Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/21/2014 5:29:16 PM EDT
I moved recently, and went into the Sheriff's to update the address on my carry permit. The lady informed me that I did not need to update it, as it was good until expiration, regardless of address listed.

I know that the address on my license has to be correct when filling out the 4473 for a firearms transfer, I assumed my carry permit had to have current address also. Any one know if I do need to update it before I buy any more guns?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:48:40 PM EDT
I haven't updated mine and just bought a CMMG AR a few weeks ago, FFL didn't bat an eye
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:51:04 PM EDT
Sounds good. I've got a lower I need to pick up, so wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any hassle when I get it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:32:45 AM EDT
You're good.  Same with permits to acquire.  Kinid of odd, but not complaining.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:17:32 AM EDT
I checked with my county sheriff and you do not need to get a new permit with an address change.  I did because it allowed me to get a hard card instead of the paper, so it was worth it to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:32:41 AM EDT
I've had training schools require a ID and permit with matching addresses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:18:04 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheMirage:
View Quote

On the plus side, if I do need to update it for something like that, Dallas County Sheriff's department is maybe a mile from my house.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:16:07 AM EDT

View Quote
I am curious why a school would require a permit?  Did they give any justification?

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:36:46 PM EDT
My experience with some FFL dealers has been that if the address on 4473 does not match the permit, you must provide another 'proof of residence' issued by a government entity that shows the address you list on the 4473, something like a Drivers License or Vehicle Registration. Sportsmen's in Ankeny is one place that I ran into this issue. My DL was not updated to the new address and I listed the new address on the 4473. Obviously the permit also had the old address, walked away empty handed that evening.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:29:00 AM EDT
IIRC correctly the Iowa DOT says you only have 30-45 days to update your DL to a new address. It was a lousy rule change a few years ago...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cargo:
I am curious why a school would require a permit?  Did they give any justification?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cargo:

It's used as a way to vet people before training.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:24:38 AM EDT
I had problems with Scheels in Mankato MN while buying a gun after moving. I was told I didn't need to get a new license when I moved since it was due for renewal at the end of the year and when I went to buy a gun they wouldn't sell it to me because I wrote my new address on the 4473 and still had the old one on my DL.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top