Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 8:15:22 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with co-witnessed BUIS on a Beuwolf  for Brown Bear? Just interested in what may have worked for you or what you think may work. I asked this question on the variants form and all I got was a page full of questions.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Not real sure what you mean but I have a .50 beowulf that I'm using to hunt brown bear. I have a BUIS and an Aimpoint. I feel a lot more comfortable hunting dangerous game with the BUIS as a backup. Not to mention if things go wrong in transportation and the scope gets goofed up, I wont have to shoot from the hip
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
what are you planning on co-witnessing with?

dude i was just trying to help you out, do you know what co-witnessing is?

if not here it is

co-witnessing is when your reddot "non-magnified" lines up with your irons when veiwing through them.

that being said what would it matter if youre hunting brown bear

with the right optics and right mounts it would "co-witness"

the beowulf is set up similar to any other ar15.

the upper is the same and the height of the railed gasblock that comes on the entry model is the same.

maybe you should look through the optics thread first and find out whats what.

the only thing to keep in mind is co-witnessing does not work with magnified scopes only no-powers

so to co-witness it would limit you on what scopes to get and if you plan on getting a magnified scope there is no co-witnessing with it and keep the eye relief in mind or
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#3]
also noticed that you have added more info in your question.

would that be because of all those questions in the other thread you started in the variants forum?

im just trying to help you out and in your question it doesnt state much of what your trying to do.

co-witnessing often includes rifle,optics, and buis

none of which you have stated so no-one has any idea unless they are mind readers, what your working with.

just trying to help you get you question answered but if thats no wanted then please let me know and i will retract all post.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
ekilikwhoa:
I know what cowitnessing is and how it works. As I stated in my unedited original question it will be used for close quarters carry work for brown bear. That requirement was stated in my uneditied original question and the implication I changed it to hide the fact you didn't read it when it was originally posted is really lame. You could of easily missed it because it was in the title from the beginning not edited.
There is a world of difference between shooting rocks, paper or brown bear. Does the iron sights snag brush, alders etc when you are crawling on your hands and knees, do they tolerate the severe marine environment , do they and the choice of no maginfication optics hold up well in a float plane, 4 wheeler or snowmobile? Does it perform well in low light and low temperature conditions? Those questions are best answered by people experienced in the role I specified in my original question. If you feel you have something to contribute from actual experience in those conditions please do. I am not trying to fuel a pissing match I am just trying to find out what works from someone who has been there and done that.  I should of realized someone who has not hunted brown bear at close quarters would consider the question vague. Trust me anyone who has been there and done that knows the requirements and I was hoping to duplicate whatever worked for them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a 50 Beo but if I did I would get the Larue QD fixed rear sight it isn't going to snag more that whatever optic you have on it will  I would also cut off the top portion of the 300yd peep.  I find that at least for me the U is quicker and to pick up and while not much give you more actual viewing area.  You will still be able to co-witness you just won't be co-witnessing in a circle it will be a U.  

The throw lever doesn't stick out and shouldn't come undone without trying to undo it

the windage adjustment is flush so it will be harder to accidental bump and change settings.

you can also put little dots of paint around the peep so that it works better in low-light

just my thoughts I haven't used it but if i were going to get a Beo for griz it is what I would do.

for a front sight I would go with something non-flip up . less moving parts = less parts that can fail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
TexanAK and Homegrown:
Now thats what I'm talking about. Thanks for the input. I've used a Beuwolf with old 1x4 Leupold with no BUIS for a couple years and have been asked to build another Beuwolf for a friend that wants to use it as strictly a close quarters backup carry gun for growlers.  I have no preference for the selection for BUIS or the zero or very low manginification scope but wanted to hear from people who have done it in similair conditions to what it will be used in.  You don't get that experience punching paper, rocks, beer cans or watermelons.
Good point about the throw lever on the Larue. If it can get caught in brush it problably will. I used to carry a 375 and a 416 and I had both of the bolts modified so they wouldn't unlock on safety. On several occasions when crawling on my hands and knees I've had the bolt come uncocked in brush rendering the weapon useless till you close it.  Also a good idea to remove the top of the 300 peep as I hope it would never have to be used at that range.  Also agree with the less moving parts.
Thanks for the input I appreciat it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully this time next month I'll have a picture of a big ol brown rug on the half shell with my smiling grille holding my beowhoop

You cant do this in France
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Full view

Sight down

Sight up

Front

I neutered my cat, now he's french
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Texan:
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos. Looking good. What kind of extended capacity magazines are you using?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Those are standard AR-15 30rd magazines. They hold 10 of the .50's. No modifications and they have performed flawlessly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top