Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/22/2006 11:15:02 AM EDT
Hi all,
I don't get out of the 1911 or Virginia sections much, so if you can help me out I'd appreciate it.  I will be doing more reading in here shortly.

My wife and I are thinking about a move to the Cincinnati area and I'm wondering what exactly are the restrictions in the city limits?  I found the info below on packing.org which basically means I'm screwed if I live in the city limits.  No semi's, WTF?

Have there been any changes to the goofy restrictions on CCW (ie no CCW in vehicle, tighter city restrictions)?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Scott

Cincinnati Restrictions from Packing.org
(a) No person shall sell, deliver, rent, lease, offer, or display for sale, or transfer ownership of, acquire or possess a semiautomatic firearm.

(b) No person shall sell, deliver, rent, lease, offer or display for sale, or transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any detachable magazine with the following capacities:

(1) More than ten rifle or carbine rounds;
(2) More than five shotgun rounds;
(3) More than 15 handgun rounds.

This section does not apply to any detachable magazine purchased or acquired for use with semiautomatic firearms registered pursuant to division (e)(3) of this section.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#1]
When moving to Ohio, stay at least a copule of miles away of the corporation limits of the following:

Cleveland
Dayton
Toledo
Columbus
Cincinnati

They all have unconstitutional restrictions on the ownership of semi automatic firearms and handguns.  Unfortunately, the Ohio Constitution has a home rule provision that allows municipalities to do this.

There is a bill making its way through the Assembly which will fix the CCW in vehicles problem as well as pre-empt any government, except the state government, from regulating firearms.

We need that bill signed into law pretty badly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
diabolical_chicken and I live in Clermont county, which we're both pretty happy with.  You will have to go LLC for NFA though
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  I've done a little more reading and have calmed down, only slightly, but the blood pressure isn't as bad as it was.  I see Cincinnati lists semi-auto handguns as any semi handgun that can hold more than 15 rounds in the mag.  I don't like it, but at least it doesn't eliminate my whole collection.

How far "out" is out of the Cincinnati city limits?  I'd rather not live in the city regardless of gun laws.  

It sounds like some of the cities have registration.  Does Ohio as a whole have firearms registration?  Anything what-so-ever (I'm thinking about Illinois' FOID cards)?

Really, I'm way ahead of myself on this, as the move would be a long way off if it happens.  I just want to make sure the important things are covered first, like the 1911's!!!

Thanks again, and please keep the info coming if you've got it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
DO NOT MOVE ANYWHERE NEAR THE CINTI CITY LIMITS OR DOWNTOWN
Move out in the burbs or out further in the boon docks like me,
I live by blanchester, open sky, everyone shoots on the weekends,
no big city bull s--t
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
diabolical_chicken and I live in Clermont county, which we're both pretty happy with.  You will have to go LLC for NFA though

Which direction from the center of the city?  It is nice to hear that some of my concerns are not completely warrented.  NFA is only in my dreams, no matter where I may live.  My wife is not THAT understanding of the addiction.

While we're at, any recommendations as to suburbs?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Clermont county is very nice, close enough to get to downtown without too much of a comute but still very rural. The west side of town is similar, but more blue collar, and the schools arent all that great. If you go north of the city into Mason or West Chester the public schools are very well funded and the suburbs are all very nice. Northern Kentucky isnt bad from what I hear but I havent spent much time there.

The area is fairly conservitive and if you stay out of city limits most people are fairly gun friendly, unfortunately not many CLEO are so LLC is really the only way to go from what I hear. There is gun range up in Warren county called millers campground that is Class III friendly. Its small and not very well known.

Just stay out of the actual city of Cincinnati and your fine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Not very far at all.  Just jump on I-275, head down through KY and come in from the south side- maybe 20 minutes or so depending on traffic.  We're kinda on that city/country line.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard there was a pretty good gun shop just outside city limits.

Beware of the owner, he can be a little rough sometimes.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: Does Ohio as a whole have firearms registration?  Anything what-so-ever (I'm thinking about Illinois' FOID cards)?

None at all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks yet again.  

So, if the cities have tons of firearm restrictions, have many of them tried to ban CCW since the right to carry bill passed?  I understand the good people of Ohio are trying to change parts of the law, but how is it right now, say in Cincinnati, Toledo, etc.?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks yet again.  

So, if the cities have tons of firearm restrictions, have many of them tried to ban CCW since the right to carry bill passed?  I understand the good people of Ohio are trying to change parts of the law, but how is it right now, say in Cincinnati, Toledo, etc.?

AFAIK Some have tried but to my knowledge none have been successfull
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If schools are a consideration, think about the inner ring of suburbs.  Sycamore Township, Madeira, Indian Hill, Blue Ash, are all on the east side.  To the north, the Lakota system is good (Butler County).

There is also a large than usual percentage of parochial schools to choose from, mostly Catholic, a couple Jewish, and two or three non-Catholic Christian.

As mentioned, stay out of the Cincy city limits.  Dumb-ass politics, and a beyond-saving school system.

If you move to Hamilton County, you will likely get your CCW issued in Clermont County, where the Sherrif is reasonable about such things.

Otherwise, Clermont, Warren, and to a lesser extent Butler countiy allow more land for the dollar, if that is a consideration.  Just be careful of the drive to work you may be in for.  All the traffic patterns are according to plan, they just planned 'em wrong.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Go north to Warren County.  Good gun club with 200 yard range and soon to be 300 yards from what I hear in Middletown.  They have range officers that some people think are strict but once you get to know them they're okay.  I must find out about Millers Campground now.   Joe

Warren county sheriff is very gun friendly.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Chris

That wouldn't be that Chris fella would it? I heard he could be a little grumpy at times
In case ya don't know, this is Hara Arena (Delphi) Eddie
For anyone who does'nt know, One Shot and all thier people are top notch, yeah, even that Chris fella. Tell Rhett (sp?) I said howdy!
See ya at Hara this weekend.
Edit for bein a bad spellererer
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

That wouldn't be that Chris fella would it? I heard he could be a little grumpy at times
In case ya don't know, this is Hara Arena (Delphi) Eddie
For anyone who does'nt know, One Shot and all thier people are top notch, yeah, even that Chris fella. Tell Rhett (sp?) I said howdy!
See ya at Hara this weekend.
Edit for bein a bad spellererer

I would have eventually found the gun shops, that happens after we have decided to move and before we're packed to leave.  I already know I've got the needed info for my CCW permit, just need the application.  Hope you guys can get rid of the vehicle restriction before I get there.

We have already talked about buying a house/land within the first year if we do move.  As for prices and the commute, it doesn't get much worse than the Washington DC area.  

I'll be in touch.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
i really like clermont county

apparently, warren county has a good school and job base, so it depends whether these are important considerations for you

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i really like clermont county

apparently, warren county has a good school and job base, so it depends whether these are important considerations for you

The job thing is always important.  The schools, well not at the moment, but maybe a few years down the road.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#18]

I would have eventually found the gun shops, that happens after we have decided to move and before we're packed to leave. I already know I've got the needed info for my CCW permit, just need the application. Hope you guys can get rid of the vehicle restriction before I get there.

We have already talked about buying a house/land within the first year if we do move. As for prices and the commute, it doesn't get much worse than the Washington DC area.

I'll be in touch.

If you need a Realtor...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks yet again.  

Our CCW law pre-empts municipalities from regulating CCW.  Now we are going for the jugular and destroy ANY power municipalities and counties have left to regulate guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The best gun club in all of Western Ohio, by far, is located in Clermont County.  Miami Rifle & Pistol Club.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The best gun club in all of Western Ohio, by far, is located in Clermont County.  Miami Rifle & Pistol Club.

Do they shoot IPSC/IDPA?  I know a place near Toledo that does, its just a bit too far for a Sunday drive.

Good to hear the laws are changing.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they shoot IPSC/IDPA?  I know a place near Toledo that does, its just a bit too far for a Sunday drive.

Good to hear the laws are changing.  Thanks!

MRPC Practical Pistol page
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#23]
There are plenty of areas in and around Cincinnati that are not incorporated and thus, don't have to abide by the city firearm restrictions.  It all depends upon what you're looking for.

Where will you be working?  Do you like city, suburban, or country living?  If you're working in the city and living outside, the commute is a daily bitch.

I live in Norwood which is pretty much in the heart of greater Cincinnati but is not incorporated.  We have our own city government and are immune to much of the idiocy that goes on in Cincinnati city council.

That said, I predict that Cincinnati will be the next Detroit and am planning on getting the hell out of the area in the next year or two.  The city is well on its way into the declining spiral of incompetent leadership and liberalism.

Don't get me wrong, the area is nice but the city itself is going downhill...fast.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#24]
WHITE FLIGTH!!!!!!!!!

I love it when the leftovers claim that whites leaving the shitholes is racism.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#25]
What kinda work you looking for?  I have no idea about office work but construction is booming in the area.  I use to work for a civil engineering company as a field surveyor and we were always busy.  Then I worked for Reynolds drilling wells, laying pipe, you name it and we had more then enough work.  Hell I just started at Warren Correctional as a corrections officer they are always needing people.  They pay isn't half bad either.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Chris

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#27]
It was mentioned earlier, but there are LOTS of places in the middle of and around Cincinnati that are NOT Cincinnati.

Norwood is the perfect example of this.  Smack dab in the middle of the city, mere 2 miles from downtown, but NOT CIncinnati and not subject to its laws.

Fortunately, Cincinnati is pretty small as cities go and unlike Cleveland or Columbus did not incorporate the counties surrounding it.

My residence is in Northern, KY, right on the Ohio River and live closer to downtown Cincinnati than most people that live in the city proper, so you may also want to consider that...plus KY's laws and officials, on a whole are a lot more liberal (in the literal sense of the word) than Ohio.

With that said, I am moving back to Ohio, mainly to be closer to my place of work, closer to my range, and closer to the people I shoot with.

Westside!

If you ever need any help finding things just ask.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks again guys!  I was looking at the NE side or Kentucky.  I'd prefer Kentucky, but I'd have to convince my wife.  

If this happens I'll let you know.  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top