Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/4/2004 3:24:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 10:09:55 AM EST by _disconnector_]
Hi all,

On October 30th I will be hosting the Central VA BuildFest at my place in Mechanicsville (just East of Richmond). Over at AK-47.net, Gunco.net, and AKfiles.com we have been planning this for several weeks. In fact, I have 11 confirmed attendees and I just posted the notification at lunch today! Here's the thread at AK-47.net with the details.

So far, all of the builders attending are AK freaks. We are getting together all the equipment that you need to properly bend your own 80% flat, rivet up your kit, and finish your weapon in phosphate + paint. BUT, ALL TYPES OF BUILDS ARE INVITED! AR's, FAL's, whatever. Just let me know and we'll try to get together the needed tools. I wonder if there is a Guiness Book of World Records for the most weapons assembled in one day? Hmmmmm . . . .

I have about an acre for camping and we possibly may get some range time in on Sunday. I can also put a couple of folks up in my house if you're not into camping and you have too far to drive. My wife and little one are going to be out of town for the weekend, so we are free to start early and work late.

If you're interested, PLEASE email me at disconnectorATgmail.com. I'm putting together a mailing list to organize things as we get closer to the day.

ALL ARE WELCOME!

_Disconnector_

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:09:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 4:11:04 PM EST by 7]
Wow, nice. I'll check out the url you posted but does anyone have some quick links on where to get the necessary parts to be ready for this 'build' party.
Great, can't access the link because I'm not registered. I hate that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:14:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 6:58:03 PM EST by _disconnector_]
Sure!

You can get AK kits from Centerfiresystems.com, cheaperthandirt.com, k-var.com, and tapco.com as well as many other sources. If you need help picking one out, email me or hit the AK side of the house with your questions.

You will also need either a completed receiver (ohioordnanceworks.com) or a flat (tapco.com). The flats the best deal . . . only 20$ and no FFL required .

You will also need 922r compliance parts, but they depend upon which kit you get. Check out the AK side of the house for details or email me with any questions you may have.

Once again, ALL ARE WELCOME!

Disconnector

Since you guys can't see the link, let me repost it here . . . the count and list of folks coming is correct as of 12am Tuesday Oct 4. I won't be updating this. SHOOT ME AN EMAIL AND I'LL ADD YOU TO THE MAILING LIST SO YOU WILL RECEIVE UPDATES!!

****************************­*******************************

Hi all,

We're approved for casa del Barlow on October 30. My wife has thinks that would be a great weekend to take the little girl to go see Grandma and Grandpa . . . .

So, let's start planning this right. First off, the rules (thanks Etek!)
No full auto parts AT ALL. Leave all autosears, slotted rails, etc at home
No third holes - - - period. If you're a Class III manufacturer, email me and we'll talk.
No short barrels . . . if you're building on an AMD65, we will silver solder the muzzle attachments before folding your receiver
If you ARE making a pistol the rear trunnion MUST be unable to take a shoulder stock AND the flat must not be a 'folder type'
All 922r components must be present. CYA, baby.
I'm sorry, but no underage drinking. If you're not 21, no delightful beverages for you at my house. The sheriff around here has a serious hardon for it.
I know I don't need to say this, but we will need to be respectful of my neighbors. I live in a fairly rural area, but loud cursing and/or fighting is frowned upon. Let's just keep it all civil.
If you don't like to party, stay home

Now, let's get down to business. We need the following categories of items to make this a success:

Flat bending tools
Barrel/rivet removal tools
Assembly tools for riveting/screwing
Finishing tools / materials
A test fire range
Food and drinks - - - I've got the grill
Folks with cameras to record the event for posterity
A SHITLOAD OF FANATICAL AK BUILDERS!

Please EMAIL ME WITH AN EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU USE if you are planning on attending so I can get a distribution list together. So far I have:

Myself, HCPookie, Etek, DYI, Thumb Clip Pull Pin, Wishbone, Steelcore1964, Shagrat, Saigaswitcher (ARFcom)

I know that several of you have already stated that you can bring certain tools. Please email me what you are bringing and I'll start a listing on this thread so we can be sure that we have everything we need. If you don't have tools, that's cool too. Just bring your kit, flat, and yourself . . .

I'm going to start a new top-level thread just so the regulars can see that it's on . . .

Hell yea!
Disconnector
*********************­**********************************
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:05:25 PM EST
I just checked in my Tapco and found the flat receivers, all holes drilled for a little less than 20 dollars. I'll look into the other parts. Looking forward to this and hope others join in the fun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:47:44 PM EST
AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

Saturday! It would be a Saturday! Well, I'm going to have to work on the 31st as well, but holy crap! I've been wanting to get with somebody in VA to help me build an AK from a kit and a flat. Any chance of trading some skills? I'll help you out with a FAL if you hold my hand on an AK.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:54:52 PM EST
Cliffy109,

Shoot me an email and we'll try to work something out. I'm always happy to bring someone over to the "Dark Side"

Too bad FAL kits are like hen's teeth anymore. I still kick myself for missing the Tapco $99 deal

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:05:58 AM EST
This is great news!! Except I'm in the same boat as Cliffy...gotta work. Whats more I'm a little short on funds as of late. Any chance this will be a Semi-annual event?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:00:14 AM EST
It could be, it just dpends on how many folks are interested.

If you're local, perhap we could have a mini-BuildFest later. I'm never too busy to build an AK

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:19:39 PM EST
Cool! I just sent off an e-mail. What do you think of Tapco's $189 AMD-65 special with kit, flat, rivets and compliance parts?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:37:41 PM EST
You guys are killing me!! I really wanted to do this as well, but am not available on the 30th. I'll see if there's any way I can swing it, but I doubt it. I would be very interested in a min-buildfest later if anyone is able to organize. I would be interested in an FAL and a few AKs at some point and could probably get a few others as well. Please let us know if you're willing to do it again, disconnector. If your wife doesn't like a house full of strange people twice in a row I'd be glad to host it on the other side of Richmond (35 and 100-yd range out back). Thank you for posting this either way!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:38:35 PM EST
BlackFox,

If you have a range, I can foresee a plague of AK builders descending on your homestead sometime before the New Year

I would love to get a mini-BuildFest together after the 30th, but I've got to get this one together first. Perhaps sometime in the beginning of December?

Man my wallet is getting LIGHT

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:48:20 PM EST
Hmm...I could use an AK. I'll have to get in on one of these builds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:37:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By SNIPERm88:
Hmm...I could use an AK. I'll have to get in on one of these builds.

Ditto. I've been wanting to try my hand at building an AK from a flat and a kit, but don't have the $$$ right now. If this happens again, I'm in.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:43:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 3:44:24 AM EST by davidp14]
Sounds like at least a few of us are looking at a round two. See what you've got yourself into disconnector? I'll start saving for parts now.......

Blackfox,
I still havent forgotten about you, I just have been spending too much time at school/work(damn obligations). Not to mention this whole No-ban stuff has really hurt my account.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:02:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 10:09:21 AM EST by Tanker06]
Diconnector, with this kit AMD-65 Kit Best Combo

Is that all the parts that I need, or are there other things also? Drop me an e-mail if you get the
chance. I think there's a good chance that I can make it down.
Thanks!

ETA: Damn, more $$... sooner or later, Mrs. Tanker is going to figure out just how much I've spent
on this hobby in the past few months!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:09:35 AM EST
That kit has it all . . . except the ammo

Come on down - the more the merrier. Shoot me an email when your sure so I can add you to the emailing list. The first notices go out in the beginning of next week.

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:58:56 PM EST
Hi Disconnector,
Folks here can't see the AK thread in "Build It Yourself II" unless they're paying members over at gunsnet. That's why the hotlink doesn't work for most. I'd repost here or post in BIY I over at gunsnet.
Did you ever find anyone with a threading pilot and a 14x1LH die/cutter set for threading barrels?
I'm probably a no show since in-laws are in town that weekend (plus my money issue).
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:57:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tanker06:
Diconnector, with this kit AMD-65 Kit Best Combo

Is that all the parts that I need, or are there other things also? Drop me an e-mail if you get the
chance. I think there's a good chance that I can make it down.
Thanks!

ETA: Damn, more $$... sooner or later, Mrs. Tanker is going to figure out just how much I've spent
on this hobby in the past few months!

Crap, who bought them all? I can't find this anymore. Damn Damn Damn
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:36:16 PM EST
yeah, i was trying like hell to find that too. if anyone else knows of a really cheap deal like that, post it up!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:13:02 AM EST
Other sources for kits . . .

Try k-var
center fire systems

Inter-ordnance has kits too, but I can't seem to get to their website.

There is also a gun show this weekend at the Showplace . . . there should be a couple of kits there also.

As far as flats/rails goes, contact sniper69 over at Gunco or order them from Tapco.

If you don't have rivets, I think others will be able to cover for ya.

As far as 922r compliance goes (US parts) . . . it's not my responsibility to inspect your parts

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:15:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 10:15:58 AM EST by _disconnector_]
K-Var isn't cheap, but there kits are A-1 quality. The Bulgarian AK-74 kits are the bomb . . .

Also, check out Ohio Rapid Fire . . . they may have kits.

Hell, just go post a request over on the AK side of the house and they'll be able to give you lots of places that I've forgotten.

I just finished up another AMD-65 that I built on a bent metal blank. Looks fine, works great, and no FFL required

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:48:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
There is also a gun show this weekend at the Showplace . . . there should be a couple of kits there also.

Know off hand who would be selling the kits. With 1000 tables I'm sure I'll miss the kit unless I get pointed in the correct direction.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:07:50 PM EST
Hmmm . . . that's tough. I remember seeing a couple of AMD65 kits with a guy that was set up in the right rear corner (as seen from the front). Also, there was a table last time to the left when you enter the door (near the front) that had a pile of Romanian kits.

Seriously, if you want a kit hit the AK side of the house. I bought my kits 4 months ago . . . an eternity ago in terms of kits. They come and go fast.

Guys, I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys at my place. Even if you don't have a kit and/or a flat, it will still be a very educational experience for ya. HCPookie, AK builder / WECSOG engineer extraordinaire will be there. NO ONE can build an AK with less equipment than he . . . I can't wait to try out his $45 bolt cutter rivet squeezers . . .

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:16:40 AM EST
Found one guy selling AMD63 kits. Picked one up for 145 which is an ok price. Still need to get the receiver from Tapco and I'll have to check to see if the rivits are included.

Oh, the guy is to the left of Quantico Arms. Rear left of the show.

Looking forward to the 'build' I actually might buy a couple flat receivers and bend them at the build party and get more part kits later.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:56:54 PM EST
Sniper69 MAY have some flats left over from a group buy over at gunco.net. IM him over there and see if he has any left . . .

Good find on the AMD63 kit . . . Pretty much a classic AKM. I'm building a '63 and a PMKMS at the BuildFest myself.

Shoot me an email at disconnectorATgmail.com so I can add you to the email group. I'll be sending out directions and figuring out tooling via email.

It will be great to meet ya!

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:32:46 AM EST
Would you guys be interested in a MIL-STD 1913 integrated rail lower handguard for your AK builds?

I am distributing for a Israeli company that manufactures parts for the Israeli Special Forces. They offer several interesting components for the M16, MP5, AK47, and GALIL.

If you are interested and someone wants to do a group buy, I'll cut you guys a deal.

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
sales@hallmarksmallarms.com
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:32:15 AM EST
couple of questions:
I want to build a 74, will the AK flats from tapco work? (I was under the impression they wouldnt)

Do I need to get a different FCG?

Anyrthing else I need to know thats different from building a 47?

I'm thinking about getting one of those folder 74 kits from akronarmory.com or FAC. Or if funds dont materialize in time I'll just get a standard stocked 74 kit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:11:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 12:26:23 PM EST by Tanker06]
Disconnector, any experience or thoughts on the Romanian kits? Tapco sold out of that kit I'd mentioned
before I could grab one.

Or, what about the K-Var or Akronarmory's AK-74 kits, like Davidp14 asked? If Tapco's flat will
work with the AK74 kits, it'll be a matter of which kit I can get hold of.
Top Top