Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 10:23:09 AM EDT
This is from the front page of www.packing.org.

The reciprocity agreement between Arizona and Utah will end October 25, 2005. The Utah permit will continue to be recognized in Arizona under a separate statute but Arizona residents will no longer be able to carry in Arizona on the Utah permit.

This was done because people wanted to take the much shorter UT class instead of the longer AZ class.  In addition, UT will give a license to a convicted felon who had the conviction expunged, vacated, or set aside-- AZ bans felons for life.

Here's a text of a letter sent out regarding the issue:

The CCW permit reciprocal agreement with Utah will be cancelled effective October 25th, 2005. Arizona residents currently carrying concealed weapons in Arizona with a Utah permit are encouraged to obtain an Arizona permit. Once the agreement is cancelled, Arizona residents are subject to arrest if found carrying concealed weapons using a Utah permit.

The Utah permit will be recognized in Arizona if held by a non-Arizona resident pursuant to ARS 13-3112.V.

This agreement is being cancelled because Utah CCW permit training is no longer considered "substantially similar" as required by statute (ARS 13-3112.U), Utah has issued permits to Arizona residents who were denied an Arizona permit and Arizona residents are obtaining Utah permits to carry concealed weapons in Arizona, bypassing training requirements on Arizona firearms and use of deadly force laws. Please note that the Utah and Arizona permit licensing units continue to enjoy an excellent working relationship.

Respectfully,

Detective Russ Hamilton
Supervisor
AZ DPS Concealed Weapon Permit Unit
(602) 256-6280
(602) 223-2708
(800) 256-6280 (In Arizona only)
(602) 223-2928 Fax

FYI,

Mike
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't really sound as if the full reciprocity is being dropped, Utah residents with a valid Utah CCW are still allowed to visit AZ and carry concealed legally.  It sounds as if they're making it illegal for AZ residents to carry legally with a Utah permit, which is understandable as some AZ residents are getting Utah permits as a way to circumvent AZ permit law.  In other words, a loophole in the AZ permit law has been closed.

At least that's the way I read it, am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Doesn't really sound as if the full reciprocity is being dropped, Utah residents with a valid Utah CCW are still allowed to visit AZ and carry concealed legally.  It sounds as if they're making it illegal for AZ residents to carry legally with a Utah permit, which is understandable as some AZ residents are getting Utah permits as a way to circumvent AZ permit law.  In other words, a loophole in the AZ permit law has been closed.

At least that's the way I read it, am I missing something?

It technically is an agreement drop, but in the end the reciprocity remains through a statute.  (Splitting hairs, I know.  That's why I used "dropped" in quotes in the thread title.)

Yeah, just a loophole closure in the end.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to read it more than once...so this is a change for the state of Arizona, not for the state of Utah.  And as such, I can still carry in Utah using my Arizona CCW...uh...probably time to go recheck Utah web  sites again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top