Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2013 7:21:43 PM EDT
We are looking to relocate to the Tampa area of Florida.  
Specifically within around 30 minutes drive of Tampa International Airport.  We both have job options right near the airport.
We would prefer no less that 1 acre of property in a more rural area.  
Can anyone suggest a good town/community within those guidelines?
Thanks.
David
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We are looking to relocate to the Tampa area of Florida.  Specifically within around 30 minutes drive of Tampa International Airport.  We both have job options right near the airport.

We would prefer no less that 1 acre of property in a more rural area.  Can anyone suggest a good town/community within those guidelines?

Thanks.

David

30 minutes is tough when you realistically consider traffic during typical rush hour commutes.  Look for something up the Veteran's Expressway corridor north from TIA...anything else is going to either be smaller in property size/less rural, or else further than 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Some places in Pasco, but your commute will be a lot more than 30 minutes...

Sucks to be nearly the last one to think about doing the move, sorry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 2:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Plant City could be an option but it'd be cutting it close on the drive. More likely to find larger pieces of land east of Tampa and north as someone already mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#4]
FL traffic is nothing like NY traffic.  Anywhere along the Veterans Expressway North of Ehrlich will be what you are after.  If you have children the schools are better up there as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=thonotosassa&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88c2b59506816f85:0x37d068b54be6983a,Thonotosassa,+FL&gl=us&ei=9qr2UJWnAoj-8ATSpYDQBQ&ved=0CKMBELYD

Thonotosassa.  About 15-20 miles from the airport.  Still plenty of land in the area.

I'll be buying a home with an acre or two there - hopefully by the end of the year.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want land, you are going to have to get outside of your desired 30 minute commute range.  Lots of nice houses with land down in Manatee County (Parrish, Ellenton, etc).  Plus, you would be close to the Manatee gun range which has a 1,000yd range.  Your commute would be about 1 hour though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=thonotosassa&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88c2b59506816f85:0x37d068b54be6983a,Thonotosassa,+FL&gl=us&ei=9qr2UJWnAoj-8ATSpYDQBQ&ved=0CKMBELYD

Thonotosassa.  About 15-20 miles from the airport.  Still plenty of land in the area.

I'll be buying a home with an acre or two there - hopefully by the end of the year.

Yep.  A reasonably priced one acre home within 30 minutes is tough other than maybe there.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with veterans xpway and thonotosassa area. Also north of oldsmar west of citrus park area maybe?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
My BIL, SIL and MIL all have acreage in this area.http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1113-Bluefield-Rd-Odessa-FL-33556/46478771_zpid/

They love it out there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Plant City, Thonotosassa, but for your own good avoid the hell out of Seffner lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

The 30 minute commute was just a general guideline.  An hour would be the maximum.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the following areas?

Wesley Chapel, Spring Hill, or Dover.

Thanks again for all the help.  This isn't something I saw myself doing, but the state has left me little choice.

David

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want land, you are going to have to get outside of your desired 30 minute commute range.  Lots of nice houses with land down in Manatee County (Parrish, Ellenton, etc).  Plus, you would be close to the Manatee gun range which has a 1,000yd range.  Your commute would be about 1 hour though.

Yeah, +1 on these areas, they were way overbuilt during the boom and you can get boom era house easily and cheaply, if you don't like it the rental market is red hot at the moment
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 30 minute commute was just a general guideline.  An hour would be the maximum.

Thanks again for all the help.  This isn't something I saw myself doing, but the state has left me little choice.

David  

It really depends on where in Tampa your work is, if it's West shore then the best option is likely up the expressway towards Spring Hill.  North Tampa then San Antonio, Dade City, Wesley Chapel.   East Tampa - Then  Thonotosassa, Plant City, etc.

If you just need access to the airport, I live in Crystal River/Homosassa which put an hour plus some from Orlando (MCO) and a little less than an hour from Tampa (TPA) so I can pick and choose which flights work for me when I need to travel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

David  

Wesley Chapel is running out of land.  It it's becoming a prototypical bedroom community area with HOA developments.  It's nice, but you mentioned rural.

Spring Hill is more rural, and has some tremendous land values right now.  There is a new toll road that makes commutes to Tampa a breeze - relative to NYC. (Plus, you're nice and close to the Hernando Gun Club...  Great golf courses in the area as well.  (World Woods, El Diablo, Southern Hills.)

The problem is that vast areas surrounding Spring Hill are on very sandy ground.  Fire ants are endemic, and there's no trees to speak of.  Much more 'woodsy' to the east and northeast of Tampa.

I don't know much about Dover.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I live in Carrollwood about 10 - 15 min north of the airport.... love it! 3 shooting ranges withing 10 miles... no matter where you live we can have HI CAP mags here unlike your current location
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#16]
San Antonio/ dade city area.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Plant City, Thonotosassa, but for your own good avoid the hell out of Seffner lol

Hahaha, 8 years of working for the FD in Seffner and I agree, also certain areas of Thonotosassa are not ideal. Plant City is nice but getting more congested and you will be closer to an hour drive depending on traffic to TIA

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the additional info.  Sounds like North might be better than East.

Greenamphibious, I'll look into Carrollwoods well.

David

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]
You can always split up your locations as well and have a second place close to the airport for when you need it.

Also, with the crosstown expressway now open, Valrico or some place off of 301 may be a feasible option as long as you have a good route to the Crosstown; otherwise, traffic out there sucks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

San Antonio/ dade city area.

Yes.  Also OP, if you're willing to move to the edge of the 1 hour line, Brooksville is a great area.  Lots of good land, low taxes, and the same great access to Tampa via the toll road.

If I worked from home (but still needed to go to the office once a week) that's where I'd be.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Greenamphibious, I'll look into Carrollwoods well.

David

Carrollwood is real small so also look into Lutz and Odessa. They are the surrounding areas and have a lot to offer

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Greenamphibious, I'll look into Carrollwood well.

David

Carrollwood is real small so also look into Lutz and Odessa. They are the surrounding areas and have a lot to offer

I have a cousin that lives in New
   Port Richey.  I'll also ask him for some ideas of the area as well.

Thanks again.

David

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Forclosures are way up again in FL.  We picked up a great deal on one short sale 2 years ago in Safety harbor, but there are not many with 1 acre.  Good time to buy here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Forclosures are way up again in FL.  We picked up a great deal on one short sale 2 years ago in Safety harbor, but there are not many with 1 acre.  Good time to buy here.

Howdy neighbor!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Meet for a cold one?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#27]

I want to go there. I hear Jeff has the place going great right now, but everytime I fish Tampa bay I'm too tired to go after.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We looked from April last year until we bought our house in Spring Hill in December.  

I looked at probably 40-50 houses and I found the further north I got the more house I got for my money.

We have a 2,800+ square foot house on 1/2 acre with a caged pool for $160,000.

I am in the very southeast corner of Spring Hill and although the ground is much sandier than I am used to (moved from WI), I have a yard full of Live Oaks as do most of my neighbors.

I travel to the airport frequently and the parkway being a couple miles away makes it easy.

that is a hella deal... we are in 3200 sqft in carrollwood and it cost us $360k
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top