Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2009 10:51:58 AM EDT
Well, my permit finally arrived.  I've been getting used to walking around with my G30 in a c-tac.  I have read the Gutmacher book, but I have not found an answer to my question.

Can I carry at a movie theater?  I remember when I was younger they had cops there checking people for pocket knives and what-not and turning them away if they had any.  I have no idea if they turned away permit holders or not.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:46:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 103:
Well, my permit finally arrived.  I've been getting used to walking around with my G30 in a c-tac.  I have read the Gutmacher book, but I have not found an answer to my question.

Can I carry at a movie theater?  I remember when I was younger they had cops there checking people for pocket knives and what-not and turning them away if they had any.  I have no idea if they turned away permit holders or not.

Conceal means no one knows that you have it....  I always carry, especially at the movies...
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:03:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Erickrn:
Originally Posted By 103:

Conceal means no one knows that you have it....  I always carry, especially at the movies...

I totally agree.  I'm wondering about legalities, though.  I'd like to not go to jail if I am forced to use my CCW at the movies.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2009 2:08:40 PM EDT by DeltaUpsilon]
There are no Florida laws prohibiting you from carrying at a movie theater or other normal place of business (with certain exclusions, e.g. a bar or sporting event).

HOWEVER, movie theaters are considered private property and they MAY set their own policies regarding prohibiting firearms. If they find out that you are carrying, you may be asked to leave, may be 'banned' from coming back, but you cannot be charged with a state or federal crime. If you put up a fight and try to stay after they've asked you to leave, then you're trespassing with a firearm and that is a whole 'nother sh#t storm.

My advice is to go ahead and carry it, just be mindful.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:17:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DeltaUpsilon:
My advice to go ahead and carry it, just be mindful.

+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:53:54 PM EDT
The packet that came with your permit application tells you where you cannot carry.  Movie Theaters are not listed.  

If a buisness decide they did not want people CCW on tier property they woud have to post signs at the entrances to thier property.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:23:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cormorantslayer:
The packet that came with your permit application tells you where you cannot carry.  Movie Theaters are not listed.  

If a business decide they did not want people CCW on tier property they would have to post signs at the entrances to their property.

And even then, the signs don't mean squat. They have to actually "catch" you carrying and ask you to leave. As long as you leave quickly and quietly, there will be no legal repercussions.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:39:06 PM EDT
+1 the state beach on A1A in St. Augustine has a sign posted but I still Carry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:49:48 PM EDT
as long as its not a government building, i carry
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:49:50 PM EDT
Were those people you saw being turned away idiot teenagers who aren't allowed to carry them anyway and going to a movie on Friday or Saturday night?  

If you have a license, there should be no problem.  I don't believe private businesses are allowed to turn you away if you have a CCL anyway.  Like in other states, ie Nebraska, there's signs up all over saying "No CCL Allowed" because the state allows private businesses to do that.  I don't think they can do that here, though I could be wrong, don't have "the book" with me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:00:50 PM EDT
There are no Florida laws prohibiting you from carrying at a movie theater or other normal place of business (with certain exclusions, e.g. a bar or sporting event).

HOWEVER, movie theaters are considered private property and they MAY set their own policies regarding prohibiting firearms. If they find out that you are carrying, you may be asked to leave, may be 'banned' from coming back, but you cannot be charged with a state or federal crime. If you put up a fight and try to stay after they've asked you to leave, then you're trespassing with a firearm and that is a whole 'nother sh#t storm.

My advice to go ahead and carry it, just be mindful.

This exactly...and in Florida, signs carry no weight. Remember, concealed is concealed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:39:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GreatDane:

If a business decide they did not want people CCW on tier property they would have to post signs at the entrances to their property.

And even then, the signs don't mean squat. They have to actually "catch" you carrying and ask you to leave. As long as you leave quickly and quietly, there will be no legal repercussions.

+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:06:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By capt205:

This exactly...and in Florida, signs carry no weight. Remember, concealed is concealed.

People keep saying this, and I think it's a bit misleading. "No weapons" signs may not carry the same weight as, say, Ohio or Nebraska (I.E. If you get caught, the cops are coming for you), but it's not as if you can point at the sign and laugh, if the property owners somehow find out you're carrying.

Just because you won't get immediately arrested doesn't make the sign meaningless. As has been mentioned before, a business owner can demand you leave the premises, and if you don't, you're going to get an armed trespass. Or, if you're exceptionally unlucky, the owner is going to assume his sign has legal meaning, skip asking you to leave and call the cops directly.

So while the sign doesn't necessarily carry legal weight, in the sense of "I can't carry here", it should still serve as a notice that you'd better be careful and not get made, since it's possibly going to be a real pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:30:45 PM EDT

This^, but you shouldn't be taking legal advice from anyone here. Info is tacked on top of Florida hometown page, Florida website and the info packet that came w/ your permit, w/ the latter 2 being your legal source.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:15:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dalkyr:

People keep saying this, and I think it's a bit misleading. "No weapons" signs may not carry the same weight as, say, Ohio or Nebraska (I.E. If you get caught, the cops are coming for you), but it's not as if you can point at the sign and laugh, if the property owners somehow find out you're carrying.

Just because you won't get immediately arrested doesn't make the sign meaningless. As has been mentioned before, a business owner can demand you leave the premises, and if you don't, you're going to get an armed trespass. Or, if you're exceptionally unlucky, the owner is going to assume his sign has legal meaning, skip asking you to leave and call the cops directly.

So while the sign doesn't necessarily carry legal weight, in the sense of "I can't carry here", it should still serve as a notice that you'd better be careful and not get made, since it's possibly going to be a real pain in the ass.

This is true no matter where or when you're carrying. Sheeple that see a gun/print are just as likely to call the cops as any business owner.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:26:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dalkyr:

This is true no matter where or when you're carrying. Sheeple that see a gun/print are just as likely to call the cops as any business owner.

And how many sheep would even know you are "printing"? Not many they walk around in condition white

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:30:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dread-pirate:
And how many sheep would even know you are "printing"? Not many they walk around in condition white

Honestly, I don't know. I just assume that everyone knows what the outline of a gun looks like. Guess I'm a bit biased like that!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:17:47 AM EDT
Have you read the "FL Firearm and CWL FAQ"?

Your questions and many others has already been answered there ...
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:16:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Miami02TJ:
Have you read the "FL Firearm and CWL FAQ"?

Your questions and many others has already been answered there ...

Post pimp.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:25:25 AM EDT

My advice is to go ahead and carry it, just be mindful.

^This^
Top Top