Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 11:03:22 AM EDT
Hey guys,
I been searching for a job in the Charlotte NC and Greenville SC areas.  I'm still hoping for one of the two but I just learned about an opportunity in Charleston SC.  What do you guys think of the area?  How are the gun laws?  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Two ranges near Charleston in the National Forest.  CC available if you take the class.  Great area lots of pretty women and beaches.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Charleston gun laws aren't any different than the rest of SC, which is pretty good.  Concealed carry, Class III, etc...etc...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
most gun dealers here suck though
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the very least I can bring my guns along     My wife and I are not looking to move quite that far away but it is still a possibility.  Honestly, I think it would be hard for me to leave the mountains altogether.  Thats one reason we were looking in the Piedmont area.  Also, it makes the drive back home a little more reasonable.

How is crime and housing cost in the Charleston SC?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
most gun dealers here suck though

True that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sounds like the very least I can bring my guns along     My wife and I are not looking to move quite that far away but it is still a possibility.  Honestly, I think it would be hard for me to leave the mountains altogether.  Thats one reason we were looking in the Piedmont area.  Also, it makes the drive back home a little more reasonable.

How is crime and housing cost in the Charleston SC?

Crime is bad in a few areas primarily downtown near the Hwy 17 Bridge and a few areas in North Charleston.  Housing costs are high.  Some areas, Mt. Pleasant and Daniel Island, are very high.  Summerville is more reasonable but the commute can be bad.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
i live in summerville. it is a great area. go a little further out on 17a into the cottageville and walterboro area if you want country living. got goose creek too, ive lived there and its not to bad. it just depends on where you will be working in charleston as to where you will want to live.

alot of jobs listed as "charleston" are really north charleston or one of the surrounding towns.

there are no good gunstores in the area that i have found. When i was living in walterboro i did all my shooting in my backyard, but now that im "the city" of summerville i drive the 30 or so miles to the boggy head range in monks corner. state range in francis marion national park and i like it alot.

I would not live in charleston itself, its worth the drive to live in one of the surrounding areas. i use to make a 35 or so mile drive to work so i dont mind the drives. YMMV.

BTW, if you decide on summerville i work at a nice apartment complex if you need to stay somewhere before you get a house.  just give me a msg for some more info if you would like.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
where do ya work lego? i live behind wal mart on main st.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
churchill commons. on trolley rd. you live in the traditions? that new one they built? i think my company might own that, but im not sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to look closer at the job offer.  Everyone I been talking to seems to love the area.  I realize visiting is different than living but all of you guys seem to be quite happy there.

Good gun shops is one things that I would not be missing.  Very little military style arms and accessories being sold here and the ones that you do see are grossly overpriced.  Most all of my stuff is mail order.

Legonas, I will give you a shout if we do end up down that way.  Where ever we go I plan on renting a 6month to a year to make sure we like the area first.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
churchill commons. on trolley rd. you live in the traditions? that new one they built? i think my company might own that, but im not sure.

yeppers..im out of SC in 15 days though
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Pluses:

Mild climate.  We don't get a hard winter here.  The past couple of weeks the daytims temps have been in the 70s.

A person with some education and skills can usually do pretty well here.  SC is not exactly the educational mecca of the country.

Lots of touristy stuff.  The beach/ocean, historical stuff, etc.

Most people are pretty decent.

Negatives:

Mild climate.  I'm one of those odd folks who likes four distinct seasons, including winter.

The drivers around here are idiots.

It's flat here.  The nearest mountains are a couple hundred miles away.

Overall, it's not a bad place to live.  As noted above, the surrounding communities (Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner) are better places to actually reside.  The area is growing quite a bit.  Goose Creek built a new city hall, and some folks laughed because it's outside of town.  However, they figure in ten years that will be the middle of the town.

Gun laws are pretty good.  Class III friendly (although I don't have a Class III budget).  The CWP requires a one-day class and 90 day waiting period.  As mentioned, there are a couple of public 100-yard ranges in the Frances Marion Forest.  A couple of the gun shops have indoor ranges.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

BTW, I live just outside of Summerville.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]
dude, this aint flat.

come to west texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top