Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 5:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 5:57:34 AM EDT by godzillamax]
I moved from MN to WI back in May of 2013 (not a far move, since we live/work along the border). Soon after establishing my WI residency I obtained my CCW permit. My Minnesota CCW permit, which I had in good standing for the past six years, expired October of 2013. I find myself in a pickle because I travel to Minnesota a lot and dislike having to leave my CCW firearm at home when I travel. I see that WI recognizes MN CCW permits and therefore a MN resident can CCW in WI (with a valid MN CCW permit), but not vice versa.

Is there anyway pathway for a WI resident to get a MN CCW permit? Any reciprocity? Any solution?


Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:57:59 AM EDT
Get a non-resident MN permit, or get a permit recognized in MN like the UT permit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:55:10 AM EDT
The UT permit with your WI license will give you a very broad range of states.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:11:37 AM EDT
MN permits are issued to residents of all 50 States, and there's no distinctions between a resident permit & non-resident permit. I had one as a WI resident from 2006-2011. The only differance between res & non-res, is in the application location. As you know, as a MN resident, you must apply in person and in the county you reside in. Non-residents have an advantage here, they can apply in any county they choose. My daughter and I got our permits about the same time. She lived in Hennepin county, so had to apply there. They took the full allotted time to issue... permit was in her mailbox 32 days after applying. I applied in Pine County. Mine was in my mailbox in 13 days.... with a nice note from the sheriff, reminding me my MN permit was not valid in WI, he said hopefully that will change some day, and  apologized for "the delay". The sheriff signs all permits personally, and he was on vacation when I applied.

FWIW... Utah permits are a better option for WI residents. They are recognized by MN (need not be UT resident). Utah requires a class taught by a Utah certified instructor, but no re-training upon renewal.... and you must have a permit from your state of residence to receive theirs. Utah can be applied for by mail. It will take longer to receive, but worth the wait. AFAIK, MN still requires another training class within the past year upon every 5yr renewal, so either way, you'll need another training class (unless you've already had one by a UT certified trainer).
Top Top