Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 7:34:00 PM EDT
Anyone know the closest range to OC that doesnt have a year + waiting list?    I'd love to join Canby but it takes forever and 3 days to get a membership.    TCGC comes to mind but.....   Is there a "pit" where you can practice draws and moving?    I most often go to local pits to shoot but it would be nice to do bench work every once in awhile.    I also dont want to pay a zillion dollars a year.  

I'm going to have crappy days off ( weds/thurs) for the next year can I shoot at TCGC those days?    

Other range options?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Try here.

It is a nice place too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget Douglas Ridge as well.

So TCGC. You can practice draws in the pistol pits after you pass a IPSC certification. Moving...generally not. No moving with a rifle. And no rifles in the pistol pits.

I would love to get a PR style practice session going, but who allows it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't forget Douglas Ridge as well.

So TCGC. You can practice draws in the pistol pits after you pass a IPSC certification. Moving...generally not. No moving with a rifle. And no rifles in the pistol pits.

I would love to get a PR style practice session going, but who allows it?

Ya and it should be in Hillsboro!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ya and it should be in Hillsboro!

Agreed. We need a shoothouse.

Note: that's "shoothouse" not "shithouse".
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You can shoot pistol caliber carbines in the pistol pits and you can do all the (safe) moving you want in them.... of course I don't have a pistol caliber carbine...

You can at least move around with your rifles once a month with the PR match.

TCGC has pretty decent 100 and 200/300 ranges with nice benches.  If you need to shoot at 600 yards, you can come out to Peter's 600 yard shoot on the 3rd Saturday of the month.  (That's tomorrow 12/17/2005 8:00).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I'm stuck with the pits I go to.    At least I can shoot and move.   The biggest issue is range, I cant get much more than 100yds there and only about 65 at the one I usually go to.   On the bright side there's hardly anyone else ever there.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Mark

Check out estacada rod and gun club its a lot cheaper its a small club and really only good for sighting in
and bench shooting and unless it has changed its policy you can bring a guest with you when you shoot for
no extra charge most other clubs charge $5 to bring a guest so this also good if you want to take
your boys out shooting or hey me i really need to zero.

im not a member but have concidered to keep all my guns on target its a lot better than trying to sight off
a tree stump it just past dougles left at the chevon then i think the first right
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I've sighted in rifles there at Estacada.   They seemed a bit tense to me, single loading autoloaders only and the rules on their .22 range.    A chat with one of the long time members kind of turned me off of that one.    He was bragging about getting someone kicked out for shooting their .22 too fast or something like that.     I can see safety rules but it seemed like they would not be black rifle friendly.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]
well i guess that helps me with my decision as well sounds like not a place i want to be a member at . may be best just to invest in a good portable shooting bench and find a good 100yd or  better pit to shoot at.  you shooting any time soon ? i hope to go shooting up in the outside estacada on the new year holiday hope to find the 7.62 bolt i lost up there but im sure its buried in mud and possibly snow.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Douglas Ridge near Carver is pretty good. You can draw and fire on the pistol range and indoor range. I dont think you can draw and fire at the indoor range at TCGC.  I guess you could shoot and move on the pistol range provided you are the only one there.  On weekdays the range is pretty empty. On Thursdays the range closes to allow the long range shooters time to shoot. The range also closes in the morning on Tuesdays for range upkeep.

I also belonged to TCGC in the past but they have more rules and membership costs more. They do have better facilities but are also being surrounded by more and more housing developments.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I am thinking about heading up near estacada Monday to plink a bit with the suppressed .45 AR.   I need to see how long of legs it has.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
FYI Mamaloose is probably under a few feet of snow by now.. i know it was last weekend...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Douglas Ridge near Carver is pretty good. You can draw and fire on the pistol range and indoor range. I dont think you can draw and fire at the indoor range at TCGC.  I guess you could shoot and move on the pistol range provided you are the only one there.  On weekdays the range is pretty empty. On Thursdays the range closes to allow the long range shooters time to shoot. The range also closes in the morning on Tuesdays for range upkeep.

I also belonged to TCGC in the past but they have more rules and membership costs more. They do have better facilities but are also being surrounded by more and more housing developments.

TCGC only has the .22LR indoor range. No indoor pistol (aside from .22s)
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've sighted in rifles there at Estacada.   They seemed a bit tense to me, single loading autoloaders only and the rules on their .22 range.    A chat with one of the long time members kind of turned me off of that one.    He was bragging about getting someone kicked out for shooting their .22 too fast or something like that.     I can see safety rules but it seemed like they would not be black rifle friendly.  

If you ever want to shoot at Canby, send me a IM and we can make arrangements. Yes, the waiting list is a little long but worth the wait IMO. Just get your application in early, like right after the first of the year. You will need a club member to sponsor you also, let me know. Besides shooting priviledges, another benefit is the private Mollala River access for fishing.

Canby Rod and Gun Club
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Try the Mollala gun club they have a range out of Colton on  BLM land on the end of Hunter Rd. 100 yrd range and a new pistol range it is a small range but it was nice. I did a AR site in their about year and half ago and they where real nice people.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
FYI Mamaloose is probably under a few feet of snow by now.. i know it was last weekend...

I went up Friday night with my son to test out the .45  before he went to his mom's for christmas.   It was pretty icy.    I turned the Lincoln around about midway up the hill.   He got a few rounds out on one of the side pits but we were running out of daylight anyhow.    Very icy, I guess I'm going to have to wait till christmas to get some more trigger time

I wonder if the neighbors would complain about my shooting the .45 in the back yard.........  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Mr45auto, I hope you got your application to the CRGC in already. The membership just approved to add an additional 50 members last night at the Annual Meeting, bringing the total to 500 members. The waiting list is already over 100 applicants. We won't know how many additional members will be added until after the end of January, that's when dues must be paid.

Get that application filed, if you haven't done so already.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
No I didnt.   I was slammed with another year of graveyard shifts   Quite frankly I dont know that I'd go enough now to make it worth it this year.   I'm hoping it will change come Jan of next year.   I suppose a year long wait is about right for me now.    Wanna sponsor an applicant ?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No I didnt.   I was slammed with another year of graveyard shifts   Quite frankly I dont know that I'd go enough now to make it worth it this year.   I'm hoping it will change come Jan of next year.   I suppose a year long wait is about right for me now.    Wanna sponsor an applicant ?  

Mr45,

You're welcome to tag along or ask me to go with you to TCGC. I've been hitting it nearly every to every-other weekend to do various sighting ins, and practice.

That only thing that really bothers me about TCGC is their pistol range....I have trouble hitting "bullseye" at 25 yards. I need it a bit closer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#20]
At 25 yards you need a pistol designed by JMB
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
At 25 yards you need a pistol designed by JMB

That and maybe some actual skill. At 50 feet I can put .22LR pistol rounds into about 4-5". Of course, at 25 yards, that turns into 8-10". I can ALMOST get them all on the sheet of paper.

Then I look over at the guy with the tweaked 1911 who does tagret pistol...and is cutting a 2" ragged hole out of the center of the target.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm usually good for shotgun like patterns at that distance myself but they're all still in the center of the target.   I definitely do better with my .22s at that range too.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

IM sent with info for sponsorship...

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#24]
try the Molalla foothills, abotu half and hour from OC. Its BLM land afaik, and you can do anything you want with your guns up there
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
try the Molalla foothills, abotu half and hour from OC. Its BLM land afaik, and you can do anything you want with your guns up there

Where do you go off Sawtell or Mollala River Rd,? I used to shoot up there years ago but just about everything is gated.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you go off Sawtell or Mollala River Rd,? I used to shoot up there years ago but just about everything is gated.

I dont know about him but I usually go up Sawtell Rd, there's a split with a HUGE tree in the middle, take the left fork.   After a few miles there's another fork where the right side drops down, take that and straight ahead awhile you'll see another fork where it climbs a bit on the left and stays level on the right.   Take the right and it heads to a nice gravel pit.   Very little trash there, most folks clean up after themselves in that one and the OSP troopers that stop in have no problem with people shooting there as long as they pick up.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know about him but I usually go up Sawtell Rd, there's a split with a HUGE tree in the middle, take the left fork.   After a few miles there's another fork where the right side drops down, take that and straight ahead awhile you'll see another fork where it climbs a bit on the left and stays level on the right.   Take the right and it heads to a nice gravel pit.   Very little trash there, most folks clean up after themselves in that one and the OSP troopers that stop in have no problem with people shooting there as long as they pick up.  

hmm, I dont think thats the place i go to. Its in the recreation corridor, I dont know any road names. This place is a 100 yard gravel pit/brass graveyard. Every square inch is covered with shooting debris and it isnt unusual to see a couple torched car remains left there :o
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Thanks I'll have to check out the gravel pit, didn't know about that one.

Quoted:
hmm, I dont think thats the place i go to. Its in the recreation corridor, I dont know any road names. This place is a 100 yard gravel pit/brass graveyard. Every square inch is covered with shooting debris and it isnt unusual to see a couple torched car remains left there :o

I know the area pretty good, got directions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top