Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2008 6:40:07 PM EDT
Yes, I know this has probably been hashed before, but my searchfu is weak and I can't come up with it....

I recently lost access to the ranch I went to plink on and am looking for a new source.  I live in Marble Falls and my shooting buddies live in Austin, anything in the area would be great.  I know of a few ranges around (only ever been to Red's to sight sight in and for the handgun) but wanted to get some input from the forum.

Please help steer me in the right direction guys!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Give us more information on what you want to do.

What is your minimum acceptable yardage (100, 200, 300)

You want to shoot ARs and AKs or bolt guns.

Will you be shooting Full Metal Jacket Ammo

Handgun specific range

"Rapid Fire" important

Machinguns / other NFA?

Give us some more details of what you want and what is most important and we can probably steer you in the best direction.

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:

What is your minimum acceptable yardage (100, 200, 300)100 is fine, at this point in my shooting 'career' I'm just starting, not looking for anything long distance

You want to shoot ARs and AKs or bolt guns. ARs SKSs and some handguns

Will you be shooting Full Metal Jacket Ammo yes

Handgun specific range nope

"Rapid Fire" important nope

Machinguns / other NFA? nope

Give us some more details of what you want and what is most important and we can probably steer you in the best direction.

James
Austin, Texas

Thank you for your help!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is your minimum acceptable yardage (100, 200, 300)100 is fine, at this point in my shooting 'career' I'm just starting, not looking for anything long distance

You want to shoot ARs and AKs or bolt guns. ARs SKSs and some handguns

Will you be shooting Full Metal Jacket Ammo yes

Handgun specific range nope

"Rapid Fire" important nope

Machinguns / other NFA? nope

James
Austin, Texas

Thank you for your help!

On your side of town, Astro Village is probably your best bet.

Eagle Peak is nicest, and probably closest to you, but does not allow FMJ or rapid (i.e. faster than 1 second per round) fire.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I would agree that given your needs Astro is probably your best bet given your location.

There is also Stans alittle further South from Astro on 183 on the east side of the highway.  I have not been there is years, (since it was Tonys) but they have a 100yr range and I beleive allow FMJ (or at least they used to), but are a no on rapid fire or shooting from a standing position.

You could also head up to Fort Hood as they have a range there but the application process to register your firearms, base pass, etc. is a bit onerous for my liking.

As you mentioned Reds north of south would fit the bill as well as Austin Rifle Club, although ARC is a bit of a drive from Marble Falls.

James
Austin, Texas

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Is Astro NFA friendly?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is Astro NFA friendly?

He allowed rapid fire out there when I went , but don't know about NFA.

Call em' up.

Might as well call SSR as well if your're willing to drive as far as astro.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
Lone Star Gun Range, south of the airport
www.ctxpta.com/

Was there a couple of months ago. For an outdoor range, I liked the place. Friendly staff (owner?) checked two of us in. He asked how we had heard of the place, and we told him "AR15.com." No mention of ammo restrictions (e.g. FMJ) and allows rapid-fire as fast as you can control. No attitude and no overbearing range officers. The only problem I encountered was, depending on the distance your targets are set (25yd vs 50yd) on the 100yd range and the height at which you set your target (the target board can hold 3-4 targets in a vertical manner) and the slope of the range, you have to watch shooting at the top target as it gets closer to you because you might shoot over the top of the berm. I'm looking forward to going back. Will probably take my CHL renewal class there next month if my schedule allows it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top