Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 2:13:18 AM EDT
Doing a little light reading for the course I'm tomorrow and come across these "powers of entry".  Note the lack of need to get a warrant from a magistrate, just flash the ID (but only if asked) and in you go.  

SCHEDULE 2 Section 10
POWERS OF ENTRY, ETC.
1 In this Schedule—
“authorised officer” means authorised officer of an enforcement
authority,
“premises” includes any place and any vehicle.
2 An authorised officer has the right to do any of the following, on production
(if required) of his written authority—
(a) at any reasonable hour, enter any premises (other than premises
used only as a private dwelling house not open to the public) which
he considers it is necessary for him to enter
for the purpose of the
proper exercise of his functions by virtue of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of this
Act,
(b) there carry out such inspections and examinations as he considers
necessary for that purpose,
(c) if he considers it necessary for that purpose, require the production
of any substance or product, and inspect it, and take and retain
samples of or extracts from it,
(d) take possession of any substance or product on the premises, and
retain it for as long as he considers necessary for that purpose,
(e) require any person to give him such information, or afford him such
facilities and assistance, as he considers necessary for that purpose.
3 An authorised officer may, if he considers it necessary for the purpose of the
proper exercise of his functions by virtue of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of this Act,
arrange for any substance, product, sample or extract mentioned in
paragraph 2(c) or (d) to be analysed.
4 An authorised officer may make such purchases and secure the provision of
such services as he considers necessary for the purpose of the proper
exercise of his functions by virtue of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of this Act.

And what are these powers for? drugs? illegal firearms? organised crime?

No, it's for the anti-smoking nazi's to raid your premises in case someone is smoking.
Welcome to Blair's Brave New World.

(Guess which Arfomer is going to have anti-smoking nazi added to his job description any time soon?)
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Doing a little light reading for the course I'm tomorrow and come across these "powers of entry".  Note the lack of need to get a warrant from a magistrate, just flash the ID (but only if asked) and in you go.  

(other than premises
used only as a private dwelling house not open to the public
)

that's when we can get a magistrates warrant

Not really going to affect me, I think they should ban them outright... [flame suit on]  

One thing that does amuse me is that when someone "refuses" to stop smoking when approached by one of the enforcement officers they will have to call in police to assist / arrest them...... Talk about waste of resources.

waste of resources/ yes I have to agree but it pays for my ammo.

No powers of arrest, fixed penalty notice for the smoker and fine the person in charge of the premises. Good evening landlord there's somebody with a lit ciggy in their hand, you're nicked.  

I'm going to need the Nelson touch at my club, (what smoke? I see no smoke!) it's on my patch, and the firing points are enclosed premises, as defined.  And all gallery range butts are "substantially" enclosed places.  Stand under the roof, no smoking, step forward to target frame, no roof, smoking allowed

And we haven't even mentioned company vehicles yet

Crazy crazy world, another day, another ban-it law in Blair's Britain

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#5]
So how will this affect black powder shooters

...and if you think I'm coming because someone won't put their fag out you can whistle. Call me when the fight's broken out.........
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So how will this affect black powder shooters

Only if you are putting blackpowder in your roll ups.

As I said earlier I'm on the smoking law enforcment course tomorrow (I didn't volunteer) and have spent today doing the background reading.  There are differences between the Scottish and English law.  You can smoke in your company car if you can also use for personnal use.

More here if you really give a toss
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's when we can get a magistrates warrant

If it takes less than 5 minutes to get the warrant you might catch me, otherwise include littering (ash/filter) and nick me for that.

I've since stopped smoking, but I can just see many die-hard smokers just wanting the police to wake up magistrates in the early hours for a warrant. Unless it's a premeditated smoke and there's intel that this hienous crime is gonna take place and the police are on stake-out waiting for the light-up.

How do you stand "going equipped for a smoke"?

These stupid laws and their enforcement (and all the other BS that goes with it) are the main reason my brother and his wife left the police to go 'proceeding' in the southern hemisphere.
The sooner the kids are grown up and I can leave this country the better. The way things are at the moment I might not wait.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, Western Australia are looking for UK Bobbies at the moment(yes, I know , so is the UK populace)..................they're not too hot on pc are they?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top