Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 7:18:10 PM EDT
I was hoping to get some recommendations on gun shops, restaurants, or other places that should not be missed. I lean towards good BBQ and brew pPubs in preference on the restaurant side of things. Of course I never steer away from a good steak either. I would also prefer local or regional places that are not available in every major city. It looks like my days are going to be very full except for maybe Wednesday and Friday late afternoon plus an hour or so at night before I crash.

Thanks!
Bob
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Try out Gordon Biersch in midtown.  They are actually a chain of Brew Pubs and not exactly local, but they still brew their beer onsite.  I have never actually been there but a friend of mine is Asst. Brewmaster and I think they also serve stake.

http://www.gordonbiersch.com/restaurants/index.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Bob, If I was close to Atlanta I'd treat you to a few cold ones.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in ATL will you be?  That'll make recommendations easier...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

DOH! I knew I was forgetting something. I will be very close to the Cumberland Mall off of 285.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DOH! I knew I was forgetting something. I will be very close to the Cumberland Mall off of 285.

Bob

Adventure Outdoors is not too far from there. It is a fairly large gun shop with a great selection of new & used handguns.

Hot Shots is a decent handgun range.

I'm not up on the restaurants in the area. Marietta Diner up Cobb Parkway is good for breakfast or lunch.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Atlanta's growth in the 90's has made it such a pre-fab boom town that there arent a whole lot of local joints. everything is a damn chain except for some of the BBQ joints. north on rt 41 from cumberland mall about 7 or 8 miles is williamsons brothers BBQ, i can give you directions if you want. also at 41 and windy hill not far from you is Fogoa Gaucho, its a locally owned brazillian churascaria steakhouse. ALL YOU CAN EAT MEAT!  you have a token on your table with a green side and a red side. if you turn the green side up the waitstaff constantly parades a selection of 18 different meats past you...WUNDERBAR!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, if you are adventurous and want to eat what I have been told is the best BBQ, even Rachel Ray says so, you must trek to Fat Matt's Rib Shack. If you go for lunch get there at 11, the line starts then. If you go for dinner they have live blues. I am not sure if they have live music every nite though. I am not qualified to say it is the best because I am partial to SC mustard based BBQ, but is is really good!!
And no trip to Hotlanta is complete without a trip to The Varsity. There are a few around town, but downtown is the original. It isn't BBQ but it will 'fix' your cholesterol.
Fago is a carnivores wet dream, from what I hear also.

Cannot really help with the brewpubs, sorry.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#8]
There's 5 Seasons brewpub just inside the perimeter on Roswell Road.  Always good stuff from them.  Just on the other side of 285 is Summits Wayside Tavern, a tap house with about 85-100 different beers on tap.

I second Fat Matt's - best Q in town.

Skip the Varsity - rectal rocket emporium, beats White Castle hands down.  But if you do go, be quick about ordering.  After the first or second "Waddyahave" they move on to the next person in line.  Just grab a couple chili slaw dogs and prepare to get the ol' intestinal lube job.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks for the thought!

Sounds like some good suggestions. I will try to work them into my schedule. I've heard of the varsity about 20 years ago. Sounds like a hoot but I probably won't make it.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the thought!
Bob

Uh, yeah, uh, if you want to meet a goob like me I would be happy to meet you somewhere. I wouldn't be a good navigator, though. Hell, if you know your schedule a few of us would like to get together...right guys?!? Let us know a good time/night for you. I need to check my calendar.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#11]
WAIT A MINUTE!?!?! Aren't you the guy the DU'ers were making comments about your obvious sexually oriented screen name...you aren't some sort of perv are you?!?!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the thought!
Bob

Uh, yeah, uh, if you want to meet a goob like me I would be happy to meet you somewhere. I wouldn't be a good navigator, though. Hell, if you know your schedule a few of us would like to get together...right guys?!? Let us know a good time/night for you. I need to check my calendar.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I won't know my schedule until after tomorrow. I really don't want to drag anyone out of their houses to go have beers on a weeknight. I appreciate the offer though. I'm here for a Microsoft "bootcamp" and my time is really going to be tight. It's an immersion learning thing, ya know. Not fun, but effective.

Bob

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
WAIT A MINUTE!?!?! Aren't you the guy the DU'ers were making comments about your obvious sexually oriented screen name...you aren't some sort of perv are you?!?!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

OH SHIT!  My secret is out!

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the thought!
Bob

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I won't know my schedule until after tomorrow. I really don't want to drag anyone out of their houses to go have beers on a weeknight. I appreciate the offer though. I'm here for a Microsoft "bootcamp" and my time is really going to be tight. It's an immersion learning thing, ya know. Not fun, but effective.

Bob

As info, I have tried and tried to get these losers out during the week, my buddy used to sing at local bars, but I only got one or two offers to meet me. Unless I have plans, I can get out on week nites no problem. The area your are staying in isn't really a good 'party' area. New York Pizza Exchange is also close and pretty damn good.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Check your email, Bob.

There are a few of us that are local to where you are staying.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I hope you guys enjoyed lunch today. I passed my test and it was a bitch!
Thanks Chainsaw for extending a welcome to a stranger in Atlanta. If any of you guys are in town drop me a line. You all ARE coming to Knob Creek, right?

Bob

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top