Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/1/2022 8:42:42 AM EDT
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/2022/04/27/rent-control-columbus-could-make-ballot-affordable-housing/9537505002/

A group has begun circulating petitions to put an initiative before Columbus voters that would create residential rent control in the city and require landlords to be licensed.

If approved by voters, the proposed initiative would create a new city Department of Fair Housing that would be tasked with licensing landlords and running the residential rent control program.

The proposed new city department would set base rental rates, then adjust them based on the percentage increase of the annual change of compensation and benefits the U.S. Department of Labor publishes. For seniors and disabled residents, annual Social Security cost-of-living adjustments (COLA) would guide their rents.
View Quote

The state legislature needs to pass legislation prohibiting rent control.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/columbus/coalition-wants-rent-control-on-ballot/

Pretty good article here.

If this gets on the ballot, Columbus is FUH-UCKED...
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Ugh this shit is sickining. yay my tenant let some homeless "family" move in. Haven't paid rent and took over 3 months to evict.
Yeah that won't take any time at all to make up for not only the lost profits ( miniscule as they are about $$100 per month after all expenses ) and the cost to turn it.

Paging 1851 center for constitutional law. 1851 to the white courtesy phone.
https://ohioconstitution.org/
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/columbus/coalition-wants-rent-control-on-ballot/

Pretty good article here.

If this gets on the ballot, Columbus is FUH-UCKED...
View Quote

@Leisure_Shoot  I think cbus is already there based on the Columbus cops I know.   That being said rent control is BS no matter where it is, I get the intent, but its still not a good idea.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If the state doesn't restrict this, it will be very bad overall.

Columbus is trending towards horrible, to likes every other large city. American urban/metro/liberal culture is garbage, and will destroy this one great nation. (Which is what it is obviously designed to do to lead to Globalism)
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have always lived rural.

I have heard of rent control but why is it bad?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you own an item, and the government tells you what you can charge to rent it, how do you think that will work out long term?
Fuck the statist fucks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Search for "Thomas Sowell rent control" and you'll find videos of him talking about it.  He's not the only economist critical of rent control.  As a matter of fact, the one thing all professional economists agree on is that rent control does not work.

The same patterns happen all around the world.

Less new housing is built and old housing wears out, eventually cities are left with dilapidated homes.

Politicians will step in and say things such as "We want to protect the poor with rent control, the rich don't need to be protected from rent increases".  Luxury housing and economical housing use many of the same materials and labor so more luxury housing is built and less economical housing is built.

For another, a family in rent-controlled properties will stay in larger properties even after the kids move out for many years.  This keeps new families out of the larger property.

Rent control doesn't generally apply to commercial property, so more commercial properties will be built and less economical housing is built.

There are always secondary effects that always eventually bite you in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
If passed, there will simply be fewer and fewer landlords; people willing to invest in rental property. Sooner rather than later the citizenry will get what they vote for.

Ohio is a pretty conservative State (generally speaking). Columbus is turning into a wasteland and will soon look like Seattle or Portland.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top