Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:30:23 AM EDT
Hello AZ crew,

It looks like I'll be headed to Scottsdale next summer on an external rotation from school for about 4 to 5 weeks.  Does anyone have any suggestions for finding an affordable place to stay for about a month?  Any areas I should try to avoid?  I need a reasonable commute from the Salt River Reservation.  The program I'll be in won't provide housing, and I don't want to stay on a campus anyway, because I want to do some shooting while I'm there.  I'll try and find an IDPA match or two in the area.  

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  I know it's early, but I need to get housing squared away fairly soon.

Thanks,
Wolffie
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
During the summer, I'd look into an Extended-stay hotel, or even a 'regular' hotel.  Ask if they can give you a 'cheap' rate for the time your there.  

Some of them are pretty accomodating... During the summer, their empty anyway, so they'd rather make a little money than none.

You really aren't out here long enough to look at an apartment.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]
An apartment I lived in on 12th & Osborn had a lot of contract nurses coming through.  They'd come for a few weeks to a few months and be on their way.  I'm not sure if was an arangement with their contracting company or if they just allowed short term leases.  (The name of the complex was "The heritage".)

Kick ass location and a very good management staff.  (Especially if you have no tolerance for dumbasses.  They stated up front there was a no warning policy about disruptive behavior.  One loud party and you were evicted.)  Probably sucks if you're a college student, but rocked for those of us enough over the hill to actually want to sleep it was a godsend.  I never had to bitch to neighbors because I knew they'd be gone.

(Apartment managers in Phoenix seem to come in two types.  The "Take no shit" variety that want to retain their property value for a long time and the folks that just let them degenerate into shit holes that have to offer free rent to entice folks in.)

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming.  I'm in Grad school and am old enough to want to go to bed at night, young enough to just not do it.  Parties aren't really going to be an issue.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a property manager here in North Phoenix.  I would be willing to set you up in a 1-bedroom apartment for the duration of your stay, no lease and no deposit.  It's brand new, 700+ sq ft, and I will hold it for you.  But be warned:  I am the no-shit type of manager.  Loud parties, drugs, bullcrap like that is NOT tolerated...  Not even once.  You can come to my house and we can BBQ and get drunk, go shooting, etc etc.  But disturbing my tenants is NOT an option.  

It's much cheaper than a hotel, and I am literally next door (my house is on the ajoining parcel).  But I won't make your bed, deliver food, or set up a mini bar (I'd drink it all)  

The apartment is located at the intersection of the loop 101 and I-17, giving you 30-minute access to just about anywhere.  My only request is that you leave it the way you found it - we just put 5k into fixing it up, and I want to keep it nice for a leased tenant.  My ol lady will be happy to grab anything from the store you need since she goes nightly for me (you gotta share the hookers, though)

If you'd like to discuss it, PM me or email me.  But do it quick, because if I get a tenant I need to take them if I have not made arrangements.  I can email you pictures.  We'll discuss prices when you get with me--if you are interested--but since you are a fellow afrcommer I'll only ask $125 a week, including utilities.  Yes, I have a bed and sheets, etc you can use.  No, I don't have a woman you can use.  Yes, you can use my washer and dryer (the apartments don't have one).  

Richard  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
email sent
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
email returned
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am a property manager here in North Phoenix.  I would be willing to set you up in a 1-bedroom apartment for the duration of your stay, no lease and no deposit.  It's brand new, 700+ sq ft, and I will hold it for you.  But be warned:  I am the no-shit type of manager.  Loud parties, drugs, bullcrap like that is NOT tolerated...  Not even once.  You can come to my house and we can BBQ and get drunk, go shooting, etc etc.  But disturbing my tenants is NOT an option.  

It's much cheaper than a hotel, and I am literally next door (my house is on the ajoining parcel).  But I won't make your bed, deliver food, or set up a mini bar (I'd drink it all)  

The apartment is located at the intersection of the loop 101 and I-17, giving you 30-minute access to just about anywhere.  My only request is that you leave it the way you found it - we just put 5k into fixing it up, and I want to keep it nice for a leased tenant.  My ol lady will be happy to grab anything from the store you need since she goes nightly for me (you gotta share the hookers, though)

If you'd like to discuss it, PM me or email me.  But do it quick, because if I get a tenant I need to take them if I have not made arrangements.  I can email you pictures.  We'll discuss prices when you get with me--if you are interested--but since you are a fellow afrcommer I'll only ask $125 a week, including utilities.  Yes, I have a bed and sheets, etc you can use.  No, I don't have a woman you can use.  Yes, you can use my washer and dryer (the apartments don't have one).  

Richard  

Damn have to say that sure is a nice deal....guess your back on your meds now....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Richard  

Damn have to say that sure is a nice deal....guess your back on your meds now....

I have to say, that is one heck of a deal.  If it works out, I can't tell you how thankful I will be.  If not, it's understandable and Richard must be a hell of a guy for even offering.  One way or another, I'll be out there for most of July of 06, and hopefully I'll be able to meet up with a few of you to make some noise.  

Thanks,
Wolffie
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I17 and 101 is a great location for a shooter, about 20 minutes away from table mesa road, great desert shooting spot and Ben Avery, a great shooting range. Stay away from Maryvale (unless you want to shoot somebody)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Stay away from Maryvale (unless you want to shoot somebody)

Had to cut through Maryvale today, I sure keep my gun closer when I do that.  Growing up in Maryvale was part of the reason I love guns, because I felt I needed them.  Had neighbors doing target practice on their tree in the front yard on new years with a 9mm, ahhh the good ole days
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
WW!

Richard you are one hell of a good guy for offering up that place! This is what Arfcom is all about and the ARIZONA HOMETOWN forum!
That's awesome...hope it all works out!

-John
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#12]
see sigline
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top