Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2010 5:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 8:54:33 PM EDT by cms81586]
Post up if you're coming!

Annnnnnnndddd....here is the thread for the 3rd "Colorado Springs" crew campout/shoot up in Pike National Forest near Tarryall Reservior. As usual, anyone who is interested is invited to come up as long as you are responsible and safe. How does everyone feel about September 11th and 12th? This weekend seems to work well for some who attended the last few times. I will probably go up on Saturday morning instead of Friday night this time. The wife is gonna go as long as it's not too cold at night. This may be the last campout of the year up there. Weather dependant...it can be cold and snowy up there by Oct but we may see if it could work out. Below are links to the last two shoots/campouts we've done so far.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=421151

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=411063

We all usually just bring some food and chip in. Beer comes out only after the guns are put away. Should have some steel targets to shoot but if not we'll figure something out. You can shoot out past 1000yds there. As before, if you don't have a habitat stamp (comes with fishing and hunting license), pick one up. It's $5 or $6. We did most of our cooking over the fire this last time but bring a grill if you wish. Tents are not necessary but does make it a little nicer with the weather getting colder. Fire wood is all over the place out there so no need to bring any along unless you want to. New faces are welcome and encouraged. Come out and meet some ARFCOMers and have a good time.

Additionally, I plan on making the fire pit a little bigger and making some small improvements around the site. More details on that shortly.

Location: From the Springs, West on HWY24 through the Ute Pass. Stay on 24 past Florissant. Make a right turn onto County Rd 77 and stay on that for about 28miles. You'll come to Tarryall Reservior. Just before the reservior take Turner Gulch road (left turn) and follow that about four miles. We'll be camping off to the right. Here are grids:

Actual campsite:

N 39 12.147'
W 105 38.813'

MGRS 13S DD 44145 39447

Dirt road turn off to site:

N 39 12.348'
W 105 38.809'

13S DD 44156 39819

Turn off from County Rd 77 to dirt Road

N 39 13.262'
W 105 36.152'

13S DD 47989 41479

CMS
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:40:10 PM EDT
I'm out for sure on this one. I'm setting up at a gun show in Colo Spgs that weekend.
Some day I'll make one of these.
Sarge
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:28:53 PM EDT
CMS, those stands of aspen trees off in the distance, in the pics you posted could be real colorful about then. Sounds like a good time to get back into the hills.

Still have a bruise or two from falling out of my camper at oh-four-thirty that morning but the aches 'n pains are mostly just back to normal by now.

Looking forward to the outing, again!

Bailagent100
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:43:54 AM EDT
At least you didn't break anything. Ya need to bring some stairs for that thing next time... The nearest hospital is only about 50mins away... We can check out some other areas to camp near there. I almost don't want to move since that spot is so nice but maybe we can do a recon up there and look around. We'll figure something out.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:00:57 AM EDT
For me, that weekend conflicts with the 18th Dragonman MG shoot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:17:30 AM EDT
Got a birthday to attend to on the 12th. I'll make it out to one of these someday.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:07:16 PM EDT
I'd like to do some hiking this time as well. I might bring the mountain bike out too. If you're up for a ride the dirt roads should make for a nice ride. If I take the truck I'll definitely have it.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:00:55 PM EDT
I think myself and the bro in law are goint to try and make this one.
What are the fire regulations/facilities?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:47:45 PM EDT
Fire regs can change depending on Fire Danger Level. I check as I pass through Florissant and the fire station each time. We have a fire pit which we're going to make a little larger this time up. There are restroom facilities at Tarryall Reservior about 3-4 miles away if you aren't into finding a tree.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:33:25 PM EDT
We are in-I just am trying to figure what heat source for the grub. I think I'll bring the stoves
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:48:53 PM EDT
Sounds good. We usually cook over a grate over the fire but a stove will work nice too depending on what you're looking at cooking.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2010 6:41:43 AM EDT by cms81586]
Looks like we have these people so far...

Bailagent100
Hockeysew, his son, his BIL, and his BIL's nephew
Matt S. and his Brother (and Tookey the dog possibly)
cms81586 and possibly Household6 and dog
longhunterCO may stop in for the day on Sat
EX0331 possibly
Bettendorf is a possibility but not looking likely

So we're looking at about 10 or so thus far....

CMS
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:08:46 PM EDT
Can I bring mah dawg and The Skunque? I've been diggin' the riding with the top down and sometimes with the windscreen down, too.

4-on the floor, 2WD/4WD, Locking Diff, Granny Gear....a veritable mountain goat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:11:21 PM EDT
Of course! Would be a good place to drive around too. Plenty of back roads to check out up there.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:30:29 AM EDT
Now, that looks like a hoot!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:49:53 AM EDT
Is the belt fed coming with? Semi or NFA? Someone out there had a MG during the last shoot. Not with our group but we could hear them rocking the FA every now and then to our southeast.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:36:50 PM EDT
Add 2 more to the mix-My youngest (18) and the BIL's nephew who at 22 has never been camping before. The nephew is funny-he has bought a bunch of survival type books and says he wants to "Kill it and Grill it!!
I guess that takes spaghettii off the menu...........
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:22:28 PM EDT
Sounds good! We're looking at about 8 or 9...and it's looking less and less like the wife will come along since she may be busy with some other stuff. Can't wait to get out there and see everyone! Gotta decide if I want to spend $300 on ammo or a Ruger MK III so I can shoot cheaper on the pistol side.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:13:17 PM EDT
As far as targets go I have a case of biodegradable clay pidgeons I can cart up.
I also have an ass ton of empty spray paint cans-now dont everybody get in a tizzy-it is the waterbased underground utility marking paint locators use, 1 good rain and it is gone-What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:41:09 PM EDT
Sounds like that will work. I'm going to work on getting some steel and I'll bring some paint along this time so we can actually see it when we're shooting at it with irons at 400yds

CMS
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:42:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
Can I bring mah dawg and The Skunque? I've been diggin' the riding with the top down and sometimes with the windscreen down, too.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/adlerarmory/Cdn%20Forces%20Kit/ISAF7.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/adlerarmory/Cdn%20Forces%20Kit/ISAF10.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/adlerarmory/Cdn%20Forces%20Kit/ISAF6.jpg

4-on the floor, 2WD/4WD, Locking Diff, Granny Gear....a veritable mountain goat.

Should we add you down as a maybe or are you planning on attending?

CMS
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:13:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 12:17:57 AM EDT by stoner63a]
I don't have a tent anymore other than an Ecotat in Forest Endor Pattern..lol.....but I do have a Bubba Cot, my back is FVBAR so I can't sleep on the ground. Worse case scenario, I can make a hooch from the Iltis Vinly Top and Frame. I snore, so I wouldn't want to ruin somebody's weekend. They've got me on some gnarly meds. Afrin and Breathe-Right Strips help reduce the snoring from my meds...muscle relaxers, anti-arthritics, anti-convulsants, pain med.......

I do have a small propane tailgate grill, like the small George Forman Habachi-looing grill.

The FN MAG58 is airsoft, couldn't afford $10k for the Ohio Ordnance semi-auto version. I use it for displays and parades.

In Granny Gear, she is a mountain goat, I've beem wanting to take her off-roading but, being disabled, it would suck getting stuck somewheres out of cell phone range........

I've got the matching 1/4 ton trailer with tarp for it but I haven't started the restoration process on it yet. Can actually float with 500lbs of kit in it.

Eta: While trying to find the grid on my Pike National Forest, Forest Service Map, wouldn't it be shorter and faster to get there by continuing West on Hwy 24, about 3.75 miles, then turn North onto State Road 23, which turns into Turner Gulch Road after it loops around Rishabergen Mountain?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:40:59 PM EDT
RT 23 May be shorter....I don't know the condition of the road though. I may try going out that way if I take the truck. The directions posted up give you the least time on a dirt road which is probably best for a car. If I can I'll recon that road before the shoot.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:11:38 PM EDT
Havent gone to anything ARFCOM yet.

However, I start Vaca on that day. I just might have to take the plunge.

Put me down as a possible. I will contact another bud to see if he would be interested also.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:40:40 AM EDT
I don't have a tent anymore other than an Ecotat in Forest Endor Pattern..lol.....but I do have a Bubba Cot, my back is FVBAR so I can't sleep on the ground. Worse case scenario, I can make a hooch from the Iltis Vinly Top and Frame. I snore, so I wouldn't want to ruin somebody's weekend. They've got me on some gnarly meds. Afrin and Breathe-Right Strips help reduce the snoring from my meds...muscle relaxers, anti-arthritics, anti-convulsants, pain med.......

I do have a small propane tailgate grill, like the small George Forman Habachi-looing grill.

The FN MAG58 is airsoft, couldn't afford $10k for the Ohio Ordnance semi-auto version. I use it for displays and parades.

In Granny Gear, she is a mountain goat, I've beem wanting to take her off-roading but, being disabled, it would suck getting stuck somewheres out of cell phone range........

I've got the matching 1/4 ton trailer with tarp for it but I haven't started the restoration process on it yet. Can actually float with 500lbs of kit in it.

Eta: While trying to find the grid on my Pike National Forest, Forest Service Map, wouldn't it be shorter and faster to get there by continuing West on Hwy 24, about 3.75 miles, then turn North onto State Road 23, which turns into Turner Gulch Road after it loops around Rishabergen Mountain?

Also I have a tent if you want to borrow one. I think I have 3 tents actually...

CMS
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:51:49 AM EDT
The soft mount will mount a Browning M1919A4 if somebody's got one.

IS there anybody that would need a ride up? I don't mind burning my gas, the problem I have is, I tend to overdo it activity-wise, then end up in more pain. The distance might be difficult for me to drive on my own. But, I can take 3 or 4 in the Iltis, and put whatever gear in the trailer once I get the wiring harness properly installed.

I've also got a small propane heater, about the same size as the 25lb BBQ tanks, Piezo ignition.

Whatever tent I use would need to be big enough to allow a cot inside. IF not, I can run a hooch off the side of the Skunque for me and Shebah-Sue, something to keep the big hairy Sasquatches out, ya know?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:38:05 PM EDT
I'll throw a couple aluminium 'Army' style cots in the truck just in case someone else wants to get off the ground.

I spent my share of nights on a cot, in a wall tent, while guiding summer pack trips & hunters for 18 years. (I'll be in my camper.)

And I may be able to bring one or two (heavy) steel silhouette targets, after all. And spray paint...gotta remember some paint.

Since the bbq'd chicken went over so well, last time, I'll plan on doing that again.

Oh...if we're gonna have a larger fire pit and more people, we should probably have another grate (or two) for grilling on. Anyone have an extra they could bring along?

Just thinking out loud here.

Bailagent100

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:44:57 PM EDT
I noticed the directions to the site are for those coming up from the Springs.
We are coming from Denver without a GPS.
Are we going to be better off 285 to Hartsell to 24 or dropping down through Buffalo Creek/Deckers off of 126 (I think) and then catching 24?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:43:54 AM EDT
I couldn't say for sure. I know going through Deckers will probably take longer along 67 since the road isn't the best. I'd say try mapquest from your address to there and see what you get. If you need to meet up let me know and I'll figure something out for catching you in the Springs before I head up Ute Pass.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:03:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hockeysew:
I noticed the directions to the site are for those coming up from the Springs.
We are coming from Denver without a GPS.
Are we going to be better off 285 to Hartsell to 24 or dropping down through Buffalo Creek/Deckers off of 126 (I think) and then catching 24?

You can take 285 from Denver to Jefferson, then catch Tarryall Road (County Road 77) right to Tarryall Reservoir. That's how I'd do it if I were coming from the metro area. Check your Google Maps to confirm.

Going to Hartsel would get you there but it's the long way around.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:50:46 PM EDT
Bailagent100...if you have room bring as many cots as you can. I'll try to do the same as well. I'm going to see if I can grab a few. As for the grates....that little one is all I have. I'll see how much they are and maybe pick one up. Matt should be coming and I'm sure he'll bring his as well. I'll post up if I get anything. I have and will bring some spray paint for steel targets as well.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:41:16 PM EDT
I've got one extra Army Cot I can loan out, and can bring my propane heater with a 25lb BBQ tank. It may be getting chilly up there by then. IF I can sort out my trailer wiring harness, I can haul extra firewood, tents, cots, etc from Colo Spgs, leaving NLT 1500 on Friday.

Who has the mobile Starbucks expresso or uber cawfee maker?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:00:46 PM EDT
I'm going to try to see if I can dig up my bigger tent. I have a few two man tents and then a 4 person which I think the wife will want to use. I'll get back to you if I can find my 6 person tent that is packed away somewhere.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:00:21 PM EDT
Anyone else thinking of coming up? We're less than a week out now. Still contemplating taking up the grill but I gotta get my LP tank refilled.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 10:47:49 PM EDT by cms81586]
We have one more coming from Snipershide.

Just a quick update...In light of the fire up in Boulder and a recon of the campsite on Monday, it's very dry out. I haven't seen anything about a burn ban up at the camping area but I'm asking anyone attending to bring a spade shovel and a rake if possible, along with a fire extinguisher or two. I don't want us being responsible for something like this happening up there.....

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/102293334.html?storySection=story

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=604483777001#/News/Boulder+fire+aerials/49906872001/50183015001/604483777001

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1087393&page=1

We're going to clear out any grass around the camp fire as well as near any steel targets we shoot at to make sure we don't get anything started. Anyone know where to check online to see if a specific area has a burn ban in effect?

CMS
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:29:13 AM EDT
The wife, dog and I are coming but we won't be there until maybe 4:00PM on Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:47:20 AM EDT
Sounds good. You happen to have a spade shovel or anything like that....I have some stuff I'm going to bring but I'm a little worried about the campfire since what's going on up in Boulder. I'll have two extinguishers at the minimum.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:14:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Sounds good. You happen to have a spade shovel or anything like that....I have some stuff I'm going to bring but I'm a little worried about the campfire since what's going on up in Boulder. I'll have two extinguishers at the minimum.

CMS

Bigger than a spade, smaller than a fullsize shovel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:20:53 PM EDT
I'll bring a round-nose shovel, a rake and a fire extinguisher, too.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 3:52:24 PM EDT by stoner63a]
I've got a military D-handle shovel and axe on my rig, along with a fire extinguisher.

Anybody got one of those 3' diameter iron fire rings?

ETA: Here's a 6' dia, 24" tall concrete ring, only $25, but how to haul it up there? Then hope a buncha rednecks don't shoot at it with 12ga slug or .50BMG:
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/grd/1908431913.html

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:44:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 3:45:28 PM EDT by cms81586]
We have a stone pit up there that I'd like to expand and also clear out all of the grass anywhere withing 10-15 feet of the pit...as well as dig down to dirt beneath steel targets to ensure we don't have sparks lighting anything up as well.

CMS

ETA: If anyone has a steel fire ring by all means bring it along too!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:25:43 PM EDT
Couple of shovels and a small pick here. We are not going to be fire dependant for cooking. I take it this is a non established campsite so we will not be looking for a campground sign or such.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 9:23:23 PM EDT by cms81586]
Couple of shovels and a small pick here. We are not going to be fire dependant for cooking. I take it this is a non established campsite so we will not be looking for a campground sign or such.....

Correct. I'll mark the turn off of Turner Gulch Rd with something. Probably a cardboard box with a bolt face logo stapled to it. The site is only about 100yds off of Turner Gulch. As long as we're smart about it we'll be alright...but we'll make it a judgement call when we get there as well. If it's dry as a bone we'll make the decision to nix the campfire.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:20:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 9:22:28 PM EDT by cms81586]
I've got a military D-handle shovel and axe on my rig, along with a fire extinguisher.

Anybody got one of those 3' diameter iron fire rings?

ETA: Here's a 6' dia, 24" tall concrete ring, only $25, but how to haul it up there? Then hope a buncha rednecks don't shoot at it with 12ga slug or .50BMG:
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/grd/1908431913.html
http://images.craigslist.org/3md3pf3of5V55Q45T1a8j25a6f39ce10714a6.jpg

I think that would be alright up there. The current ring that's there has been there for years and is always in good order when we show up. Could even stack the existing stones around it to make it nice and purdy.... If we can find a way to haul that thing up there I'd be willing to go parts on it if anyone else is willing to chip in a few bucks.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:46:42 PM EDT
http://www.cofireban.info/

There are currently no fire restrictions in Park County, which where the site is. We're looking good.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:51:20 AM EDT
Gotta work Friday and Saturday, 1500-0100. I just may come up after shift though. Probably not but we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:22:08 AM EDT
Alright, I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:35:30 AM EDT
Were going to head out Friday sometime. The BIL has a couple of things he needs to get done and then we will roll. Borrowed a Garmin so getting there should not be an issue
We have an extra grate for the fire if need be along with shovels & a pick.
Any other pertinent needs you guys can think of?

Question- is there a stream and or fishable water close?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:45:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 6:49:39 AM EDT by cms81586]
Were going to head out Friday sometime. The BIL has a couple of things he needs to get done and then we will roll. Borrowed a Garmin so getting there should not be an issue
We have an extra grate for the fire if need be along with shovels & a pick.
Any other pertinent needs you guys can think of?

Question- is there a stream and or fishable water close?

I'm going to head up friday pending my wife attending or not. If she don't come I'm going to go Friday after work. If she does come we'll be there Sat morning. The site is on the west side of Turner Gulch road about 100 yds off. The grids are accurate. Bailagent100 used them to get up there with no issues last time we went. There's a grove of trees and the fire ring is up there as well.

So far:

Bailagent100
Hockeysew, his son, his BIL, and his BIL's nephew
Matt S. and his Brother (and Tookey the dog possibly)
cms81586 and possibly Household6 and dog
longhunterCO may stop in for the day on Sat
EX0331 possibly
Bettendorf will be up late Sat afternoon
Peterson985
Possibly Jeeper401
One member from Snipershide

CMS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:19:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 12:27:22 PM EDT by cms81586]
Not going to be able to get my hands on any cots....

Forgot to add...there is fishing in Tarryall Reservior as well as below the dam.

If anyone needs to get ahold of me with questions about the location or how to get there...call my cell at:

(five seven zero) seven eight six - seven four four six

Matt and his brother will be heading up there on Friday afternoon and will be on site for anyone planning on arriving tomorrow in case I'm not there.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:58:45 PM EDT
Alright....I got the two (heavy) steel targets loaded up. I'm also bringing a couple old wood pallets to use as a pistol target stand and/or fuel for the campfire.

The targets are made of AR (abrasion resistant, IIRC) 500 steel. They'll take a lot of punishment but, please, guys, no A.P. or steel core rounds on these units. They will pock-mark the targets so, again, no A.P. or steel core rounds, please.

I have a case of clay birds & a hand trap so bring your scatterguns 'n some target loads, guys. Anyone else bringing claybirds? 90 birds won't last long with this many people coming up.

I probably won't get out of here until Saturday sometime...hopefully before noon.

Bailagen100
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top