab of bacon tied to them would not get any second looks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

if they act like me when i was a child a slab of bacon tied to them would not get any second looks.

HHMMMMMM! Slab of noisy bacon under a box... full of WIN!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

Coyote Protection Services?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

Coyote Protection Services?

It is a division on Acme Corporation!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#16]
its an anti road runner group calling for lowered running speeds of desert birds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The bullet launcher

The BAIT!!!

Does anybody have a milk crate and a rock that I could borrow? j/k
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The bullet launcher

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/yipykyah/DSCF0389.jpg

The BAIT!!!

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/yipykyah/DSCF0382.jpg
Does anybody have a milk crate and a rock that I could borrow?

j/k

Old farmer told me that your suggestion and a chicken tied to a stake are the best coyote calls god devised.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The bullet launcher

The BAIT!!!

Old farmer told me that your suggestion and a chicken tied to a stake are the best coyote calls god devised.

I wonder if the 'Old farmer' you spoke to was the ghost of my Grandpa?

That old guy could wipe out the coyote, ring-tailed cat, skunk and badgers in a few weeks.  He knew the 'old ways'.  Including fermenting the mash to make his likker.

Sure wish I could duplicate his variety of clear distilled spirits.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
In the last two weeks or so there has been a shortage of cats in my 'hood. Much to Guinness'' disgust. Our morning and evening routine is to "check for cats" in the alley behind the house and there's nothing for him to chase! There are also signs all over for missing cats... Fine with me, I hate cats, but Gdawg sure loves to chase them. I wonder if a few migrating owls or hawks are burping up kitty parts? (this is north charmington, ladera school area)

I know a couple HARD CORE song dog hunters in San Juan County. They regularly do top 5 in state hunting matches. They swear by accurized AR's and FoxPro decoys. They bag dogs out to insane distances. But a  mouth call, chicken, and a milk crate is way cheaper than a digital decoy set up!

If you are seriously wondering about bait, shoot me an email and I will personally ask a local coyote extermination friendly game warden.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The bullet launcher

The BAIT!!!

What kind of scope is that?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.opticsplanet.net/yukon-nvrs-tactical-2-5-x-50-26014wlt.html

Looks like this one to me.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I like this one better.  I wonder if the wife would mind if I sold her car to get one?  

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atn-night-vision-4-12x80-dns-gen-3-ultra.html

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I like this one better.  I wonder if the wife would mind if I sold her car to get one?  

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atn-night-vision-4-12x80-dns-gen-3-ultra.html

Women cant drive anyhow... may as well!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup, that's the one.

The price has gone up in the last two years.  Wish I had bought several.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yup, that's the one.

Demand.

How well does that unit work? Happy with it?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, that's the one.

Demand.

How well does that unit work? Happy with it?

I can plainly see and hit out to 200 yards.  The IR illuminator on it is great for reflecting off of Wiley's eyes.  Runs off of an AA battery for several hours.

The only downside is it has to be re-zeroed when removed.  That's why I just leave it on that rifle.  

Wish I had picked up one for an FAL and an AK, also.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Park off of Unser between Paseo Del Volcan and Montano. Dusk and after dark looks like illegals on th Rio Grande....lol.

I put two in the trash off of my cul de sac with a .17HMR recently
Chuck
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Park off of Unser between Paseo Del Volcan and Montano. Dusk and after dark looks like illegals on th Rio Grande....lol.

I put two in the trash off of my cul de sac with a .17HMR recently
Chuck

I live in the Montano/Taylor Ranch Rd area, so I know what you're talking about.  After hours is pretty thick with the howlers in my subdivision.  Many a cat goes prowling at night, and doesn't come home in the morning.

Unless you're using a suppressor, I'd be very careful shooting them there.  It's a no-no even in that area.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top