Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/3/2004 7:12:56 AM EDT
Say that 10 times fast. <G> After hearing about their 1k yard ranges and reading about their classes, I am curious to get a little feedback about their instruction. I am interested in taking the SMG class as well as their precision rifle 1/2 class. Has anyone taken any of these? How do they stack up compared to other big schools (a la thunder ranch, etc). 180 miles from my house isn't a bad trip at all, and it looks and sounds like they have some great facilities.

How big are their classes usually? How many instructors?
Any insights on the curriculum?
The ammo count seems to be pretty high considering the 3 day format. Is this a Trident Concepts style learning - shoot shoot and shoot some more?
Is there a killhouse or any sort of cqb structure on the premises?

I'll post more questions as I think of them.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:53:43 AM EDT
DoctorNo:

Sniper's Hide

I went there for the Precision Rifle 1 class in August, and had a blast. I don't know anything about the SMG classes, so I can't help there.

This was a shooting class. Once the classroom was out of the way on Friday, we were sending rounds downrange as much as possible, which is really cool.

I didn't see a shoothouse around, but there are a few tactical bays and the like.

If you need more answers, just give Alice or Bill Davison a call. They're good people.

Oh, and if you want to go shoot sometime up there, let me know. I have a membership!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:18:13 PM EDT
Bill Davidson holds very good classes. I took a presision rifle class last year and it was outstanding. Bill and Alice are outstanding people and are always willing to help. It's just about like a family when you are a member. As far as the gun shop, I can't think of anything they can't get for you. I myself usually go out there twice a week ( one day for 3 gun and one day for the long range). Mon thru Fri is the best time. The classes are usually set up for Fri, sat, sun for those who work.. Later Al
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:31:27 PM EDT
The classes at TacPro are usually small 6-8 people. Bill usually runs all the classes alone. As compared to thunder ranch (night and day). Thunder ranch is world class as long as Clint Smith is there for the whole class. T R classes are sometimes 24 people. I have taken rifle ll and pistol lll with 23 other people and it makes for ONE TOUGH WEEK, BUT YOU JUST LOVE IT.

Later Al
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:57:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2004 7:59:11 AM EDT by Bartholomew_Roberts]
I've taken Defensive Pistol and Intermediate Pistol at Tac-Pro. Both times I definitely got my money's worth out of the instruction and noted significant improvement in my shooting. From a student's standpoint, Bill Davison is one of the more effective instructors I've had. He communicates very clearly and has a knack for diagnosing shooting problems and letting you know how to correct them quickly.

On the organization side, you can tell the military influence as things are generally well-organized, though not always and sometimes the schedule slips a little bit. Even here though I'd still rank him as very good. My Primary class had 12 people and my Intermediate class had 4. I think 6-8 is probably the most common class size considering the people I see out there when I am just shooting on the range.

Just the experience he has in actually doing what he is teaching makes the course worthwhile, the fact that he is a good teacher as well as someone who is experienced in what he is teaching is just a plus in my book.

I haven't taken either of the courses you propose to take; but I wouldn't have any trouble recommending him as an instructor and I've taken formal training classes locally from Bullet Trap, Collin County, Texas Pistol Academy amd ProTac Global. I learned something good at each of those; but only ProTac was anywhere near the same level as far as level of instruction.
Top Top