Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:59:02 PM EDT
Hello,

I have a question that only you guys can help me or guide me into the right direction. I’m currently deaf, Just a normal dude who happened to have the BRD (Black Rifle Disease), which speak in ASL (American Sign Language) I would suspect my situation would make things a little harder.  Guns are natural to me. I have several and currently building a AR-15 with almost STAG stuff.

I have been trying to find out if there is any instructor who can use sign language (ASL) for me to take the basic course and all of that in the future. I also have been trying to see and asking NRA HQ with emails asking if there are any courses for people or have interrupters provided at the NRA headquarters.  

Since I would like to obtain my CCW from the state of Florida because my girlfriend has many family members and I thought I would pack it when I’m there. But I would need to show a proof of class or something like that to obtain it before I mail the documents to the state of Florida.

I was wondering if you guys know a direct number to the NRA since I thought I would call them but I don’t find a number there for me to get it. It would be easier since I sent them two emails but never gotten a word from them.

Maybe thought I would test my luck here …

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:21:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a direct number and have never gotten very good response from emails.I used to have the number for member services,but can't seem to find it.I believe it was Michael Fox (not THAT one) who handled MD stuff.Anyway,someone here HAS to know something.I suspect that under the ADA there going to have to make some reasonable accomodation for you.Dave
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Training access issues aside, did you review the Florida list of accepted experience/training yet?
It's pretty broad . . . in fact, your state hunter ed will satisfy it.

Here's the FL statute:
www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC06.HTM&Title=-%3E2005-%3ECh0790-%3ESection%2006#0790.06

(h)  Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1.  Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2.  Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3.  Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4.  Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5.  Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6.  Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7.  Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

So, you may already be able to cover that requirement. If not, and if the NRA lets you down, AKAIK, the MD DNR is required by state law to provide you with a hunter education class that will accommodate any disability. I'm inactive with MD right now, but that's IIRC.

I've got the full list of phone numbers from my NRA instructor newsletter, e-mail me your addy and I'll send it to you. My current NRA instructor credentials are only for CRSO and I'm not ASL qualified or I'd offer to help you myself.

Good luck,
Ed
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks man, I will email you when im done with researching for the list, I would love to take that class,

I am still trying to call NRA right now and still no luck, always putting me on hold...

need to find a woman who works in NRA.  i can flirt with to get some information :)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a woman come up to me (that itself should have tipped me off) in Waldorf.Looks kind of funny at my NRA license plate (yes,MD MVA does offer them as a fraternal tag), and says "Is that YOUR truck?". I'm expecting to get an earful when I simply reply,"Yes,maam,it is".She smiles and says,"Cool.That's who I work for!" Sorry.She was married,but there must be a few out there.Good luck,Dave
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got some numbers that might help.
NRA Member Programs (800)NRA-3888
Manager Training (703)267-1431
National Instructor Trainer (703)267-1423

I'd think for a course the instructor would need an interpreter (or bring one along) as it would be tough to sign and demonstrate at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife just did her first steps NRA class, I know the instructor from college. I'll ask him.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#7]
IM sent, he found one in N VA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello,

I think I have found one that someone sent me an email, It has been useful and all of that, I do appericate all of your help on this matter.

I will be seeing how this leads to...

I thank all of you for your help on this one, you have no idea how much this has helped me ..

THANK YOU !

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top