Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/6/2010 3:35:37 PM EDT
I have held a Fla Non-Res chl for several years due to the fact that they are pretty lenient with vets . I now have a chance to take a Texas class.

The Fla CHL does not say anything about what you can carry as far as revolver Vs. SA,, what would happen if I did the Texas class and qualled with a wheel gun? Would I then be unable to carry a SA even with my Fla. CHL? Would anyone really care?
Thanks

SS
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 7:46:14 PM EDT by AJSully421]
Originally Posted By Seastate:
I have held a Fla Non-Res chl for several years due to the fact that they are pretty lenient with vets . I now have a chance to take a Texas class.

The Fla CHL does not say anything about what you can carry as far as revolver Vs. SA,, what would happen if I did the Texas class and qualled with a wheel gun? Would I then be unable to carry a SA even with my Fla. CHL? Would anyone really care?
Thanks

SS

There would be no problem with you carrying a SA gun with your Florida CHL... but a Texas CHL is tied to your DL and some officer could use it as a fishing expedition to cause you some trouble if you were carrying a SA with a NSA designation on your Texas CHL.

Qualify with a SA and don't worry about it. Borrow some buddy's 9mm or something. Most good instructors have an extra pistol or two in case someone's folds up, or brings a revolver and wants to carry a SA also, so that may be an option.

If you are in the Fort Worth area you can borrow a Glock 17/19, sig 226 9mm, or beretta M9 from me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:38:05 PM EDT
Thanks Sully, I have 3 .45s but just don't want to shoot up my stash. I have hundreds of reloaded .357 and .38 . I just went and bought 2 boxes of .45 for damn near 50 bucks. SS
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:36 PM EDT
Thanks Sully, I have 3 .45s but just don't want to shoot up my stash. I have hundreds of reloaded .357 and .38 . I just went and bought 2 boxes of .45 for damn near 50 bucks. SS

The Texas CHL qual is only 50 rounds. Go buy some WWB and go for it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:18:16 AM EDT
I think it is rather silly to qualify with a revolver as it limits options for carry. The only time I could see that qualifying with a revolver would be the way to go would be either an infrequent shooter that only owns a revolver or somebody with limited hand range of motion like arthritis.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:10:35 AM EDT
I loan my students my glock 17 and we do a few rounds of practice just to make sure they qualify SA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:11:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 10:15:28 AM EDT by Seastate]
nevermind
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:00:42 AM EDT

Thanks

SS

I do not know how DPS would react if an affidavit were filed to revoke your Texas CHL if someone caught you carrying the semi-auto. I also have no idea how a court case would go if you were filed on for UCW. I THINK the UCW would not fly.

If you want my OPINION on qualifying with a revolver I'll wait for that thread. ;)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:30:10 PM EDT
I have decided to Qual with a SA just to give myself the flexibility. Thanks to everyone that responded to the thread.SS
Top Top