Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 8:04:29 PM EDT
Well... I may have to change my name to RabieDog instead of Wormydog.

I was combining some wheat and I saw a coyote pup in the waterway next to the field. Then I saw 6 more. I grabbed the potato/gunny/peanut sack from behind the seat that I keep for just such an occasion and take off sprinting. I catch up to one, it couldn't run very fast in the wheat, and it stops to hide. I step on its back and go down to grab it behind the neck and GRRRR BITE!! The bitch bites my hand, no surprise, it was at that point I realized I forgot to put on my leather gloves in all the excitement. So I take off my t-shirt and chase it down again and step on its head, not to hurt it but just enough pressure so it couldn't snag me again. Then I reach down with the shirt over my hand and grab it behind the neck! It was a female. I put her in the gunny sack, t-shirt and all. She wasn't too happy. Then I looked at my hand. It looks like a cat scratch. Barely broke the skin, like you scraped your arm on some barbed wire, probably even less than that actually. So.... I got back in the combine and all I had was some Windex... Surely there is some alcohol or some sort of germ killer in there, do a few squirts on my hand and continue combining for the next few hours. Get home, wash the scratch with soap, and rub on some Neosporon. Should be ok? or do I need to get some rabie shots?  

Not sure if I am going to keep the bitch or shoot her or turn her loose. Got some catahoola hog dogs might be fun to breed her to and see what the result is. OR if keeping a coyote as a pet is even legal. ?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]

You dumbass

Off to the doctor you go.

* It would be in your best intrest to get cleared by a Doc. If they find that you still have the pup they will want animal control to take it which they (animal control) will most likely put it under rabies observation for a bit and then probably put it down.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd keep it,

it'll never be tame like a house dog, but hell it's a coyote, you can always breed it to your hounds and get a hell of a hunting dog out of her.

when I was a kid a dude that hung around the poolhall had a five legged male coyote that he kept chained up, he could pet it, but nobody else could get close to it without it going apeshit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I really REALLY don't think it is rabid. but it is a wild animal. i don't like shots.....
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really REALLY don't think it is rabid. but it is a wild animal. i don't like shots.....

Get checked. There is more than rabies that can infect you from a coyote bite.
DON"T EVER try to domesticate a coyote puppy unless you get it before it's eyes open.
Once it is imprinted by the mother by sight, they will always be wild and can never be domesticated. Even if you do get them early, they are a pain in the ass.
My brother dug up eight pups once after killing the mother with a shovel. The pups' eyes were still unopened.
Unfortunately he could only keep two alive. One he sold, the other he shot for shit it pulled around his home.
You'd been better off if you killed those pups.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get checked, but if she is not exhibiting symptoms of the disease then I wouldn't sweat it too much.  She probably won't make a lap dog but you can tame her slightly.  Just be patient and give her time.  IF all else fails call the wildlife department and they will take her.  You should have left her where she was!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm kinda confused. Why would anyone do anything with a coyote other than shooting it? I'd think that a man would have to be crazy lonely to even try to "tame" one. Look at the result you got for trying
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm kinda confused. Why would anyone do anything with a coyote other than shooting it? I'd think that a man would have to be crazy lonely to even try to "tame" one. Look at the result you got for trying

+1 to that.  Like I said....He should have left it where it was!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Rabies in my area(NW of Kingfisher).

I like coyotes. I do shot them on occasion, but they serve an important function as vermin control.

I was a farm boy, caught wild animals al the time, ain't that big a deal. I can remember my dad bringing home a live(and pissed off! ) badger when I was a kid!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]

go to the doc and get some lab work done,rabies isn`t something you wanna even chance about,besides rabies shots aren`t like they used to be,they just stick ya in the arm.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]
WTF, you are a crazy SOB.  I would have shot the pups.  Go get checked before you start foming at the mouth.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw 5 more pups and the Mom today. tried to get my little bitch a roommate but after three tries I gave up, the wheat was all cut so there was nothing to slow them down. Not worried about the rabies. It was more of a facetious remark than a serious question. I know rabies is nothing to take lightly but this cute little pup doesn't have rabies. If it does, well then I guess I'm fukt.  Going to the doctor tomorrow to make all you old farts happy. I thought there would be more guys like 17Z in here, country people. Catching and messing with wild animals is part of living in the country. I get curious about things. I thought catching wild animals was illegal so I guess I will let the bitch go, but she really isn't that wild. Sure I wouldn't try to pet her but she looks as curious as me. Bringing home a badger.... no thanks. A neighbor of mine had a bobcat as a pet, kinda. Found it when it was young, really really young. Hung around but wouldn't let anybody but him pet it.

If this thing turns out to be rabid, you can say "I told you so." Until then, Stop being jealous of my new pet.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Saw 5 more pups and the Mom today. tried to get my little bitch a roommate but after three tries I gave up, the wheat was all cut so there was nothing to slow them down. Not worried about the rabies. It was more of a facetious remark than a serious question. I know rabies is nothing to take lightly but this cute little pup doesn't have rabies. If it does, well then I guess I'm fukt.  Going to the doctor tomorrow to make all you old farts happy. I thought there would be more guys like 17Z in here, country people. Catching and messing with wild animals is part of living in the country. I get curious about things. I thought catching wild animals was illegal so I guess I will let the bitch go, but she really isn't that wild. Sure I wouldn't try to pet her but she looks as curious as me. Bringing home a badger.... no thanks. A neighbor of mine had a bobcat as a pet, kinda. Found it when it was young, really really young. Hung around but wouldn't let anybody but him pet it.

If this thing turns out to be rabid, you can say "I told you so." Until then, Stop being jealous of my new pet.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/asdfdasf.jpg

A couple of points

1) I am a country boy. Grew up in "old Kaintuk". Learned at a young age that wild things are meant to be "wild". It would be more humane to outright shoot it and kill it as to try to tame it.

2) I am one of the "old geezers" I never told you to go to the Doctor. I figure if you aren't smart enough to come to that on your own, well.........

3) Everybody has to learn life's little lessons. Mostly we hope to live through the whole "learning experience".

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#15]
lol. I too shoot coyotes.

*Like my "Government Motors" pickup?

* mangy coyote called in with a mouth call.  this is why i control the coyote population

19 total from november until two days ago when I shot my last one. Only 13 in this picture taken sometime in March i think

This is just my experiement. Never tried this before and probably never will have the chance again. Ya either way I will learn something. Didn't mean to insult anybody or step on anybody's toes I was jsut saying surprised most everyone thinks this is a completely stupid idea. I know it is stupid. Its very stupid. But its the summer and I work everyday allday on the farm and I need some excitement in my life. My GF is in Stillwater so I dont get to see her everyday like i should. Maybe trying to tame or atleast calm a wild beast would keep me busy.
Anybody watch Dances With Wolves lately?  Well, me either but I am jsut sayin.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember when skins brought $35 a piece in 1978/1979. I made quite a bit off of the coyotes I killed.
We just took the carcasses in after we shot them.
A buddy decided he wanted to keep a skin so we tube skinned one of them stinking bastards.
I shoot 'em, leave 'em where they fall unless in a hay pasture. They will tear up a hay baler. Don't ask me how I know.
I remember when people complained about 50 or so of them hung on the fence on Hwy 74 just south of Hwy 33.
The boys that had the dogs (Irish Wolf Hounds and gray hounds)  lived a 1/2 mile west of 74 and a mile south of 33.
And some more in Cashion.
I really don't like those damn things and will drop them anytime I can.
The one my brother had killed chickens (fighting roosters) and other dogs from places around his.
Even when that SOB was well fed, it would kill just for the hell of it.
Shoot those MFers, don't pet 'em.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

hell man that one is an old pup; looks to be about the size of a fox.

I seen a bitch with 4 pups a couple years back, they wern't very old, she was carrying one and three were trailing, I pulled over with the intention of catching one, but she wasn't scared too much by my rugged looks or yelling, she'd back off a bit, then come right back to her pups when I got too close, she yapped, growled and barred enough teeth to help me decide it wasn't worth getting bit trying to grab a pup.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Ya its probably to old to be worth trying to mess with. I still can't believe I caught it. lol. I have caught catfish, hogs, and now coyotes with my barehands.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ya its probably to old to be worth trying to mess with. I still can't believe I caught it. lol. I have caught catfish, hogs, and now coyotes with my barehands.

Congratulations. Here's your prize:

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm too slow to catch a Coyote, but I've caught many snakes.  If I was as fast as Nden, I would have a few 'yotes caught by now also!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#22]
i own a Veterinary lab.
if you still have the yote pup. take it in for OBSERVATION. they might euthanize and send the head off to the state for safety purposes.
if they cant tell..
get ready for the shot and boosters.

we deal with this all the time.
rabies is out there, along with 59 other pathogens.

leave wildlife alone..

did you know there are more horses verified as rabid than cats and dogs?

if state health find out about this. they will issue a warrant to your sheriffs office.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#23]
guess i shouldn't have let her go then huh? going to doctor after lunch. now everyone is happy!

I deleted the pictures to calm peoples nerves and slow the outrage. lol. didn't know this would get people so riled up. Sure was a cute pup. Maybe I'll see her again someday, through my scope, right before I squeeze the trigger.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm too slow to catch a Coyote, but I've caught many snakes.  If I was as fast as Nden, I would have a few 'yotes caught by now also!

hey,

if I think about basketball, baseball and rockclimbing in tandem I can last the whole 1.75 minutes, and in some situations that can be several lifetimes

hell man, right now the only thing I'm fast enough to catch is an eye infection that won't go away.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
guess i shouldn't have let her go then huh? going to doctor after lunch. now everyone is happy!

I deleted the pictures to calm peoples nerves and slow the outrage. lol. didn't know this would get people so riled up. Sure was a cute pup. Maybe I'll see her again someday, through my scope, right before I squeeze the trigger.....

Everyone has his own opinion on everything. So you shouldn't be surprised when you get them after posting on here Its been my observation that most everyone on here (other than me) is full of crap anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#26]
well i just didn't want someone on here to go and be a dickhead and turn me in. I mean sure what I did wasn't smart and maybe not exactly legal but I wasn't sure at the time if it was legal or not. It was fun, and i got a good story to tell. O well... Call me a Redneck i don't care, better than sitting at home playing xbox. Think i will stay off here for awhile. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone has his own opinion on everything. So you shouldn't be surprised when you get them after posting on here Its been my observation that most everyone on here (other than me) is full of crap anyway.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't think it's outrage as much as concern. We damn sure don't want you to have problems.
I've got plenty of medical problems myself in my mid 50s. And it is all because of stuff that I did around your age.
I just got tested to see if I'm still carrying MRSA. And will again in a couple of weeks if it comes back negative.
There is a lot of crap out there and a bite from a coyote is something to be very concerned about. I think Max, our HTF veterinarian, would tell you the same thing everybody else is. I'd damn sure get checked for the possible infectious diseases.
Believe it or not, I was young once too and probably did a lot worse than you did getting that coyote.
But I won't admit it.
Please get checked.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's outrage as much as concern. We damn sure don't want you to have problems.
I've got plenty of medical problems myself in my mid 50s. And it is all because of stuff that I did around your age.
I just got tested to see if I'm still carrying MRSA. And will again in a couple of weeks if it comes back negative.
There is a lot of crap out there and a bite from a coyote is something to be very concerned about. I think Max, our HTF veterinarian, would tell you the same thing everybody else is. I'd damn sure get checked for the possible infectious diseases.
Believe it or not, I was young once too and probably did a lot worse than you did getting that coyote.
But I won't admit it.
Please get checked.

Bath houses in SanFrancisco in the 70's & 80's led to many problems.....you're not alone!  Not that I was there, but Chuck has a few stories.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bath houses in SanFrancisco in the 70's & 80's led to many problems.....you're not alone!  Not that I was there, but Chuck Rat has a few stories.  

I know you and Raticia both have stories from your times up on BBM.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#31]
well I was worried about ya getting all stiffy, foaming at the mouth,getting all glassie eyed,and chewing on the couch cushion....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was a farm boy, caught wild animals al the time, ain't that big a deal. I can remember my dad bringing home a live(and pissed off! ) badger when I was a kid!

A live badger?  I hear them are some rowdy critters.  I think the only time I wanna see a live badger is when it's at the angry end of an ornery (is there any other kind?) daschund.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#33]
College kids do that every weekend anyway.  OR have times changed that much since I was there?  I hear they also hump legs and howl at the moon!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#34]
My family actually had a pet badger when I was a kid. It was funny as hell, stunk like the dickens at times, but was super playful. You could grab it by the skin on the back and it could turn around inside it's own skin.
It would lay in the sand to cool off in the summer,
Mom backed over one day and killed it.
We got it from an old Cajun that felt he could bribe us with the badger to stay out of his sugar cane.
It worked.
But we'd sneak behind his barn, find his jug of Mogan David, and drink it.
I was an 8 year old wino back then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top