Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/21/2003 4:14:59 PM EDT

Being new to MN, I am going to take my baby out for a little range time soon. What should I do differently in cold weather (below 32 degrees) with the AR that I might not do in warmer weather? Any precautions?

Yeah. Dress warmly. Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:27:09 PM EDT
Dont use Break Free or any other CLP, this stuff seems to "Gel UP" on you

I use Militech and Clenzoil for lube

Bring more ammo the barrel dont heat up as fast

Oh yeah 1 more thing

Have a great time
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:40:23 AM EDT
If you want a better cold weather CLP than Breakfree, use FP-10. In extreme cold weather, don't use any at all, or use a dry lubricant. Becarefull not to breath on or touch your ammo and firing pin if you can help it, the moisture you leave can freeze things up. Of course, I am talking EXTREME cold (-40 to -70). I have also used a hint of Hoppes #9 as a lubricant in such extremes. Normally I use Rem Oil or FP-10 sparingly. You may loose a little velocity in your ammo as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:40:42 PM EDT
i don't use any lube. if i have it didn't cause any problems. i usually forget to bring it with even in the summer.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:17:40 PM EDT
In normal weather, I use a little Gunslick oil, or Hoppes 9 with rust protection...

In cold weather, I use LSA:

www.sarcoinc.com/new60.html

US Military gun oil that is supposedly designed to withstand extreme temperatures. I've used it last winter with no malfunctions in my AR (even firing cheap-ass barnaul russian ammo). Seems to work fine for me in ~10 degree weather from last january's shoot. Haven't tried shooting subzero with my AR15 yet.

Camping in the cold weather is one thing... I can build a fire, setup camp, and enjoy a peaceful clear winter night out in rural MN. A truly humbling and peaceful thing.

Anyway, I don't go out shooting a lot in the winter anymore (haven't had much time on my hands these days). I did a few years back, but that was just with bolt action 22's... Nothing that really "Jams". But my extremely limited experience with LSA seems to work fine.
Top Top