BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sen Johnson: "i agree with the amendments, makes it a better bill"...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've read but it's still unclear what happened.

Coordinating to neuter?

View Quote

Sen. Johnson just spoke to it, ...not really neutered, ...they just added clarification language to ensure CHL carry and non-CHL carry treated even-steven in the law...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
senate passes amended SB 215!!!

24 yea, 8 nay

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
There was some very strong language in the bill protecting people from overzealous LEOs. That language has been removed, so I'm not sure how that's an improvement unless you're a LEO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
How soon will this get to the governor?
How much time does he have to sign it?
How long after he signs will this law go into effect?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How soon will this get to the governor?
How much time does he have to sign it?
How long after he signs will this law go into effect?
View Quote

1. not sure, but i'd presume today or tomorrow...
2. i believe he has ten days to sign or veto, ..if he sits on it (does nothing), it becomes law anyway...
3. i believe it's a 90 day grace period before it'll be in effect...

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I think Dewine has 10 days to veto or sign, not counting weekends.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was some very strong language in the bill protecting people from overzealous LEOs. That language has been removed, so I'm not sure how that's an improvement unless you're a LEO.
View Quote

The RINOs I mentioned are trying to kill the bill saying cops will be searching and detaining everyone, of course non gun owner conservatives were on their side. It's just grandstanding politics on their part.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
In a nutshell what does this law do for/to the CHL holders now, and the non CHL holders currently ?  

just as an example if you are not a felon you can carry type a deal.?

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In a nutshell what does this law do for/to the CHL holders now, and the non CHL holders currently ?  

just as an example if you are not a felon you can carry type a deal.?

View Quote

i'm waiting for an analysis from BFA, ...but to my knowledge:

1) no change to current CHL laws/system...
2) non-CHL carry (constitutional carry) held to same standards (eligibility, restricted places, etc.) as carry w/ a CHL.
3) the bill reforms duty-to-notify, so that you do not have to pre-emptively say you have a gun on you, onus is on the officer to ask you...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe i missed it or it hasn't been brought up but has dewine mentioned if he'd sign it or veto it? If vetoed would we have enough votes to override?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't worry, Cleveland and Columbus will completely overreach, forcing the legislature to fix it as soon as next year.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe i missed it or it hasn't been brought up but has dewine mentioned if he'd sign it or veto it? If vetoed would we have enough votes to override?
View Quote

Last I knew, he said he wouldn't sign nor veto.  Lil fucker changes his mind more than lefties change their masks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

i haven't heard if dewine has made any comments of late, but he ran in 2018 on a promise to support constitutional carry...

today's vote in the senate is veto-proof by a lot, ..i think only one senator didn't vote, even if that were a no, still veto-proof...

today's vote in the house, the tally as-is, is veto-proof, but not really any room for error... i think there were 6 who did not vote, ...i don't know who they are, we'd have to see who and anticipate which way those could go if there were to be another crack at it for an override...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#16]
today's Senate tally (there is an additional no vote, that senator must have have cast their vote after session ended...)

final tally: 24-9

*** note that Sen. Antani voted against the amended bill because he didn't support the house amendments...

Those who voted in the affirmative were: Senators
Blessing
Brenner
Cirino
Dolan
Gavarone
Hackett
Hoagland
Hottinger
Huffman, S.
Johnson
Kunze
Lang
Manning
McColley
O'Brien
Peterson
Reineke
Roegner
Romanchuk
Rulli
Schaffer
Schuring
Wilson
Huffman, M.

Those who voted in the negative were: Senators
Antani
Antonio
Craig
Fedor
Maharath
Sykes
Thomas
Williams
Yuko

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
...House tally:

..again there was a slight change (late voters?)

final tally: 58 -36

Those who voted in the affirmative were: Representatives
Abrams
Baldridge
Bird
Callender
Carruthers
Click
Creech
Cross
Cutrona
Dean
Edwards
Ferguson
Fowler
Arthur
Fraizer
Ghanbari
Ginter
Grendell
Hall
Hillyer
Holmes
Hoops
John
Johnson
Jones
Jordan
Kick
Koehler
Lampton
Lanese
LaRe
Lipps
Loychik
Manchester
Manning
McClain
Merrin
Miller, K.
Oelslager
Patton
Pavliga
Plummer
Ray
Richardson
Riedel
Roemer
Schmidt
Seitz
Stein
Stephens
Stewart
Stoltzfus
Vitale
White
Wiggam
Wilkin
Young, B.
Young, T.
Cupp

Those who voted in the negative were: Representatives
Blackshear
Boggs
Boyd
Brent
Brinkman
Brown
Davis
Denson
Galonski
Gross
Hicks-Hudson
Humphrey
Ingram
Jarrells
Kelly
Leland
Lepore-Hagan
Lightbody
Liston
Miller, A.
Miller, J.
Miranda
O'Brien
Robinson
Russo
Sheehy
Skindell
Smith, K.
Smith, M.
Sobecki
Sweeney
Sykes
Troy
Upchurch
Weinstein
West
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Sent Speaker Cupp a thank you.
Sent Committee Chairman Wilkin a thank you.
Sent my senator a thank you.
Sent my representative a thank you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sent Speaker Cupp a thank you.
Sent Committee Chairman Wilkin a thank you.
Sent my senator a thank you.
Sent my representative a thank you.
https://fsymbols.com/images/tick.jpg
View Quote

outstanding, excellent idea RareBear!!!

this is a time to celebrate, and let's also give atta-boys to the statehouse critters who got this across the line!!!

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

this is a time to celebrate, and let's also give atta-boys to the statehouse critters who got this across the line!!!

View Quote

Not celebrating until it becomes law, Fingers crossed, but I do agree those that have voted for this deserve a big thank you!
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not celebrating until it becomes law, Fingers crossed, but I do agree those that have voted for this deserve a big thank you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your hesitancy but I think that this will go through.  Regardless of how he feels about 2A issues he really hasn't shot any down with vetoes lately.  Clearly Little Mikey supported the '94 AWB and extending it in '04 so I get it, he isn't a gun guy.  What he is though is a career politician.  He gets that there is strong support for 2A issues in his constituency here in OH.  I don't know if he'll sign it but I would be surprised if he vetoed it.  He cares about being "important" and his job, that is about the extent of it.

My guess is that it will proceed without his signature but who knows?  It seems like his ads on the radio have been trying to appeal to the more conservative side of the R base lately.  Maybe he will sign it thinking that if he does we'll all forget/forgive his votes on the Federal AWB.  Either way I can't see a veto coming.

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

i'm waiting for an analysis from BFA, ...but to my knowledge:

1) no change to current CHL laws/system...
2) non-CHL carry (constitutional carry) held to same standards (eligibility, restricted places, etc.) as carry w/ a CHL.
3) the bill reforms duty-to-notify, so that you do not have to pre-emptively say you have a gun on you, onus is on the officer to ask you...
View Quote

Question on #3 going foward.
This happened last year but what about in the future if this goes through.
No CCW, I got stopped for speeding. Local cop, very freindly and let me off being fathers day and I was driving my son to my Dad's.
But when he took my license to call it in as he walked away he jokingly said "You don't have any dead bodies or guns in there do you?"

So is that asking? I thought that was odd the way he phased it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Question on #3 going foward.
This happened last year but what about in the future if this goes through.
No CCW, I got stopped for speeding. Local cop, very freindly and let me off being fathers day and I was driving my son to my Dad's.
But when he took my license to call it in as he walked away he jokingly said "You don't have any dead bodies or guns in there do you?"

So is that asking? I thought that was odd the way he phased it.
View Quote

I would have told him. Some cops are dicks (clearly he let you slide so he probably isn't), and I don't take my chances with that. Hell, I'll still likely end up telling them that I'm armed when I'm stopped. It saves for trouble for if he sees it somehow or for some reason it comes up and he gets squirrely on me. Had that happen when I was 16 and had a pocket knife...so I tend to play it safer in that regard.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be very surprised if Dewine vetos this bill.

I suspect he will sign it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt he'd want egg on his face again if he were to veto and get overridden like he did last time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#27]
So what does this mean exactly?

Carry concealed the same as ccw but no permit needed?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Basically yes. However, if you are a CHL holder, keep it and renew it when it’s up because only 22 or 23 states have Constitutional Carry. And most states are reciprocal with OH CHL. All your normal firearm and carry laws still apply though. So if you know 21y/o’s that are about to start carrying, encourage them to at least know the laws…My family teaches CHL courses and we have people come in that have been carrying in OH for years, decades, and they have no clue about anything law related.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mostly. The CCW gets you no call on 4473 required and carry in other states. Otherwise yes, same.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Basically yes. However, if you are a CHL holder, keep it and renew it when it’s up because only 22 or 23 states have Constitutional Carry. And most states are reciprocal with OH CHL. All your normal firearm and carry laws still apply though. So if you know 21y/o’s that are about to start carrying, encourage them to at least know the laws…My family teaches CHL courses and we have people come in that have been carrying in OH for years, decades, and they have no clue about anything law related.
View Quote

That is most people including most gun owners. There are gun owners at work that think I have some special SWAT clearance operator permit to own NFA items.
I know you meant more about use than ownership, but both.
Owners son even has a Form 1 SBR and a couple cans and still doesn't know shit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It passed with veto-proof majorities.

He'll sign it, otherwise he gets over-ridden and looks weak.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#32]
What does this do with vehicle carry? Loaded long guns still illegal, but pistols OK?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What does this do with vehicle carry? Loaded long guns still illegal, but pistols OK?
View Quote

yes, there are no changes to the treatment of long guns and associated magazines, etc.  no changes to the proper carrying of loaded handguns in the vehicle, except that if enacted, you won't have to have a CHL, so long as you are otherwise non-prohibited from possessing the firearms...

...keep in mind that this bill has not yet been enacted into law, ...if it makes it past dewine, it'll be 90 days thereafter before it's effective...
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Good luck guys, and congratulations for getting it so close.  We in Texas made a strong push last year and got Constitutional Carry passed.

State level grassroots gun groups make all the difference.  Here' we had GOA Texas organizing us into groups down to House and Senate districts to lobby our reps.  You'd be surprised how much stroke a group of 5-10 folks, who are informed citizens, can have.

Good times for gun rights.  You all, Alabama, Indiana, and Georgia are all poised for CC.  Plus a Supreme Court ruling June time frame that most likely will strike down May Issue for Shall Issue.  Soon, the leftist states will be Shall Issue, and the conservative states all CC.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

yes, there are no changes to the treatment of long guns and associated magazines, etc.  no changes to the proper carrying of loaded handguns in the vehicle, except that if enacted, you won't have to have a CHL, so long as you are otherwise non-prohibited from possessing the firearms...

...keep in mind that this bill has not yet been enacted into law, ...if it makes it past dewine, it'll be 90 days thereafter before it's effective...
View Quote

Thanks.  The 90 day wait is silly, too. I understand a delay when the law makes things more restrictive to allow the word to get out; but not when opening things up. I guess to educate the LEOs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I have heard that it is veto proof.  Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have heard that it is veto proof.  Can anyone confirm is that is true or not?
View Quote

It passed both houses by a greater than 3/5, which is the count needed to override a veto.
If everyone votes the same, it is veto proof; but only one needs to switch a vote for it to fail in the house.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Not picking on you @Shotar just many good points here.

Quoted:

*snip*

I had to educate one of our new hires that we got from some tiny village last week, that Ohio recognizes all state CCW licenses.  
*snip*
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

*snip*

I had to educate one of our new hires that we got from some tiny village last week, that Ohio recognizes all state CCW licenses.  
*snip*

Lots of things on which we should educate LEOs

Quoted:
*snip*
One of the advantages of a CHL is that the officer knows that check has already been done and that person is OK.

This is one reason I will continue to renew.

Quoted:
*snip*
 Do not be shocked if some brief detention for some other reason turns a bit longer if the request a CCH to verify a person is not prohibited.  I suppose the easy in theory answer is to flag prohibited persons in the Drivers license / state ID databases, but that would require the courts to actually input that information separately, and of course all those court clerks will object to extra work, even if the databases were modified to include it.

Unfortunately, this is the thought process of far too many LEO's.  People should not be detained until proven innocent.  They should be free to go unless there is some reason to believe should be detained.  Just carrying a weapon, on its own, is not reason to be detained.  After all, that's exactly what this new law will keep from being restricted.  

ETA:  maybe I'm in the minority, but I think all non-violent felons rights should be restored.  Probably even some violent felons.  Maybe they should have to jump through some hoops to get their rights back, but that should be part of their release process.  

I have quite a few LEO friends.  I realize 90% of the people they come in contact with are breaking the law, with somebody breaking the law or a victim of somebody breaking the law.  It's easy to get a skewed view of the general public.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good luck guys, and congratulations for getting it so close.  We in Texas made a strong push last year and got Constitutional Carry passed.

State level grassroots gun groups make all the difference.  Here' we had GOA Texas organizing us into groups down to House and Senate districts to lobby our reps.  You'd be surprised how much stroke a group of 5-10 folks, who are informed citizens, can have.

Good times for gun rights.  You all, Alabama, Indiana, and Georgia are all poised for CC.  Plus a Supreme Court ruling June time frame that most likely will strike down May Issue for Shall Issue.  Soon, the leftist states will be Shall Issue, and the conservative states all CC.
View Quote

thanks 1stID!

perseverance pays off!  time for us to join in with some of our neighbors.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#45]
...keep an eye out on Dewine's social media for any comments regarding the passage of SB 215...

...thus, far it seems like radio silence...
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Governor Mike Dewine
614-466-3555
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#47]
OGO (Ohio Gun Owners) urging Gov. Dewine to sign SB 215...

OGO Action Alert: Contact DeWine NOW!

...even the no-compromise group is realizing the significance of getting the bill passed by the legislature into law...

...so, I watch Chris Dorr's video "after action report" video posted on Mar 2nd, ...while he's critical of the house and senate leadership and BFA (I do not agree w/ the criticisms), ...i thought it was a good informative video...   in the end he admits:

1. the language removed by the committee amendments were enhancements to current Ohio gun law (those enhancements to current law was not ultimately contained in HB 227)..  
2. the bill, SB 215, as passed by both chambers and headed to Dewine, achieves the baseline intended goal of constitutional carry in Ohio.
3. he urges everyone to support getting SB 215 signed by Dewine.

...so, you could claim that the R senate caucus was more audacious, as their bill was attempting to do a bit more than just "constitutional carry" by making changes to the basis of the current carry law, ...and that was ultimately not palatable to enough house members, ...thereby necessitating the amendments in committee, so as not to stall the bill and have it die there.

the bill, as passed, maintains the current gun laws, but adds the ability to conceal carry w/out the CHL (..and does modify duty-to-notify)  

it is my contention, at this time, the the house and senate leadership, and bill sponsor, make the right moves to get us constitutional carry in 2022, and just in time before the primary election in which Dewine is under pressure.  

...the sausage-making may be ugly, ..but i think what we saw here is "smart politics" on behalf of the leadership, and it will be to our benefit.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:26:23 AM EDT
[#48]
How is the Duty To Notify modified in this bill?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How is the Duty To Notify modified in this bill?
View Quote

...you no longer are obligated to "promptly inform" the officer during a "terry stop" or similar LEO-related interaction...  you are expected to acknowledge that you are legally armed only if the officer asks you specifically.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top