Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 3:11:38 AM EDT
My daughter, who lives with her mom right now, is considering several universities. On the short list is CNU.

Does anyone know the deal on CNU? We drove up there and looked around, and it sure looks nice. I've checked out their website, but I'd like to hear from people who went or know someone who has, as to just how good a school is it? Quality of instruction, how safe it is, would you rather have gone somewhere else, if you did go somewhere else why? That sort of thing.

It's not like I'm expecting Harvard at the prices they're charging, but obviously I don't want my daughter going to some flea-bag dump either.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:49:56 AM EDT
high crime area. My wife got her degree from there a few years back. I'd recommend ODU (full disclosure:I'm a CS student at ODU) over CNU any day for quality of instruction.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:43:23 PM EDT

My wife got a degree in Elementary Education from Christopher Newport College in 1991, before their conversion to a university. Some time ago, former VA Senator Paul Trible became the school's president, and they've been expanding their facilities greatly since then. I'm afraid my wife's experience has little relevance to CNU as it exists today.

About 4 years ago, I moved from Newport News. I lived about 10 minutes from CNU. I've never considered that area a high crime area.

Does your daughter have an idea of a particular major? Someone might have more specific input.

Good luck.

Mark

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:39:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By joshki:
high crime area

I live only a few miles away, it's not a high crime area as far as I'm concerned.

The school has come a very long way since Paul Trible came to town. He's a good man.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:29:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By joshki:
high crime area. My wife got her degree from there a few years back. I'd recommend ODU (full disclosure:I'm a CS student at ODU) over CNU any day for quality of instruction.

ODU ain't exactly in Beverly Hills either. My buddy had a house on 42nd Street when I was stationed at Langley, and I saw shoes hanging from power lines and gang tags just a couple blocks away from the dorms. We were playing Frisbee in the street once right about dusk and heard gunshots pretty close.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:42:57 PM EDT
It's small and therefore you know almost everyone there. The people I knew who went there didn't like how everyone knew everyone there and the lack of "social events". They compared it to high school over again. But that's just from a few people.

I'm used to the vast numbers here at VT.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:16:49 PM EDT
I know several other parents' who's children went there and they were pleased. Didn't hear anything about crime other than some vandalism.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:19:03 PM EDT
My sister is currently a Junior there and is quite happy. Hasn't said that she wants her shotty or her pistol down there. If you would like I would be happy to ask my sister to write any of you if you have questions.

John
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2005 5:05:25 PM EDT by DSOTM518]
I live a few minutes away from there. I wouldn't consider it high crime either, but there is some. I did have my car broken into a couple weeks ago in front of my apartment and had some stuff stolen. Now I keep my alarm armed and AR ready to roll. I had a friend that went to CNU and he didn't mind it much.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:57:13 AM EDT
Thanks everyone. Sounds as good as any other place she's interested in going. It's her decision on where to go. It just has to pass the obvious safety/secuity/quality test before I take a crowbar to the wallet and cough up the money.

CNU is a "pass" on my test.

She has several others that we'll be looking at as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:59:54 PM EDT
Cool. What others? What does she want to go to school for?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:33:57 AM EDT
She wants to be an English major and teach school and write. Don't ask me where she got that from. When I was her age I just wanted to blow shit up.

Anyway, she's at Bremerton, WA with the Ex-wife and she likes it out here because her friends are still out here, and she grew up here. If she goes to CNU, she'd likely stay here with me.

She may stay in the WA area and go to somehwere "far enough away form mom, but close enough too" which results in Central Washington University. Even if her mom PCS's, her grandparents are still in Bremerton, so at least family is about. I'll probably visit out there early next year, and we'll check out that place as well.

The third on the short list is San Jose State University in San Jose, CA. That's where I went. There's a bunch of family there still and she'd live with one of them. We visited there as well, and I showed her around. It's huge compared to CNU, and it has it's own problems, but it's a good school and not a bad way to get a higher education. It's not like I'm going to live there, so I don't care if she has to put up with CA laws.

I had no idea what CNU was, and figured she was just wanting to go there because her best friend is going there. After looking it over, it seemed pretty good, so that's why the questions.

It's up to her where she goes. She's the one that has to do the schoolwork. I'm just paying a bunch for it. When we were living in FL, we did the pre-pay college thing, so if she went ot a FL school it would basically be free. She doesn't really want to, and really no one is resisting that. Since all the priciple payed in comes back out, that money would pay for SJSU as well (since it's a cheap place to go). CNU will require some more funding, so that's a concern, but not a big one as it's not that expensive. I'd like to have her here certainly, so I don't mind figuring out how to pay the extra over SJSU. She's getting scholarships, so funding shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have two others to put through as well, so funding does matter, but CNU is within reach.

Like most kids her age, she'll change her mind a thousand times before it's all said and done. It's her life, so she has to figure it out.
Top Top