Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2015 10:54:29 AM EDT
Probably a long shot, but is anyone aware of a reputable place in the Waco area that does cerakote? Its an NFA item and I'd rather not ship it if possible.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
There are no factory authorized places that I could find (I live in Whitney). I just sent some stuff to Green Dragon Guns in Louisiana. He's very reasonable and a friend had some stuff done there and it's good work.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to look it up again,  but I think there is a place on loop 340 that does it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to search some more...guess it was a different coating I was looking at before.  Closest one show Midliothian...soon in Georgetown.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
No luck.  Wasn't sure what I seen before.  You may call Unique Guns and see if they know any one.  number is  3 hundred- fifty 8 ten.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
any reason that you do not just do it yourself?

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any reason that you do not just do it yourself?

View Quote

Considered it. I would do the air dry method and haven't looked into the durability of air dry vs baked on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not sure what you plan is.

But I used Norrell's Molly Resin and the results were impressive.
I coated a RRA lower with the grayish-black to match an USGI A1 upper, and the colormatch was perfect.
I did this 10yrs ago and the finish is still perfect after several cleanings and range trips.

I have never used Cerakote, but I believe the process is similar.

here is a recent photo of my 10y/o moly-resin job:
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks great. Air dry or heat cure?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Jason Armstrong of Hammerdown sports does cerakote.  I know of him but haven't had or known anyone who's had work done by him.  

http://Hammerdownsports.com
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks great. Air dry or heat cure?
View Quote

Heat cured. First time I ever tried anything like that. No horrible smell or anything.

It was actually pretty easy. I used a modelers airbrush kit from Hobby lobby to apply it.
The trick is to make sure items are squeaky clean and follow the directions and use an oven thermometer and not rely on the oven thermostat.

The Cerakote appears to be a similar product.

I have used the left-over moly resin on other (non-gun related) projects since then.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We are good friends with Lonnie of Custom Defense Firearms in Killeen, TX.   He does some amazing work.  

http://www.customdefensefirearms.com/customfirearms/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/3.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably a long shot, but is anyone aware of a reputable place in the Waco area that does cerakote? Its an NFA item and I'd rather not ship it if possible.
We are good friends with Lonnie of Custom Defense Firearms in Killeen, TX.   He does some amazing work.  

http://www.customdefensefirearms.com/customfirearms/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/3.jpg

Thanks for that. I'll give them a shout in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you checked on Spartan Custom Coatings in China Spring?

Address puts it in Waco but they're out by the airport.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got my upper & handguard done in Titanium Cerakote by Green Dragon in today and he did a great  job, it matches my factory lower perfect. About 1 week turn around time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have you checked on Spartan Custom Coatings in China Spring?

Address puts it in Waco but they're out by the airport.

View Quote

This is who I ended up going with. $120 for the work, dropped it off last Sunday and it was ready Friday.

Very happy with the work, cost, turnaround time, everything. Will definitely be using him in the future.

Not a great pic. Mossberg AOW in FDE.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice.  I bet that thing kicks like a mule...lol.  I have the same thing on my mind, but I may have to use a pistol grip to keep it in check.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice.  I bet that thing kicks like a mule...lol.  I have the same thing on my mind, but I may have to use a pistol grip to keep it in check.
View Quote

It's laughably painful. Fun though.
Serves no real purpose but I had to have one. Glad I did it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top