Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 10:30:28 AM EST
I'm sure I don't need to remind everyone to watch their kids around water.

Sunday afternoon while my wife and I were doing yardwork an air ambulance landed on the street behind ours. My wife diecided to walk over there to see what was happening. She saw a two year old girl being wheeled from the house to the helicopter. They were performing CPR on her. The child was pronounced dead at the hospital. The child had been in the pool for 20 minutes. Mom had gone upstairs to do something and the child had opened the arcadia door to the backyard and unfenced pool.

Very sad.

Yet at the same time it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:56:58 AM EST
20 Minutes is way to long to leave a 2 year old unattended. With or without a pool.

Pisses me off as well
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:32:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:51:27 AM EST
I agree somebody should be held responsible, But don't tell me to put a fence around my pool because somebody else can't keep an eye on their kid.

I believe Phoenix has fence laws, But maybe like our rifles this was a PRE-BAN house and pool.

Originally Posted By SinistralRifleman:
50 Kids a year drown in the Phoenix Area in pools....no laws are passed, no one held responsible criminally for it.

On average one person a year was killed in random gun fire, and they pass Shannon's Law making random gun fire a felony....

We hear all these things about mandatory trigger lock laws, where are the cries for mandatory pool fencing?
Just proof to me the leftists don't care about saving lives, just about their political agenda. Or perhaps because the easily avoidable accidents that kill so many people every year are so common no one cares.

Parents should be charged with criminal negligence if their kid drowns.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:33:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:10:59 PM EST
I thought more about it and figured that is what you meant. As far as enforcing the law it was probably built before the law went into effect and therefore does not apply.

All in all it is a sad situation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:36:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 5:37:49 PM EST by markm]
Yes. There's some dumb bitch here in Mesa Who let her kid wander to a neighbor's pool and Die.

Now she wants Fences to be required on everyone's pool. Indeed TYPICAL WEAK MINDED LEFTIST logic. Of course it wasn't this Dumb Slut's fault! It was the lack of a POOL FENCE LAW.

I'd like to slap the bitch silly.

I have a little man, and there's NO FUCKING WAY HE COULD GET OFF THE PROPERTY WITHOUT ME KNOWING IT.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:04:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By markm:
Yes. There's some dumb bitch here in Mesa Who let her kid wander to a neighbor's pool and Die.

Now she wants Fences to be required on everyone's pool. Indeed TYPICAL WEAK MINDED LEFTIST logic. Of course it wasn't this Dumb Slut's fault! It was the lack of a POOL FENCE LAW.

I'd like to slap the bitch silly.

I have a little man, and there's NO FUCKING WAY HE COULD GET OFF THE PROPERTY WITHOUT ME KNOWING IT.

You sir, are fooling yourself. As the father of 3 that are now all grown except the 15 year old youngest one, I can tell you with a fair degree of certainty that they can be gone in the blink of an eye. If you don't have them on a tether, they can and will disappear from under your nose in a nanosecond. Sometimes even faster than that.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:06:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 2:06:46 PM EST by The_Macallan]

If I really think about it, trying to imagine what a two-year old experiences as they frantically drown - all alone - a part of me dies inside.

Watch your kids at ALL times. Check the doors. If they are out of your site for just 10 seconds, they CAN be out of the house, across the street or at the bottom of the pool.

Put up pool fences with self-latching gates REGARDLESS of what the law says.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:29:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By SinistralRifleman:
50 Kids a year drown in the Phoenix Area in pools....no laws are passed, no one held responsible criminally for it.

On average one person a year was killed in random gun fire, and they pass Shannon's Law making random gun fire a felony....

We hear all these things about mandatory trigger lock laws, where are the cries for mandatory pool fencing?

Just proof to me the leftists don't care about saving lives, just about their political agenda. Or perhaps because the easily avoidable accidents that kill so many people every year are so common no one cares.

Parents should be charged with criminal negligence if their kid drowns.

Maybe the liberals are really aiming at banning all guns and eventually all freedom. It sure as hell isn't about saving lives since more kids die from accidental food poisoning than accidental shootings too!

Mandatory fencing laws are gay-er than prom night in San Francisco. It is another invasion of personal freedom. If people who can't control their kids won't put a fence up on their own, then they are the same parents who let'em bake in a store parking lot, drink drano, ride on the back of the motorcycle without a helmet... stupid people happen. Natural selection exists to combat that.

Same reason it might be good to drop thousands of Lorcin pistols all over the ghetto with vials of crack attached.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:15:45 PM EST
tfod,
Man, you're cold. A man after my own heart, but kids can cover great distances in a short amount of time. Fences around pools are a good idea.

As far as natural selection, we are weakening ourselves by protecting organisms originating fron the shallow end of the gene pool.

carry on,
Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:20:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 4:22:55 PM EST by tfod]
I'm not cold. Letting your kid drown is cold. Kids can drown in a bathtub, as easy as a pool. Given the choice I'd rather be shot than drown. Drowning is a great strugle with greater agony. Even if the child can be revived the damage to brain tissue may last forever.

If you aren't watching young kids they are either breaking something or doing something that could get them killed. Fences around pools are great ideas. It is an incredible idea. I would not have a pool and have kids without a fence around it.

Passing a law making everyone have a fence around their pools is further encroachment on our private lives. It is also not going to do much for a child in the other areas of unsafe parenting. Next the whining mommies are gonna pass a law I can't keep paperclips in a room that has electric outlets. Hell, I'll have to put a padlock on my barbeque because some jack ass's (pun intended) kid layed down on a barbeque and lit himself on fire.

This house is child unsafe Still in favor of the Lorcin/ crack vial idea.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:00:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 5:00:57 PM EST by AZ_newguy]
tfod,
I hear ya. It is gov encroachment, but so aren't building codes. Let's see, a hole in the ground filled with water, common sense says put up a barrier. Yeah, gov has to mandate common sense to idiots who have none. It stems from my comment about the shallow end of the gene pool.

Oh, no arguement from me about the .25 and any hard drug of choice. Natural selection, lets not interfere with the processMike
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:49:50 PM EST
Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:28:00 PM EST
Innocent Bystander,
Sad story. Good reminder. Thanks.
Top Top