Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 7:19:34 PM EDT
Daley troubles

Mayor Daley on Wednesday angrily accused the chairman of the Cook County Republican Party of hitting "below the belt" by offering a $10,000 cash reward to anyone who coughs up information leading to the mayor's conviction.

U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald's relentless pursuit of City Hall corruption has made the mayor's life miserable.

But Daley said he will not allow himself to become a political punching bag for Gary Skoien, a party chairman willing to "cross the line" of common decency with a $10,000 cash reward.

"That stunt was below the belt. It was deeply offensive to me, my family and I do not appreciate it. I have children. I have a wife. I have nieces and nephews and other family members. For them to be exposed to that kind of hatred against me is patently unfair," Daley said.

"These are challenging difficult times. But, no one -- NO ONE -- ever should put a bounty on someone else's head," he said.

No apologies

Skoien said he never attacked Daley's family or "called him a crook." All he did was put up a reward that might persuade someone who knows something to come forward. For that, the GOP chairman makes no apologies. "In terms of fairness, below the belt, stunt, etc., which is the bigger one -- offering $10,000 to have people come forward to assist an investigation of corruption or spending tens of millions of dollars giving money to phony minority contractors, hiring incompetent people and hiring political people over qualified people?" Skoien said.

Skoien's offer gave Daley a rare opportunity to go on the offensive.

But the mayor was on defense when questions turned to attorney Michael Shakman's effort to hold him in civil contempt.

Once again, the mayor insisted that he does not sign off on political hirings at City Hall.. "I never knew anybody violated the Shakman decree. I was the one who signed it. If anybody violates the Shakman decree, it's wrong. You cannot violate the Shakman decree. Simple as that. I signed it when I was state's attorney. I signed it as mayor. And I believe in it," Daley said.

As for Shakman's efforts to identify political groups that may have benefitted, Daley acknowledged that "there could be thousands" of city employees who are also members of the Hispanic Democratic Organization, the Lakefront Independent Democratic Organization and other groups. "Anybody can be ... as long as they don't do it on city time.... There's nothing wrong with that," Daley said.

The mayor's denials did nothing to stop the burst of aldermanic independence inspired by Daley's weakened political state.

At Wednesday's City Council meeting, Ald. Ricardo Munoz (22nd) introduced an ordinance to require Daley's Law Department to seek "full recovery" from individuals or "political campaign committees" that receive "dirty money" from Hired Truck or other contractors, while Ald. Joe Moore (49th) demanded once again that Daley abandon his three-year effort to vacate the Shakman decree.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Hooray!  I doubt it will lead to much, but it is nice to know he is squirming.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If ya cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Poor dickie.

He never gave  two shits  for anyone that wasn't a Bridgeport family friend, or ass kissing machine pol.  In his eyes, the little people can go fuck themselves. Get in line or you, and your family gets crushed.  Welcome to the machine.

Cry me a river .
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If ya cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Poor dickie.

He never gave  two shits  for anyone that wasn't a Bridgeport family friend, or ass kissing machine pol.  In his eyes, the little people can go fuck themselves. Get in line or you, and your family gets crushed.  Welcome to the machine.

Cry me a river .

+1      What Woodbutcher said ! ! !       Boo Hoo ! !

he he he
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
He's gonna' be fine.

S#@$ floats.

Larry
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
is that 10 grand a cushy city job ?????  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Skoien is considering raising the bounty.  He's also unemployed now.

Bounty on Daley costs GOP chief his day job

By Brendan McCarthy
Tribune staff reporter
Published July 29, 2005

The chairman of the Cook County Republican Party was fired from his real estate job Thursday for offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the indictment and conviction of Mayor Richard Daley.

Gary Skoien's offer Tuesday infuriated Daley and, most importantly, Skoien's boss, a Democrat and outspoken supporter of the mayor. Skoien was terminated Thursday as an officer of Prime Group Inc., a Chicago-based real estate firm where he has worked since 1990.

"I think Gary's political activity and his political zealousness [have] interfered with his responsibilities in the private sector," company Chairman Mike Reschke said.
[email protected]

Since when can you fire someone because of their personal political views? Was Skoien trying to speak on behalf of Prime Group? How is this legal?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually, Illinoize is an 'employment at will' state; having said that, I still think they could get beat out of some $$$ in a civil suit is their ONLY reason for terming the guy was his pissing off of Hizzoner.

Larry
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
We may get rid of Daley, but we'll probably end up with something worse...like Jesse Jackson Jr. He's talking about challenging the mayor in the next election...I'm not sure which one would be worse.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We may get rid of Daley, but we'll probably end up with something worse...like Jesse Jackson Jr. He's talking about challenging the mayor in the next election...I'm not sure which one would be worse.

Aren't they both of the same mindset if you will?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck daley, jr , AND the french.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]
woodbutcher is ON A ROLL!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I HATE Mayor Daley  jr and sr
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Fuck daley, jr , AND the french. hr

yea fuck daley and his brother.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Daley hands out welfare checks
Daley loves minority thugs
Daley loves Liberals
Daley loves Homosexuals

This is why Chicago will always support the furer. As long as he is ok with two guys doing the hibidy jibidy and black teenagers shooting each other over gym shoes and baby formula, he will rule the ghettos and gay neigborhoods of Chicago.

I really could give a shit what happens to Daley and/or Chicago as long as he and Governor Blowgoatshit leave my rifles alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top