Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 12:50:50 PM EDT
We've decided to buy a share in a local CSA for this year.
I've been checking on the ones that have pickup locations in or near Milwaukee.
Talked to a few of the farmers on the phone and done a fair amount of reading.
Got it narrowed down to a couple of front runners, and figured I'd querry for advice before we drop ~$500.

Anyone here ever had a share in a CSA or similar food coop arrangement?
What did you like?
What didn't you like?
Recommendations?
Experiences?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd shoot an IM to BC, as I'm pretty sure he participates in one local to Madison.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
unfortunatly i know where my food comes from and dont like it.

In some parts of the country when you flush it doesnt go into the tunnel, or lake michigan but instead it is spread onto the farm fields. Being that we get our produce form all over GUESS WHAT
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Agreed on the GIGO.
We're angling to put less garbage in starting now, and it isn't easy OR cheap.
The more I look at what goes into food, the more obscene it is.

I thought our monthly food expenditure was high already.
"Organic" is as much of a marketing ploy as "Black Angus," or "Tactical."
I can see paying more for better quality, but I don't want to get ripped off in some place that smells like pechuli.
Doing the CSA deal, it seems like the amount we spend on produce would be on par with what it is now, but for much better food.
~$20/week for a full share that varies between a half and a full bushel depending on what's ready for harvest.

I'm also looking at getting a good grain mill and working with some basic staples.
Trouble is .... If you just get some cheap corn, you'll end up with Monsanto's proprietary BT corn that they've engineered to fill itself with insecticide.
Not exactly the wholesome meal I intended to raise a family on.
So, I have to find a good organic farmer who does whole grains and isn't looking to kill me on the cost.
A couple of the farms with CSAs offer some grains.
I was hoping to make a connection there.
If I can make home-ground/milled staples happen, that should go a long ways towards cutting the food budget AND eating healthy.

That's the theory anyway .....

BC, you know anyone out that way with a 'Country Living' grain mill they want to let go of?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top