Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 5/1/2009 7:44:04 PM EDT
Is it illegal to cover (NOT remove, deface or alter) the serial number on a handgun?

I have a little snubby revolver I'm thinking about carrying with a clipdraw.  Problem is, only place to attach the clipdraw is right over the serial number.

(for those that don't know, a clipdraw uses a sort of double sided tape to hold it on the firearm).

Illegal or not?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:55:56 PM EDT
I have Crimson Trace grips on my M&P pistols. They cover the serial number all i had to do at the pistol license section was remove them so they could see the number. As far as i know as long as you can remove the obstruction and it doesn't deface or otherwise permanantly make the number unreadable you will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:29:51 PM EDT
Good to go, but what do I know.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:08:11 PM EDT
personally i wouldn't use the clipdraw on account of hte triggerguard being uncovered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:44:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By shiky:
personally i wouldn't use the clipdraw on account of hte triggerguard being uncovered.

Normally, neither would I, but this is a revolver with a million pound trigger pull.  

When it's time to shoot, I need to enlist the help of a friend!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:40:50 AM EDT
No problem.
IF the serial number needed to be reveled, it could.
Were you to cover the number with MIG wire, there would be a problem.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:20:51 AM EDT
Have at it. Case in point: S&W's location of record for the SN is the bottom of the grip strap. Yes, most have it under the yoke, but that's not the "official" location. Most grips cover the grip, especially things like Pachy's and Hogues.  Not a problem at all.

"DEFACING" the serial number is entirely different and worth a stay in the Graybar.
Top Top