Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2013 9:32:30 AM EDT
My in laws have some property in Anderson County off Exit 122- don't think it is within Clinton city limits but I'm not sure.  

They said it would be OK to set up a range on their property.

This is an area where you will hear gunshots on Thanksgiving Day, etc. (people having fun target shooting).  But I wanted to know if anyone here knew of any regulations or ordinances on discharging firearms in Clinton or Anderson County.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't say for sure, but if you can find city code, I think you'll find that most every town of any size at all has prohibition on shooting firearms in city limits, but few if any counties do, they just rely on judgement calls on nuisance ordinances for doing it in middle of the night, next to churches in session,  etc.

Hell, Knoxville even has prohibition on shooting air rifles.

Chattanooga has been cited as an exception to the rule however, and sure enough there's no exact ordinance against it per se, (but the parameters in which you need to do it safely are such that few folks in the city limits would have a property setup  to comply), so couldn't say for sure.

Unfortunately, certainly not all city cops necessarily know all the city codes, but seems like this might be one that's straightforward enough you might could trust the answer?

Oh, and seems Anderson County surely doesn't since ORSA and the Norris Range (I think) are both in that county.

Edit: here's link to Clinton City Ordinances, didn't check it out 'cause I'm stuck on slow dialup for a week:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clintontn.net%2FCityOrdinace%2FOrdinaces.htm&ei=4bw7UpeYIOeh4APn_YGwCg&usg=AFQjCNGUS6jfdTxk6g5-aRqTMk41t7c4_Q&bvm=bv.52434380,d.dmg

- OS
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, yeah, found the Clinton ordinance online yesterday.  Just in case anyone needs to know, discharging firearms "by any unauthorized person" is a violation of city ordinance 11-603.  But they don't define what is an "unauthorized person".

Fortunately I found out my in-laws property is not within Clinton city limits.  So I started looking for any Anderson County ordinances, but can't find any so far.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, yeah, found the Clinton ordinance online yesterday.  Just in case anyone needs to know, discharging firearms "by any unauthorized person" is a violation of city ordinance 11-603.  But they don't define what is an "unauthorized person".

Fortunately I found out my in-laws property is not within Clinton city limits.  So I started looking for any Anderson County ordinances, but can't find any so far.
View Quote

How big is the city limit for Clinton anyway?  From Hammers to...umm....Hammers?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
My father in law has several acres just outside clinton off blockhouse valley. We shoot out there regularly andbhave never had an issue. Someone in the distance has a full auto of some variation. We here in every once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I also live just off of Blockhouse Valley Road, but I am in the city limits.  I am trying to find information about being able to shoot in the county for target practice.  At the end of Blockhouse Valley Road, is 260 acres owned by Anderson County.  Also, there is an old landfill out there as well.  Does anyone know if I can target practice on county owned land?  I know I can on TVA property as long as it is not posted otherwise, but I would like to use the county land too.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I also live just off of Blockhouse Valley Road, but I am in the city limits.  I am trying to find information about being able to shoot in the county for target practice.  At the end of Blockhouse Valley Road, is 260 acres owned by Anderson County.  Also, there is an old landfill out there as well.  Does anyone know if I can target practice on county owned land?  I know I can on TVA property as long as it is not posted otherwise, but I would like to use the county land too.

Thanks
View Quote

I would be willing to bet that you can not.

As to the OP's question on whether or not there are any county ordinances about shooting, I'm almost certain there are none that prohibit you from shooting on your property. I've lived in the Norris/Andersonville area all my life and never had a problem.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have not been able to find anything that says I can not discharge a firearm on public county owned land as long as it is more than 100 yards from a dwelling.  I would have thought if such a rule was on the books, I would have been able to find it.

Apparantely there is also a shooting range for the sherrif's department on the same piece of land but I would assume I can not use it.  It would be nice to find out that because of it being on tax payer owned land, that any tax payer can use it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Apparantely there is also a shooting range for the sherrif's department on the same piece of land but I would assume I can not use it.  It would be nice to find out that because of it being on tax payer owned land, that any tax payer can use it.
View Quote

Hahahaha.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have not been able to find anything that says I can not discharge a firearm on public county owned land as long as it is more than 100 yards from a dwelling.  I would have thought if such a rule was on the books, I would have been able to find it.

View Quote

Not sure where you currently shoot, but there is a range in the Norris watershed that only costs ~25 a year to gains full access to if i remember right. I've never personally used it, but I have some friends who do and they say when they go shoot up there that it's almost always just them. So if you're looking for a place to shoot that's semi close to where you live, you could give that a try. To get the key, you just go by the Norris police station and pay them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top