Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 3/25/2006 1:47:36 PM EDT
thinkin about movin to cincy pros and cons from any locals welcome.  Thanks (also if anyone knows of any job leads that would help 2 )
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun laws there suck donkey dick.  Live in the suburbs.  There is no other option.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
NO  PROS,  ONLY  CONS........STAY  FAR  FAR  AWAY !      
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to pick a major metropolitan area in the state of Ohio, Cincinnati is really your only option.  Yes, the CITY gun laws are ignorant, but so are those of every other metropolitan area in the state.  Cincinnati is not yet the liberal cesspool that Columbus, Toledo, & Cleveland are (not to mention Akron/Canton & Dayton) though I will admit it's on its way.

Stay out of the city limits and you're fine.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, first of all NOBODY lives in "Cincinnati".  That is, within the city limits.  Only elitists, and those uncapable of moving out of the sh1t their neiborhood has become, live within the city limits.  Occasionally the liberal inhabitants of the trendy enclaves will get mugged or murdered, and all buzz around like wild eyed sheep for a bit before settling back into their grazing routine, secure that the Police are going to protect them.  That is, in between joining occassionally in protest marches against the very same Police, because, you, know, the cops are all Racist Opressors.  Somehow, even the black and asian ones, go figure.

The Cincinnati Public Schools are a disaster, and have been for nearly 20 years (or longer).  Overpaid, iron fisted ruling unions are more concerned with keeping control of their fat retirement deal than in, say, educating the children in drug and gun free schools, with competent teachers.

Business flee downtown, because although there are quite a few blue chip companies with HQ's here, the workers drive in, work, and drive home, unwilling to spend time at lunch or after work tripping over the panhandlers or dodging the gangs of "youth".

And yet, by some miracle, not a dozen miles away in ANY direction, clean neighborhoods (of various and mixed ethnicities), safe and effective schools, sane traffic patterns (well, usually), and thousands of businesses providing hundreds of thousands of well-paying jobs can be found.  Go another dozen miles out radially, and you start to get into houses on more than a couple acres, at reasonable prices.  Another dozen or so miles, and you can buy a (small) farm, and still manage a commute to the suburbs.

As for job leads, I think that GE is looking for a Vice President of Information Technology for its worldwide aircraft engine business in Evendale.  Is that up your alley?  I mean, you did not specify a field, or your general experience.  Just trying to be helpful...

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay, first of all NOBODY lives in "Cincinnati".  That is, within the city limits.

Easy now!    

So am I an elitist or uncapable of moving?

I moved back here after a little over 4 years in Columbus.

Holding down the fort inside the city limits

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay, first of all NOBODY lives in "Cincinnati".  That is, within the city limits.

Easy now!    

So am I an elitist or uncapable of moving?

I moved back here after a little over 4 years in Columbus.

Holding down the fort inside the city limits

He's got a sock full of quarter and a wiffle ball bat, everything else is illegal
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Cincy Style double tap  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He's got a sock full of quarter and a wiffle ball bat, everything else is illegal

nah we're allowed at least wooden bats  

Honestly the Cincinnati 'ban' looks like the old Columbus ban (ColumbusCincinnati style) that was declared unconstitutional... I'll admit it now I've got an 870 that would hold over the limit if I used the little undersized shells if they worked in it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#9]
okay, present company excluded.  Actually I wrote that all out, then did a lot of editing to clean it up for the PC crowd.  I could have used a little spelling check too.

Clearly, there are good people in any city (city limits I should say).  Its just that more and more major and intermediate sized cities have become large ghettos (in the original European meaning) of balkanized neighborhoods, pandered to by alleged community leaders and politicians who are only interested in solving short term problems with cash, to ensure their next re-election.  

Eventually the folks who try to keep the soul of a city intact, the ones who know how to plan long term, get tired of tying to hold back the tide and move out too.  

On the other hand, anybody can find a niche where they can prosper.  TZ99, you have obviously found a situation you can live with.  Just because I described 95% of Cincinnati does not mean the remaining 5% are not happy with their situation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Urban living is NOT for me. If it weren't for my wife, I'd live in the sticks.  As it is, we compromised by buying in an older (no god damned HOA Nazis) subdivision in an unincorporated area between Troy and Tipp.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
It kinda sucks even living in the suburbs because if you have Cincinnati in your address some dealers will not ship higher cap mags to you even though you do not live within the city limits.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top