Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 3:35:37 PM EDT
I have held a Fla Non-Res chl for several years due to the fact that they are pretty lenient with vets . I now have a chance to take a Texas class.

The Fla CHL does not say anything about what you can carry as far as revolver Vs. SA,, what would happen if I did the Texas class and qualled with a wheel gun? Would I then be unable to carry a SA even with my Fla. CHL? Would anyone really care?
Thanks

SS
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have held a Fla Non-Res chl for several years due to the fact that they are pretty lenient with vets . I now have a chance to take a Texas class.

The Fla CHL does not say anything about what you can carry as far as revolver Vs. SA,, what would happen if I did the Texas class and qualled with a wheel gun? Would I then be unable to carry a SA even with my Fla. CHL? Would anyone really care?
Thanks

SS

There would be no problem with you carrying a SA gun with your Florida CHL... but a Texas CHL is tied to your DL and some officer could use it as a fishing expedition to cause you some trouble if you were carrying a SA with a NSA designation on your Texas CHL.

Qualify with a SA and don't worry about it.  Borrow some buddy's 9mm or something.  Most good instructors have an extra pistol or two in case someone's folds up, or brings a revolver and wants to carry a SA also, so that may be an option.

If you are in the Fort Worth area you can borrow a Glock 17/19, sig 226 9mm, or beretta M9 from me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Sully, I have 3 .45s but just don't want to shoot up my stash. I have hundreds of reloaded .357 and .38 . I just went and bought 2 boxes of .45 for damn near 50 bucks. SS
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks Sully, I have 3 .45s but just don't want to shoot up my stash. I have hundreds of reloaded .357 and .38 . I just went and bought 2 boxes of .45 for damn near 50 bucks. SS

The Texas CHL qual is only 50 rounds.  Go buy some WWB and go for it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it is rather silly to qualify with a revolver as it limits options for carry.  The only time I could see that qualifying with a revolver would be the way to go would be either an infrequent shooter that only owns a revolver or somebody with limited hand range of motion like arthritis.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I loan my students my glock 17 and we do a few rounds of practice just to make sure they qualify SA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]
nevermind
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks

SS

I do not know how DPS would react if an affidavit were filed to revoke your Texas CHL if someone caught you carrying the semi-auto.  I also have no idea how a court case would go if you were filed on for UCW.  I THINK the UCW would not fly.

If you want my OPINION on qualifying with a revolver I'll wait for that thread.  ;)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I have decided to Qual with a SA just to give myself the flexibility.  Thanks to everyone that responded to the thread.SS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top