Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 11/29/2016 3:36:26 PM EDT
I've heard that if you take a coyote's jaw and the whole pelt the DWR will just clip one ear leaving the option to sell the pelt as well as get the bounty. Has anybody here tried that before? If so I'm interested in knowing if there are some check-in locations that are known for being friendly to keeping the pelt vs. them cutting the whole ear off.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't take the whole ears off, they just clip a little piece, I'm not even sure if they remove any ear material, but they do cut both of them which is one of their requirements and they don't take the lower jaw, they just remove a tooth from it, but they do require you take the lower jaw in and not just a tooth. I take em whole heads because I don't like skinning them and I leave em there with them, but I don't think they'd care much if you took the pelt. You may be better off calling them at 801-450-3656 to get it straight from the horse's mouth rather than second hand info from a forum.

One thing to note: Make sure you have a GPS with you when you kill a yote because if you don't have the exact latitude/longitude, you aren't getting paid.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the phone number. I'm trying to avoid keeping a whole head in my freezer. Not much room and my wife would likely make me sleep outside...
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]

There has been so much bad information that has been passed around, its like Gun Show or Gun Counter Mythology.  

DWR LINK

Utah's Predator Control Program

The DWR predator-control program provides incentives for hunters to remove coyotes. Participants receive $50 for each properly documented coyote that they kill in Utah.

Are you interested in participating? Follow the links below to register for the program, find check-in locations, download the compensation form and obtain answers to frequently asked questions. Please keep in mind that this information may change and be updated at any time.

Complete the online training and registration course
Find coyote check-in locations and times
Download the Coyote Compensation Form
Review the statewide map (382 KB PDF)
Read the program report for 2013, 2014 or 2015 — (PDF)
See answers to common questions
Apply for the Targeted Predator Control Program
View Quote

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm all registered, just trying to learn as much as possible so I can have a successful season. Does anybody have a buyer of pelts they like to use? I figure most people just leave them there but if there are any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the information so far.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm all registered, just trying to learn as much as possible so I can have a successful season. Does anybody have a buyer of pelts they like to use? I figure most people just leave them there but if there are any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

View Quote

Talk to some of the meat processors.

I would be interested in two salted hides if you are selling them.

~Will
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've called them 3 separate times. Once to kind of get the rundown on whats legal for hunting at night after moving here and then twice to ask about what they need for the bounty.

I've signed up online, have my reg number and was told once they just want the ears. Then the second time (after someone told me that wasn't true) I was told just the jaw.

So from this thread, just bring the head with the filled out form and I'm GTG?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I was out west of Nephi coyote hunting with no luck,  but that's hunting.  Has any one tried hunting east of emigration canyon?  During the archery hunt, the coyotes in the Wasatch were plentiful. I ran across several to my surprise in the afternoon.  I know it's not a rifle area but I would like the fawns to survive as best they can.  I'm not looking to collect on a bounty or keep the hides.  Just looking  for some winter exercise and predator control.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've called them 3 separate times. Once to kind of get the rundown on whats legal for hunting at night after moving here and then twice to ask about what they need for the bounty.

I've signed up online, have my reg number and was told once they just want the ears. Then the second time (after someone told me that wasn't true) I was told just the jaw.

So from this thread, just bring the head with the filled out form and I'm GTG?
View Quote

If one told you ears and the other told you jaw, then just take both the ears and the jaw, or if you're lazy, take the whole head. Don't take the whole body though, they won't accept it.

As for night hunting, you need to call the local sheriffs to ask about it. This is a gray area because the state laws only mention spotlighting and those who use NV/Thermal optics are the ones in the gray area because they aren't using lights. If you're spot lighting, you need a permit in Iron county and for other counties it's up to the sheriff unless you can find it specifically listed in the law books somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

~Will
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Will
do not salt them! it will make the hair slip. stretch and dry them. i.have always done this and have several nice pelts hanging in my man cave. after they've been tanned they will.last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
do not salt them! it will make the hair slip. stretch and dry them. i.have always done this and have several nice pelts hanging in my man cave. after they've been tanned they will.last a lifetime.
View Quote

What do you use to stretch them?
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top