Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2007 5:47:54 PM EDT
[rant on]  I was in Coal Creek Armory today and was blown away, every time I go in there for anything other than using the shooting range, I wonder why I bothered.   One of the bigest reasons I usually go into any gunstore, is not to buy a gun, but to see what ammo they have cheap.  I won't usually go in for a gun, but if they keep me going there enough with decent ammo prices, usually eventually I'll start buying guns.  Well low and behold in the pile of surplus and case lot ammo I see 3 cases of Wolf 55gr fmj......I thought to myself, maybe I'll go ahead and pick one up.   The price.........$299.00!!!!!  I know perfectly well and understand that they are in business to make money, but they won't make another dollar of mine if they expect people to bend over and take prices like that.  

An educated shopper on here can usually still find wolf on occassion for $190-210 I would say if they're not in a rush.  Figure in shipping, about $20.......that makes for $210-230 range....forgeting for a moment that the distributors we buy from are making a profit on that ammo....let say that CCA buys from the same guys we do for the same price we do.....I could maybe understand $240-260 a case to have the luxury of having it now, and picking it up locally.   But $299????  Thats just insulting.  I'm a big believer in supporting local businesses.....but if that is the best I can look forward too....I'll buy online and at walmart every time, I won't even bother looking there.  I'm even the kind of guy that will buy a few boxes of different ammo everytime I go in a shop just to give it a try, even if it is overpriced by a couple bucks....they don't even seem to try to stock any decent loads of popular calibers.   I guess I must be missing the point.   [rant off]
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What did you expect from CCA? They are always higher than anyone else around, I have not found any cheap ammo in the Knox area.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Reloaders bench in Mt Juliet had some commercial reloads 55gr for  a resaonable price last week. IIRC about 300 per k. Smaller amounts were also for sale.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Joelton Gun Shop has 55 & 62 Grain Wolf Polymer coated for around $130 for 500 rounds. I just graduated Patrol Rifle Instructor last week and ran over 1k of it through several guns, including F/A and suppressed as well as SBR without a hitch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I really never understood this type of complaint.  If it's overpriced, the market will fix it.  

Regardless, most gun shops sell ammo as an accessory to a gun you just bought from them.  It's like any other business.  Adding an extra DVD drive to a computer from dell is more expensive than buying it from somewhere else.  That's where the best profit is: in upselling.

eta:
and if you think that's overpriced, check out Gander Mountain out by Turkey Creek next time you go by Coal Creek.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not saying that it won't sell for that price.....actually, I believe it probably will, eventually some fool will will buy it.   I don't deny the prices at Gander Mountain are ridiculous either, they have to TRY and pay for that fancy building.   My point is not that you can make money on taking the 10 morons that go in there looking for ammo and will pay whatever is marked on the box, but that you would make ALOT MORE money to be fair, and to take care of customers that will become loyal knowing that you're not out to bend them over.   Many "businessmen" these days are all about the all powerful dollar and have forgot about loyalty, fairness, and customer service.  I would pay an extra 10% to have a trusted sporting goods shop locally that were interested in what I want to buy when I come into their shop, and that trys to be competitive, not the cheapest, but just competitive.  I'd buy every round there that I used on their range so I didn't deplete my ammo if it was more competitive.   Its not about the money, its about them wanting my business.  Obviously, they can count me out.   I don't have a problem with anyone that works there, but I believe their business model could certainly be improved upon.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree.  Their business model most certainly can be improved upon.  I had them bob tail my Les Baer.  They did a great job, at a fair price, and in a reasonable time frame.  I was so happy with that work that I dropped off my Glock 30 for a grip reduction, and was told that the work would be done with in a week or two.  After a month I called them.  I was told that the work had been started but was not totally finished.  They said that I was more than welcome to pick it up if I wanted to.  So, I wonder, do they still need to remove the finger grooves or what?  So, I stop by to see what has been done.  Nothing has been done.  I was told that they no longer did grip reductions.  Well, WTF?  Why tell me that the work had been started.  Why hold onto my gun for a month if the work was not going to be done?

As for their prices, they are high on ammo, some of their guns are reasonably priced.  The fact of the matter is that I/you have the choice to spend our money there or not.  They have the right to conduct business the way they see fit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I agree.  Their business model most certainly can be improved upon.  I had them bob tail my Les Baer.  They did a great job, at a fair price, and in a reasonable time frame.  I was so happy with that work that I dropped off my Glock 30 for a grip reduction, and was told that the work would be done with in a week or two.  After a month I called them.  I was told that the work had been started but was not totally finished.  They said that I was more than welcome to pick it up if I wanted to.  So, I wonder, do they still need to remove the finger grooves or what?  So, I stop by to see what has been done.  Nothing has been done.  I was told that they no longer did grip reductions.  Well, WTF?  Why tell me that the work had been started.  Why hold onto my gun for a month if the work was not going to be done?

As for their prices, they are high on ammo, some of their guns are reasonably priced.  The fact of the matter is that I/you have the choice to spend our money there or not.  They have the right to conduct business the way they see fit.

They most certainly have the right to conduct business the way they see fit.  I wouldn't want anyone telling me what do with my business.  I just think its a shame.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's priced at 299 it is probably because people are buying it at 299.  I have been in cold creek a few times.  I bought stripped lower from them for a very fair price and they have always been helpful and knowledgable to me.  

The only think I have ever heard negative about them is an AR Trigger install.  Yes I know, why would anyone pay to have an AR trigger installed.  It was my brother in laws first AR.  He bought a new trigger for it (RRA NM 2stage I believe) and didn't want to do it himself.  He took it there to have it installed and they had it for almost a month to install a trigger.  I guess maybe they were busy but I think if it were me, I would just stick a trigger in real quick for a customer.  But honestly, what do I know, I have never worked in a sales/service job so it might not be that easy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I only get up that away about twice a year.  I hated that after the old man died Guncraft died too.  I'm glad the building is still a gun range and hope CCA have a profitable business.  Great range, well ventilated and lit, people who like guns too.  Even Wally World can be high on some things.  Mumbling off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top