Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:03:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 6:07:16 PM EST by Iggyort]
LINK

Cops: Tenafly lawyer stored guns, ammo, Nazi mementos
Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Last updated: Wednesday April 30, 2008, EDT 5:14 AM BY JASON TSAISTAFF WRITER

ENGLEWOOD - A Tenafly real estate lawyer hoarded dozens of firearms, more than 1,000 rounds of hollow-point ammunition and Nazi memorabilia in a public storage facility, police said Tuesday.

Authorities obtained a search warrant for a unit rented by Gerald Taufield, |who works for Jersey City developer Panepinto Properties, after Englewood police received a tip last month about the cache of weapons, Detective Capt. Steven Sabo said.

Once inside, police and federal firearms officials found the guns - including two assault rifles - stacked inside the 10-by-5-foot unit, with many of the 21 handguns stuffed into socks, Sabo said.

WEAPONSRuger .22-caliber handgun
H&R .32-caliber revolver
Astra 9mm handgun
Colt .38-caliber revolver
Beretta .25-caliber handgun
Colt .25-caliber handgun (stolen in NYC in 1974)
Mauser .32-caliber handgun
Walther 9mm handgun
Two-shot Derringer .22-caliber handgun
Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver
Glock 9mm handgun
Colt 45, .45-caliber handgun
Flint-lock .50 caliber black powder rifle.
Double barrel, 16-guage shotgun
6.5mmRussian long rifle
Double barrel flint-lock shotgun.
Mauser 7.92-caliber bolt action rifle
Winchester .222-caliber rifle
Remington 7mm long rifle
Fabrique National “thirty ought six” 30-06 rifle (stolen from Denver)
Source: Englewood Police Department
"We discovered some Nazi paraphernalia," Sabo said. "However, it's more like historic collectors' items - armbands and stuff like that."

Investigators also found artwork that may have belonged to Taufield's father, a Tenafly art dealer who was killed almost 20 years ago while leaving a Greenwich Village gallery that he owned, authorities said.

It was unclear, though, if the paintings were once owned by Arnold Taufield, 54, who was found clutching $8,000 in cash in May 1989 after he was fatally shot in the head near Washington Square Park, police said.

On Tuesday, Gerald Taufield, 36, was arrested shortly before 9 a.m. by Englewood and Tenafly police as he drove away from the Trafalgar Road home that he purchased in October 2003 for $1.4 million, according to property records.

He faces charges of unlawful possession of weapons and illegal ammunition.

Police also charged him with receiving stolen property after finding a .25-caliber Colt revolver that was reported stolen in New York City in 1974 and a Belgian sporting rifle reported stolen in Denver, Colo., this Tuesday morning, police said.

Taufield could not be reached Tuesday afternoon.

Authorities said the weapons confiscated were varied, particularly among the 27 rifles and shotguns that ranged from flintlock muskets to 16-gauge shotguns. Also found were pellet and flare guns, and five Civil War-era slow-burning fuses, police said.

Sabo said county police aided in the search, along with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the U.S. Marshals.

"The stuff was packed in there. It was just piled up," the police captain said.

Additional charges could follow an investigation into the background of each weapon, Sabo said.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:11:15 PM EST
They will have a hard time making a 34 year old stolen gun charge stick.

The HP ammo will get him tho..........

WOnder why his wife or girlfriend was so pissed off at him?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:26:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By fxntime:
They will have a hard time making a 34 year old stolen gun charge stick.

The HP ammo will get him tho..........

WOnder why his wife or girlfriend was so pissed off at him?

Here in NJ the GF or the wife are always part of the story.

Iggyort
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:37:41 PM EST
One word: amateur.

My list will go on a lot longer than that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:11:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 9:14:08 PM EST by duster78]
why will the HP ammo get him, is therea limit on how much you can have. is there anything prohibiting the possesion of HP ammo, i though it was prohibited to use in self defense, or in the commision of a crime (stiffer penalty) bt not to own. hell i can buy it at a bunch of different sores in NJ?

from State police website

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:16:40 PM EST
oh and i didnt realize that flintlocks and double barrel shotguns were considered assault rifles, using that rational my AR's will probably be considered anti-aircraft surface to air projectiles.....iDIOTS
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:23:23 AM EST
I didn't see any AW's in that list or anything else out of the ordnary, of course having NAZI momentos is verboten in the peoples republic...as for 1,000 hollow points: it could easily have been two bricks of 22's.
Stroage facility must be the same as your home....there's always more to the story.
What prompts the authorities and the media to embark on these witch hunts?
BTW: Colt never made a 25cal revolver and if it was "stolen in 1974" it would be very difficult to prove that he stole it and un-wittingly pruchased or had it gifted to him.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:56:06 AM EST
I don't get it. Is he in trouble for having that shit in a storage unit or something? I don't see anything off the all on that list.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:16:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 6:18:58 AM EST by Fishpaw]

Originally Posted By flyingbrick:
I don't get it. Is he in trouble for having that shit in a storage unit or something? I don't see anything off the all on that list.

+1...I dont get it either. You are legally allowed to own all of that stuff. There is no law against owning Nazi memorabilia outside of Germany itself. Many people find it distasteful, but its 100% legal to own. And those guns. Im sure many probably were inherited from his dad. And the hollow point as its allready been pointed out is also not illegal. WTF?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:25:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 6:26:36 AM EST by flyingbrick]
I love the way they said he had dozens on guns. The guy had 27, just over 2 dozen, but it sounds better when you say dozens, like he had 60 or something. I mean honestly, does 27 not seem like that many guns to you guys? It doesn't seem like many to me, especially if some are old flint locks and stuff that would probably never get used.
And 1,000 rounds of ammo I usually do the whole mail order thing so maybe I don't think it's a big deal. I don't know. I always buy ammo at least 250 rounds at a time and that's usually only to try it out. If it's good I usually buy 1,000 rounds of it if money allows.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:40:19 AM EST
Welcome to the Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan, where by action of the elected legislature and decision of the state supreme court,
where firearms are concerned you are presumed by law to be guilty until such time as you can prove yourself to be otherwise.

Does anyone here remember falling through the looking glass??
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:46:39 AM EST
wow i am screwed I hoard guns,I have nazi memorabilia and have hollow point ammo
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:53:37 AM EST
Doesn't everybody?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:53:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 8:55:40 AM EST by Wojo]
The guy is 36 so he stole a pistol in NY at the age of 2? I know they didn't say he stole it, but the math makes it pretty funny.

Is it illegal to store firearms in a storgage facility? Is this the legal issue or is it an ugly break-up and the ex is dating a cop or something?

I've read the list a few times and other then the stolen items, I am having a hard time finding an issue, even the Nazi shit. Are museums now targeted as well? The owner of Space Farms Zoo in Sussex better hide their incredible collection of artifacts.

My buddies dad had an authentic Nazi flag in his garage that he told as a war time souvenior. The Luger he had was loaned to an extended family member to try at the range and decide to kill himself instead with it. That was a shame, the finish on it was mint.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:28:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:11:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 12:12:14 PM EST by TMB9862]
It sounds like non of it was registered but who knows. Chances are when he went to register them they would have picked up on the stolen gun before he got it on his permit. So even thought they don't tell us it sounds like they weren't, so yeah, he's in trouble.
The hollow points, who knows. The only way I can think of them being illegal is if it is pistol ammo. I'm not sure but NJ probably has laws similar to NY where you need a pistol license to buy pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:24:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 12:25:05 PM EST by rkbar15]

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:

See if you can arrange the Queens DA to do the photo op. He widely spaces every box of ammo on tables so it takes up 20 times as much space, In your case he'll have to get a couple of hundred rental tables for all your crap.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:11:10 PM EST
I'm sure my stacked wooden ammo crates from CMP would make a decent photo op.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:31:07 PM EST
I'm still not sure what's wrong with the hollow point ammunition. My understanding is that you are allowed to posess hollow point ammunition on your own property. Is the key here that the rental facility is not his own property?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:44:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By TMB9862:
I'm not sure but NJ probably has laws similar to NY where you need a pistol license to buy pistol ammo.

I don't think that's a law in NY as much as it is a policy of some stores. What if I own a 9mm AR? Or a .40 Baretta Storm carbine? I don't need a pistol permit to own them. As much as I dislike Dick's Sporting Goods, they do have some good deals on Remington UMC 9mm now and then, and every time I go in, they always ask for my pistol permit, I always refuse, the manager comes over, asks me what I"m shooting it out of, and I always ask him what business it is of his. Maybe it's a 9mm handgun, maybe a 9mm rifle, maybe something really cool that I don't even know about (had to get that old school reference in). In the end, I always walk out with the ammo under my arm. Have my actions changed anything? No, but maybe atleast one person will think about how rediculous that policy is.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:01:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By MGLax13:
I don't think that's a law in NY as much as it is a policy of some stores. What if I own a 9mm AR? Or a .40 Baretta Storm carbine? I don't need a pistol permit to own them.

Actually it is a NYS law but it should only apply to ammo that does not have a rifle chambered to use that "pistol" ammunition. There are some drones in chain stores and some gun stores that either don't know what the law is or just choose to ignore it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:17:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By dmcg:
I'm still not sure what's wrong with the hollow point ammunition. My understanding is that you are allowed to posess hollow point ammunition on your own property. Is the key here that the rental facility is not his own property?

I've researched this a little further, and there are exemptions for possession of hollow points. In general, under 2C:39-3 g(2), hollow points may be kept at a persons dwelling , premises or other land owned or possessed. So is the state saying a storge facility is none of the above?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:20:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 5:25:49 PM EST by Larain60]
ENGLEWOOD - A Tenafly real estate lawyer hoarded (i.e., "collected") dozens of firearms, more than 1,000 rounds of hollow-point ammunition and Nazi memorabilia (oh the noes, i.e., WWII items) in a public storage facility, police said Tuesday.

Authorities obtained a search warrant for a unit rented (i.e., unit he leased/had a right to possess) by Gerald Taufield, |who works for Jersey City developer Panepinto Properties, after Englewood police received a tip last month about the cache of weapons, Detective Capt. Steven Sabo said.

Once inside, police and federal firearms officials found the guns - including two assault rifles (ok lets see where the assault rifles are listed) - stacked inside the 10-by-5-foot unit, with many of the 21 handguns stuffed into socks (oh God, Bore Stores with silicone impregnated to not have the guns rust), Sabo said.

WEAPONSRuger .22-caliber handgun
H&R .32-caliber revolver
Astra 9mm handgun (model 400/600 8 shot mag probably)
Colt .38-caliber revolver
Beretta .25-caliber handgun
Colt .25-caliber handgun (stolen in NYC in 1974) did he have knowledge of it?
Mauser .32-caliber handgun
Walther 9mm handgun
Two-shot Derringer .22-caliber handgun
Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver
Glock 9mm handgun (potentially large capacity mag, if over 15 rounds would be large capacity magazine charge if not blocked -- but not assault rifle).
Colt 45, .45-caliber handgun
Flint-lock .50 caliber black powder rifle.
Double barrel, 16-guage shotgun
6.5mmRussian long rifle
Double barrel flint-lock shotgun.
Mauser 7.92-caliber bolt action rifle
Winchester .222-caliber rifle
Remington 7mm long rifle
Fabrique National “thirty ought six” 30-06 rifle (stolen from Denver) (perhaps mauser type rifle- did he have knowledge of stolen gear?)
Source: Englewood Police Department
"We discovered some Nazi paraphernalia," Sabo said. "However, it's more like historic collectors' items - armbands and stuff like that."

Investigators also found artwork that may have belonged to Taufield's father, a Tenafly art dealer who was killed almost 20 years ago while leaving a Greenwich Village gallery that he owned, authorities said. (... and this is relevant b/c... he inherited from his father or was gifted to him?)

It was unclear, though, if the paintings were once owned by Arnold Taufield, 54, who was found clutching $8,000 in cash in May 1989 after he was fatally shot in the head near Washington Square Park, police said.

On Tuesday, Gerald Taufield, 36, was arrested shortly before 9 a.m. by Englewood and Tenafly police as he drove away from the Trafalgar Road home that he purchased in October 2003 for $1.4 million, according to property records.(translates, well off lawyer that will be able to afford competent and aggressive legal counsel to represent him in this).

He faces charges of unlawful possession of weapons and illegal ammunition.

Police also charged him with receiving stolen property after finding a .25-caliber Colt revolver that was reported stolen in New York City in 1974 and a Belgian sporting rifle reported stolen in Denver, Colo., this Tuesday morning, police said.

Taufield could not be reached Tuesday afternoon.

Authorities said the weapons confiscated were varied, particularly among the 27 rifles and shotguns that ranged from flintlock muskets to 16-gauge shotguns. Also found were pellet point is .... and flare guns flare guns are outlawed too??) , and five Civil War-era slow-burning fusesillegal? dont think so ...), police said.

Sabo said county police aided in the search, along with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the U.S. Marshals.

"The stuff was packed in there. It was just piled upand the point is ...)," the police captain said.

Additional charges could follow an investigation into the background of each weapon, Sabo said.

what are we missing here? Estranged wife? what
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:32:02 PM EST

Investigators also found artwork that may have belonged to Taufield's father, a Tenafly art dealer who was killed almost 20 years ago while leaving a Greenwich Village gallery that he owned, authorities said.

My god man...Do you know what this means?! He had art!... Art I say! ...heavens forbid..and his father was an art dealer...hmmmm....who was killed.....yes....perhaps with this very art itself? ...Clearly these are assault paintings! Arrest that man! He is a danger to all art lovers!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:10:07 PM EST
obviously you've never heard of the ultimate baby-killing paintings.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:21:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Actually it is a NYS law but it should only apply to ammo that does not have a rifle chambered to use that "pistol" ammunition. There are some drones in chain stores and some gun stores that either don't know what the law is or just choose to ignore it.

I just realized in NYS it's illegal to sell it, not to possess it isn't it? I'm not sure what Jerseys laws are. If their is a possession law chances are if you got busted with an 9mm handgun, 1000rnds of 9mm, no handgun permit, and no long gun that can use 9mm they could tack on the ammo charge. A decent lawyer could probably get it dropped but the DA will usually stick you with as many charges as they can. That makes you feel better when half of them get dropped even though they were BS anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:41:51 AM EST
NY state used to require a pistol license to buy pistol caliber ammunition. This is no longer the case, but most large chain stores still ask for a license, and there are many many small shops that won't sell pistol ammo to a non licence holder. The law for buying is 18 for rifle and 21 for pistol ammo, but with the number of pistol caliber rifles out there it really dosen't matter any more. It is not against any law for an non licence holder to possess pistol ammo in NY state, but it is illegal in NYC.

Originally Posted By TMB9862:
I just realized in NYS it's illegal to sell it, not to possess it isn't it? I'm not sure what Jerseys laws are. If their is a possession law chances are if you got busted with an 9mm handgun, 1000rnds of 9mm, no handgun permit, and no long gun that can use 9mm they could tack on the ammo charge. A decent lawyer could probably get it dropped but the DA will usually stick you with as many charges as they can. That makes you feel better when half of them get dropped even though they were BS anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:41:36 AM EST
Penal Law

§ 270.00 Unlawfully dealing with fireworks and dangerous fireworks.

5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this
section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:59:38 AM EST
The key is the word exclusivly. If the 9mm Luger I got at Wallmart also chambers in a carbine or rifle, then it isn't designed exclusivly for use in a pistol.

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Penal Law

§ 270.00 Unlawfully dealing with fireworks and dangerous fireworks.

5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this
section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:51:13 AM EST
It doesn't matter what is and isn't legal in NY, this guy is in Jersey.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:17:14 PM EST
It doesn't matter what is and isn't legal in Jersey, this guy went from being a typical Arfcommer to front page news, with more legal wrangling to follow.

The article is incomplete and inaccurate, obviously.

One might speculate that he may have been a "prohibited person".

With a $1.4M estate, no point to rent a storage unit unless either:
a) prohibited person or
b) GF / Wife relationship spiraling down into nasty breakup
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:00:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By Camdeck:
It doesn't matter what is and isn't legal in Jersey, this guy went from being a typical Arfcommer to front page news, with more legal wrangling to follow.

The article is incomplete and inaccurate, obviously.

One might speculate that he may have been a "prohibited person".

With a $1.4M estate, no point to rent a storage unit unless either:
a) prohibited person or
b) GF / Wife relationship spiraling down into nasty breakup

Both seem like good reasions to me....there's got to be more to the story that isn't being disclosed, else the Attorney would be having an "associate" breaking the DA's balls.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:05:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 4:05:50 AM EST by rkbar15]

Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold:
The key is the word exclusivly. If the 9mm Luger I got at Wallmart also chambers in a carbine or rifle, then it isn't designed exclusivly for use in a pistol.

As I previously posted that's true. Unfortunately some stores/dealers have decided to make up their own rules and refuse to sell 9 mm and other pistol caliber ammo unless you have a valid NYS pistol license or are otherwise exempt under NY law.
Top Top