Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2011 6:00:31 PM EDT
Got this in an e-mail from Alice Tripp with the TSRA.

Senate moves to change gun permit rules

By Lee Davidson

The Salt Lake Tribune

First published Jan 28 2011 02:37PM

Updated Jan 29, 2011 12:09AM

Out-of-state gun owners who seek a Utah concealed-weapon permit - which is popular because it is recognized by most states - may soon first need to obtain a permit from their home state, if available.

The Senate voted 28-0 on Friday to give preliminary approval to SB34, which would make the change. A final vote is expected next week.

Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, the bill's sponsor, said the Utah permit is popular because it is recognized by 33 other states - the most of any state permit - so owners can carry guns in most places nationally with just that one certificate.

But he said states such as Nevada and New Mexico recently quit recognizing Utah permits. He said they claim that is out of concern that Utah permits do not require any measure of shooting proficiency, but he said the states actually appear upset that their own residents often apply only for a Utah license without also obtaining a local one.

Valentine said the bill would give states control over their own residents, help ensure that Utah permits are still recognized by potentially jealous states, and help Utah residents by ensuring their permits will be recognized more widely.

Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, said, "Guns are always an easy target, if you will, for people to pick on. But this is well thought-out. It's an important issue."

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
And to think..I got an email recently from the gun show about the next one in town and they were advertising this chl class with utah license...it did get all curious and I was planning to attend the show in feb to check out more info on the class.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Journalism fails again... this is SB 36... not 34.  

Dumb ass reporters never care to get the facts right.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that's worse than the Utah SB to eliminate permitting entirely. At least with that one, the Utah residents don't have to jump thru hoops anymore.

I'm glad I have my TX CHL. Aside from not going thru the NICS check, it may serve as your voter ID soon as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I just sent off for my Texas renewal today, good for another 5 more years, at the next renewal it will be good for 10 years.

I also just received in the mail a Pennsylvania CHL, which is easy to obtain just fill out a form and send a copy of your Texas CHL, driver's license, and a check for $26. It doesnt add a new states that I'm aware of, but I got it because I heard it had a quick turn around time and my Texas CHL expires in a few weeks.

I've been meaning to pick up a Utah one also for the extra state's but there isnt anyone around Corpus that I'm aware of that is an instructor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just sent off for my Texas renewal today, good for another 5 more years, at the next renewal it will be good for 10 years.
 You will still have to renew every 5 years.  You just will only need the class every 10 years.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will still have to renew every 5 years.  You just will only need the class every 10 years.  

Mine expires in Nov. and will be my 5th renewal. How is this going to go down this time around?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine expires in Nov. and will be my 5th renewal. How is this going to go down this time around?  

You should not have to take the class. All you will need to do is renew online.  Pay the fee, do the online application and do your affidavits online.  Be sure you call DPS to see if they have any specific instructions for you.  

Enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top