Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 12:18:35 PM EDT
I plan on heading over to Clark Creek/Tunica Hills area next weekend and have a little bit of confusion about the area. From what I understand Tunica Hills is in LA and is mainly the ATV trails that run through that WMA. Clark Creek is a state park in MS which is where the hiking trails are located. If anybody could clear this up I would appreciate it. I was also curious if concealed carry was a go in MS state parks. It just recently it became legal to carry in state parks here in LA, but I couldn't find anything on the status of MS. I plan to carry if possible, but I know Angola is also in the area. Are there any areas/trails that are off limits, or that I should just avoid while carrying? This will be my first time heading out to that area and I'll have a lady friend with me so any advice on shops/places to grab food in the area would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont know much about the areas you are going.  But CCW is okay in MS State Parks as long as one has a CCW.
I'm pretty sure MS and LA honor each others CCW.

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#2]
MS does in fact honor my CCW. Can anybody else confirm MS state park carry?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
There isn't much in the area as far as shopping and whatnot. Access to the trials are actually through Pond, MS IIRC. There is a neat old tyme general type store there in Pond near the entrance, or at least was years ago. If you go on the primative trial, its no joke; have water and plenty of it.

Here's a few pics I dug up from years ago;

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
How is the water there? I have a new Miniworks EX filter that I was thinking about taking to test out. Great pictures man.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't remember what time of year exactly we were there (I remember hot) or if it had been unusually dry, etc. I recall several dry or nearly dry creek beds, and then of course the little waterfalls. I think water would be filterable from one of the little pools around the falls. The stuff down lower in the creek beds was pretty silty/muddy. You could probably get by with it in a pinch, but not ideal.

I've been wanting to get back up that way, but its a little bit of a drive from the coast.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I in fact contacted the ranger office in Wiggins a year or so ago to specifically ask about CCW in National Forest in MS and it is good to go.
Ranger office in Wiggins, MS:  601-928-4422.
They are probably closed this Monday for Labor Day.
Contact them and see for yourself.

SMSP

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Didnt realize MS has such hills and such.  I have read a little about Clark Creek in the past.
Those pics definitely increase my interest!

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah the terrain is very un-Mississippi like. Plus, I forget the number of waterfalls in the area; 8 or 10 maybe. Its definitely an interesting hike.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I in fact contacted the ranger office in Wiggins a year or so ago to specifically ask about CCW in National Forest in MS and it is good to go.
Ranger office in Wiggins, MS:  601-928-4422.
They are probably closed this Monday for Labor Day.
Contact them and see for yourself.

SMSP

Ooops!    Just realized that Clark Creek Nature Area is part of MS Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks (MDWFP), NOT the National Forest system.

This really changes things then, because the CCW statue for MS states that your CCW is no good in 'parks'.  The statute does not clarify what a 'park' exactky IS.  Perhaps contacting the MS Wildelife, Fisheries and Parks Office would clear things up.

The following is from the MS stae statute pertaining to CCW:
SEC. 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.
(13)  No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.  In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."  No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a concealed pistol or revolver.

The MDWFP has Clark Creek listed under their State Parks list.

Additionally, from the MDWFP website's Rules & Regulations states:
M. FIREARMS, FIREWORKS AND EXPLOSIVES
1. No person other than those designated by the Executive Director of the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks shall carry or possess firearms, air guns, mace, or other such weapon within a park or on a state lake, except those on which hunting or target practice is permitted. (Check with individual park.)
2. No person shall bring into or have in the park or the property surrounding same any explosive substance, such as dynamite, firecrackers, rockets, or torpedoes without the written permission of the Executive Director or his designee.

I plan to contact MDWFP next week to find out and to see what they say.
I have plans to visit Clark Creek and Shepherd Park in Jackson County in the future, so I need to know as well.

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I also recall that we didn't see the first person on the primative trial besides us. However, on the "improved" trails it was very crowded. I remember being kind of surprised at the amount of foot traffic for such a way out spot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Just saw this post and thought I would reply. I have walked the primitive and improved trails and you do need to be ready for it, but even in my shape I did not have a problem. I just drank about a gallon of water when I got back to my truck. There are several geocaches, the gps based scavenger hunt, in the area and I have to get back in there sometime to find the new ones. I work the county with USDA and if you are looking for food and shopping Woodville is 20 miles east with a Texaco station that serves fried catfish and home style meals, Sonic, several other quick stops, a grocery store, and a couple of dollar stores. A few shops downtown. Natchez is 45 miles north and ST Francisville, LA is 30 miles south of Woodville. If you have time for sightseeing drive through FT Adams to the north along the Jackson Point Road. The road from Clark Creek to Fort Adams is impressive with the views from the ridge top and north of Fort Adams you can see some of the Mississippi River Delta the way it was before it was turned into cropland.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I contacted the MDWFP Law Enforcement Office in Jackson and the man I spoke to said CCW is good to go in State Parks and Recreation Areas.

SMSP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top