Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/1/2007 11:19:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 11:26:12 PM EST by thedoctors308]
A friend who lives in the Chicago suburbs would like to know what the gun laws of Cook County are, if one day they happened to find a handgun, or long gun while cleaning out the residence of a deceased relative.
Said persons have not found any guns, but have found some empty ammo boxes, and would like to know what they should do were they to find any firearms.
Said persons do not have a FOID, nor did their deceased relatives.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:52:47 AM EST
Well Cook just recently passed an enhanced assault weapons ban:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=23&t=249347

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=23&t=250754

but it may or may not only apply if the particular municipality hasn't already legislated on the subject (still unclear).

Regardless of what the firearm is, if the "said persons" (I'm gonna refer to them as "relatives") desire to keep a firearm, then they should get FOIDs, because they will need them for lawful possession. I'm not sure if there is any grace period for inheritances, but I see now:

(430 ILCS 65/12) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑12)
Sec. 12. The provisions of this Act shall not apply to the passing or transfer of any firearm or firearm ammunition upon the death of the owner thereof to his heir or legatee or to the passing or transfer of any firearm or firearm ammunition incident to any legal proceeding or action until 60 days after such passing or transfer.
(Source: Laws 1967, p. 2600.)

So, I guess they have a 60 day grace period.

If they desire to dispose of them, I would GUESS (LEO's correct me if I am wrong -- paging npd233) that they could probably stop by the local popo, explain the situation, and drop them off (maybe calling first to let them know that they are coming).

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:43:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:58:49 AM EST
+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:17:07 AM EST
Selling them privately is a great idea. Make sure to collect name, address and DL # for records. ( must retain for 10 years)

If the 60 days has not expired for the FOID exemption call a few local gunshops and describe the items and get a feel for who is going to treat you best. Then sell them. Get a few opinions on value first.

If the 60 days has expired. The heir should apply for a FOID ASAP and then make the disposition.

JR
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:53:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By codycoyote:

Originally Posted By silascobb:
If they desire to dispose of them, I would GUESS (LEO's correct me if I am wrong -- paging npd233) that they could probably stop by the local popo, explain the situation, and drop them off (maybe calling first to let them know that they are coming).

Or TheDoctor could post here, and One us will swing by and purchase them.

I can't believe I said that. Of COURSE, that is preferrable. I wonder what -- hypothetically -- they might find?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:39:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 11:41:56 AM EST by thedoctors308]
Due to the ammo boxes we found I am guessing a 12 gauge shotgun, 20 guage shotgun, 16 gauge shotgun, .22 LR, and a .44 Magnum.

All of the shotshells are birdshot loads and have paper hulls - I'm guessing 40s/50s.
The .22LR is a half box of .22Lr shotshells, 1930s/40s.
The .44 Magnum ammo is 1960s for sure judging by the box - I'd really like to find what it went to - more than likely a very nice, early Model 29.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:52:51 PM EST
Doesn't sound like anthing that would be banned at all. Good luck.

You might consider suggesting that they doing an exhaustive search of the house now while they are still in the grace period (assuming they are). If something was eventually found in the future, they could certainly could argue they never knew it was there, but it might be a good idea to get everything kosher now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:16:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By silascobb:
Doesn't sound like anthing that would be banned at all. Good luck.

You might consider suggesting that they doing an exhaustive search of the house now while they are still in the grace period (assuming they are). If something was eventually found in the future, they could certainly could argue they never knew it was there, but it might be a good idea to get everything kosher now.

After dinner I'm breaking out the dust mask, coveralls, and surefire and I'm searching the house eaves to foundation.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:47:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:52:59 PM EST
If it was my relative's house, I'd have the whole ARFcom Ill HTF over here!
Top Top