Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 4:00:04 AM EDT
I got an email last week from a Deputy Sheriff in the Denver Metro Area. He is in charge of the CCW program at his particular Sheriff's Department. He asked that I pass on some information to whoever wanted to listen.

The Colorado Sheriff's Association (CSOC) has begun to routinely audit CCW permit applications for the validity of training credentials. They have found that there are numerous schools and or instructors out there that are not "valid." That is to say, they have not bee certified as an instructor by an approved training provider, and or, their instructor certification was expired at the time they taught the class.

If the instructor is not certified by a provider recognized by the state, or his instructor certification was expired or invalid for some reason, then the Sheriff will not approve your application for a CCW. Apparently there is now a move within CSOC to legislate a fix for this. This will probably mean that in the future to teach a CCW class you will need to be approved by the state, or certified by the state in some manner or fashion. Much like Arizona and Utah do now.

In the meantime, if you take a CCW class, please verify that your instructor is who he says he is, and that his teaching credentials are valid. If not then you may have wasted a lot of time and money.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Thnks for the haeds up. I agree that something needs to be done to clarify who is a 'valid' CCW instructor in CO. The law is sop vague that right now it is essentialy up to the sheriff to decide if the training course meets the crtieria. To me it felt like an easy way for applications to be denied by counties like Denver and Boulder.

I said, "Fuck it" and got a Utah permit. Faster and easier to get, cheaper, valid in lots of states, plus it keeps me out of that stupid criminal database that all of the metro area counties will put you on if you have a CCW.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a Utah Instructor. And I can say without reservation, Florida is the way to go.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
How are you able to get an out of state CCW?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes

FL CCW

(4) Florida issues concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals regardless of whether or not they are Florida residents. MICHIGAN and NEW HAMPSHIRE will honor the Florida license ONLY IF the license holder is a legal resident of Florida.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#5]
You can get a permit in Utah. But you have to attend training given by an instructor that is approved by Utah.

You can get a permit in Arizona. But you have to attend training given by an instructor that is approved by Arizona. It is a true "weapons" permit, but only in Arizona.

You can get a permit in Florida, and the NRA Basic Pistol training works for that, regardless of where you were trained. A while back when Michael Moore's body guard was arrested in New York City, he was using a Florida permit. But of course New York doesn't recognize anybody's permit.

You can get a permit in Texas, but I'm not sure of the process.

There may be other examples as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:50:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one from Florida! it is THE way to go! Simple easy and fast.

Do any of you know if there is a web site that lists the aproved instructors in the state or are you at the mercy of what the instructor says he is?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am a Utah Instructor. And I can say without reservation, Florida is the way to go.

Is there a particular disadvantage to Utah vs. Florida?

Just curious since I went with a Utah non-res permit (mainly because of the cost of the Florida permit and renewal).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious since I went with a Utah non-res permit (mainly because of the cost of the Florida permit and renewal).

Florida does not require special training. In Utah you must take a class taught by a Utah certified instructor. Florida only wants proof of training. So Florida is easier to get, and reciprocity is as good or better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Florida does not require special training. In Utah you must take a class taught by a Utah certified instructor. Florida only wants proof of training. So Florida is easier to get, and reciprocity is as good or better.

Makes sense.  Although I had no problem finding a Utah instructor, it may be a problem for others.

Thanks for the response, Lancelot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top