Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2010 2:51:12 PM EDT
Any roofers out there?

I would like to know how much you are currently charging to strip off the old shingles and replace them with 30 year architectural shingles.  Not a real steep roof but I'm no expert.

Yes, a new AR would be nice, but at this point a new roof might be nicer.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
About 4,000 that's what mine cost
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
We just had our 2,600 sqf single story ranch style reshingled for $7,250.00 in Pearland, TX.  

We wanted to self install a metal roof however the insurance company.......would not wait until we got our income tax return back.

Price above included removal of old single layer of shingles, up to 2 pieces of plywood to repair any areas needing replaced on the roof, and installation of 30 year shingles to meet coastal county windstorm code with certification.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
My house south of Dallas ran about $5500 with a 30 year dimensional shingle. I forgot the number of squares, but it's 1600 sq ft, medium pitch. I had another quote for $6500.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any roofers out there?

I would like to know how much you are currently charging to strip off the old shingles and replace them with 30 year architectural shingles.  Not a real steep roof but I'm no expert.

Yes, a new AR would be nice, but at this point a new roof might be nicer.

Thanks.

30yr comp should run around $205.00/SQ (Houston area - remove and install)
SQ = 100 SF
+vents, drip edge, valley metal, chimney flashing

Quoted:
My house south of Dallas ran about $5500 with a 30 year dimensional shingle. I forgot the number of squares, but it's 1600 sq ft, medium pitch. I had another quote for $6500.

5500/16 = $343.00/SQ  -  (Unless it is 2-story + very steep + replacing some skylights, etc).

That is a pretty small roof (unless your house is 2-story)
an average single story roof is about 25SQ  (2500 SF)

ETA: or is 1600 SF the interior of the home? Because $5500.00 would be about right for ~25SQ roof.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks folks.

This is the info I need.  At $205 per square, the price is down a bit from post Hurricane Ike days and it may be time for me to get some bids.

Again, thanks.

Bill

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: or is 1600 SF the interior of the home? Because $5500.00 would be about right for ~25SQ roof.

1600 is the actual sq ft of the home, not the roof. Sorry to put the scare into ya.

I think they estimated 26 squares. I bought a second solar vent, had them reinstall the first one and add a second. I also had them put ridge vents on. I'm not sure I like how the ridge vents look, but my attic is a hell of a lot cooler so far. I can tell a difference in the house.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Does it save a decent amount if you strip all of the old shingles and paper yourself? Mine is held down with those huge 2" long staple nails, wtf?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1600 is the actual sq ft of the home, not the roof. Sorry to put the scare into ya.

I think they estimated 26 squares. I bought a second solar vent, had them reinstall the first one and add a second. I also had them put ridge vents on. I'm not sure I like how the ridge vents look, but my attic is a hell of a lot cooler so far. I can tell a difference in the house.

If your house can support them (enough soffit vents) ridge vents are probably the best vents.
I am not a fan of a/c power vents as it's hard to know when they stop working unless you are checking them regularly.
Low tech is sometimes better.

Quoted:
Does it save a decent amount if you strip all of the old shingles and paper yourself? Mine is held down with those huge 2" long staple nails, wtf?

Removing and hauling the shingles is about  ~$40.00/SQ
The big problem I see with this is coordination of the replacement.
Once you pull of the shingles and felt paper, your roof will leak like a sieve until new felt paper is installed.
Most roofers will remove and replace the shingles quickly, a lot of times the same day (or at least get the felt on).

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the idea of saving $40 per square by pulling off the old roof myself, but its been 20 years since I replaced a roof myself.  So this is a job left to the professionals.

Since this is not an insurance job, I just need to get a quality roof installed within my budget.  

Thanks for everyone's input.

Bill

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top