Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/16/2005 10:05:44 AM EDT
Was looking into the SA-XD .40 to 9mm conversion barrels that allow you to shoot 9mm ammo in the .40 cal gun.

Since NYS licenses include the caliber of each weapon, does that make it illegal to make such a conversion?

Also, off topic a bit, but related to matters of legality, what about using magazines for other calibers? They say that the .357 sig and .40 cal magazines for the XD are the same, but with different floorplates labeled for each. Could you get in trouble for using a different magazine?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:36:11 AM EDT
hmm. never thought about that when I got the conversion for my beretta
but I don't think it would be anything to worry about as long as the part that is legally considered a firearm (usually the lower frame on a handgun, although I think the Ruger Mk2's upper is the receiver for legal purposes) was registered on your permit you'd be ok.
I never heard of my dad having to register each separate barrel for his Contender
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:09:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:20:26 PM EDT
I had this same issue with a SIG 229. Purchased it in 40 cal and later purchased a 357 sig cal barrel. I went to the sherrifs office and they just added the caliber to the pistol so that the registration reads
SIG P229 Ser # Cal. 40S&w, 357 Sig

Call your local pistol permit bearue and ask them. Explain what you would like to do and I am sure they will help you. I know some counties have different laws.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:31:15 PM EDT
Some counties will list caliber as 'Multi' in the case of multiple barrels or calibers. My Dutchess permit will do Multi or list any calibers I listed on the app., Chenango and Otsego also.

Westchester won't do 'multi', they specify each caliber and charge an ammendment fee if you don't make the change when adding or selling a gun.

Magazine designation means nothing so long as it complies with the NYS AWB.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:12:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NY-EMT:

Magazine designation means nothing so long as it complies with the NYS AWB.

But what about putting one caliber round in a magazine designed for a specific quantity of another caliber? The magazine may still be of legal capacity but now you can fit more rounds into it, technically, without modifying the magazine at all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:48:23 AM EDT
Not being an expert on NYS law, however commonsense would dictate that if you were found to have, for example, 12 rounds of 9mm in a .40sw 10 round mag in your XD during a self-defense shooting, that would be a violation according to NYS.

So, if this question is relevant to a defensive firearm, you should stick with the original .40sw caliber and benefit from the higher power of a Speer Gold Dot 155gr 490ftlb pill.

If you are intending to lower your cost of range shooting by changing to the 9mm barrel, that is fine also. Don't mix the 2 scenarios though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:18:16 AM EDT
I have a G33 which is 357 sig and it came with a 40cal conversion barrel.

When I went to Pistol Permit section they only listed it has a 357sig...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:36:33 PM EDT
In NYC, this is a real issue. I haven't bought a .22 kit for my Beretta because it would be illegal to possess .22 caliber ammo since I don't have a .22 caliber firearm listed on my permit.
Top Top