Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2006 7:43:22 AM EDT
I am a FNG when it comes to the "fun" stuff.

In a nutshell, what do I have to do to get a supressor for a .22?
What hoops do I jump thru, and what forms do I need, and what costs can I expect?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a bunch fo tacked threads in the NFA section. However....

Fingerprints, photos, LEO signoff, $200 tax, and cost of suppressor.

first, find what you want. If it's from a local SOT, they will help you get the form 4 started. If it's out of state, you will have to have it transferred to a dealer in state.

With the form 4, it's sort of like a 4473. however, the Form 4 requires a passport photo, and a LEO signoff. Some LEO's refuse to sign. That's where some people form an LLC instead. Also, you need fingerprints done. Overall wait times have dropped in the past few months.

I had no LEO problems. Took 5 minutes, ran a record check, and signed the papers. Form 4 took about 6 weeks to process.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
LEO in the county you reside? Or ANY LEO?
How about a LT with a Sherrif's dept? Or does it have to be the Sherrif, or Chief of Police?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
LEO in the county you reside? Or ANY LEO?
How about a LT with a Sherrif's dept? Or does it have to be the Sherrif, or Chief of Police?

Typically a chief, or someone with delegated authority. Can be a city police chief, or one of his LT's...Sherriff, or sometimes a deputy, or even a judge or DA. I beleive there is a listing on the form 4 of what is allowed. Most were signed by my sherriff. One was signed by his deputy, and another was signed by the city police chief.

There are multiple people who can sign. And if they all refuse, you can incorporate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks NAM....now I got some money saving to do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks NAM....now I got some money saving to do.

Yep... that's the hardest part. That, and checking the mailbox every day for 4-8 weeks. For the record, the form 4 goes to your dealer, so there's no need to check the mailbox. Unless of course you forgot to dot an i or cross a t. Then you get the paperwork back and start all over. lol....

but it's worth it.

My best suggestion is to do ti right the first time. Going through all that BS makes it pointless to buy garbage. Don't necessarily buy the most expensive or fancy thing, or the "coolest". Do some looking around, decide what YOU like the most, and get it.

If i could go back and change anything, i would have gotten a TAC-67. It's stainless, and alot easier to clean. I love my TAC-65, but for a few bucks more, my life coudl have been easier.

I'd also check out Lauer. I know they make several cans.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
To touch up on what Nam said; it has to be a Chief LE that has jurisdiction where you live.  So the LT would have to be able to authorize things for the chief/sheriff, of your city/county.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
To touch up on what Nam said; it has to be a Chief LE that has jurisdiction where you live.  So the LT would have to be able to authorize things for the chief/sheriff, of your city/county.

100% correct. You can't just flag down a patrol car and ask any old officer to sign off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Or look into the other options such as corp, llc, and trust and by pass the local yocal leo sign off. Of course there is a trade off, you have to do the leg work creating the corp, llc, and or trust and do everything that is required to maintain these entities.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Just checking... I think I've read a thread over on the SIG site about setting up a trust to own an silencer.  The trust doesn't need signatures or anything.  (How do you fingerprint a trust).
Found the thread
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
theres like 20 pages about using a trust in our own nfa forum too    using a trust
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I set up an LLC myself. So far it hasn't been any trouble at all keeping it current. Only down side was the initial $130 or so that I had to pay to set it up, but then it's only $25 a year to keep it going. They recently sent me a postcard in the mail and I had to fill out some stuff online to keep it current, but it wasn't any trouble.

I don't sell anything or make any money with my LLC, so that keeps it simple. If you start using it for business though, then it might become more of a hassle. I only use my LLC for "asset managment".

Another big advantage of an LLC, from what I understand, is that someone else in your family can use your NFA stuff for self defense and not get in trouble, as long as they are officially a member of the corp. But if you go the traditional route then only you can use the NFA stuff in a self defense situation, without getting in to trouble.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Having done it both the individual route and the corporate route, form a trust or LLC to do it. Much easier in the end and faster(the FBI background check is what eats up most of the time).
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Having done it both the individual route and the corporate route, form a trust or LLC to do it. Much easier in the end and faster(the FBI background check is what eats up most of the time).

My Uzi cleared in TWO WEEKS for an individual transfer!

Of course, the examiner was our very own NFA-Dan

Hey NAM, what county do you live in?

I've heard Waukesha County Sheriff will sign, what about the rest of southeast WI?  I knew nothing about Class 3 stuff when I lived up there, other than what was in the statutes.

FWIW, I was consuled to go the individual route with my NFA items, and I'm glad I did.  I own what I have, and I'll never have to worry about anything.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"home" is Washington, Dodge, and Columbia counties. However, I currently am stationed at, and had all NFA items transferred through Ward County, ND.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"home" is Washington, Dodge, and Columbia counties. However, I currently am stationed at, and had all NFA items transferred through Ward County, ND.

When I moved to Bismarck, I went to Marv's hardware in Mandan, they have a gun room.

I asked the owner, Bruce, what the gun laws were like in ND.

He looked at me and said "WHAT gun laws?!?!"  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
When I moved to Bismarck, I went to Marv's hardware in Mandan, they have a gun room.

I asked the owner, Bruce, what the gun laws were like in ND.

He looked at me and said "WHAT gun laws?!?!"  

That about sums it up! I went to the city chief to get my SBR papers signed, and his deputy tells me " i don't think there's a minimum for rifles.... i know there is for shotguns, but i don't think there is for rifles."

For the most part, if you mind your p's and q's, no one will bother you. However, everything's legal anyway, so there's not really anything to worry about.

I just wish ND's preemption was worded the same as WI's.  In ND, localities can pass more stringent laws recarding CARRYING of weapons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top