Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/4/2005 11:51:17 AM EDT
Hi, folks.

I'm currently using T-Mobile for my wireless service, but I've noticed my service cuts out fairly frequently during conversations. I'm not sure if this is a normal occurance for T-Mobile here or if I have just dropped my phone one too many times. Are the NYC arfcommers happy with T-Mobile? What are you folks' experience with other providers?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:13:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:17:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:30:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wave:
You'll notice right down the block from you across from 1 Police Plaza is a huge Verizon Building....Hmmmmmn

I use Sprint.

I'm staring at that building right now, in fact. Thankfully, the logo is not facing my way! haha You like Sprint, Wave? I've been tempted to do Verizon, because I've heard a lot of praise for them. I've never used Nextel. Hmm, I'll have to mull that over.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:02:11 PM EDT
For your purposes, Verizon will suit you best. It has the best coverage in the tri-state area.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:05:07 PM EDT
I switched over to Verizon years ago because of spotty digital coverage from AT&T (now Cingular) at the time. AFAIK Verizon has the best coverage in the NY Metro area. I hear people complain about Sprint service quite frequently.

I don't need no stinkin push-to-talk two-way half duplex radio crapola. Anyone who has Nextel PTT should be shot, revived and shot again. If you are in construction and use it on the job site you get a pass though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:14:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:17:22 PM EDT
I've definitely found verizon to get the best coverage in the tri-state area as well. I had AT&T years ago and it was horrible. Most of my friends have either verizon or nextel...the nextel direct connect works great, but most seem to have trouble with the nextel as a cell phone.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:44:32 PM EDT
I'm a little leary to switch to CDMA from GSM. I'm not sure it makes the slightest difference to me, though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:35:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Helldog40:
Isn't that big sign ON 1PP???? I figured Rudy was renting out ad space back in the day....

Anyways Gen'l....avoid ATT like the plague, Sprint is passable, Verizon has good coverage, but of the three accounts I've had I like my Nextel best. Of course, I use the push-to-talk feature a lot at work, but the coverage is great in the city...

Their push to talk works great, but that's about it. Regular service- wise, there are areas in Brooklyn, abouve ground where I won't get a signal, but everyone else does. On the otherhand, I do get signal underground where nobody else does.

Another plus in their free incomming plans. I hate paying for wrong numbers. If any of you guys want to call me, feel free at any time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:29:36 PM EDT
CINGULAR...have had over 5 yrs and not a problem with service or customer service.

I went to Hawaii had service
Went to Puerto Rico had service.....
Have had service when my friends can't get through standing next to me.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:42:49 PM EDT
I have the T-Mobile Sidekick 2 with unlimited data, no voice. The calls dropped you're experiencing can be because mostly from indoors if thats where the drops happpen. Apparently, some building made with mostly metal frames or thick walls can affect T-Mobile signals. Also, T-Mobile may be undergoing an upgrade. Good thing about TMo is that if you bitch enough, you get free minutes. They always give that but with restrictions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:51:41 AM EDT
I have used most of the providers over the years and Sprint seems to be the best for me. Customer service sucks bigtime but my signal never fails.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:25:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 5:25:37 AM EDT by bill3rail]
Verizon

I get service where nobody else gets it. Certain provider uners must go outside for service.

Bill H.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:19:41 AM EDT
Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:52:40 PM EDT
I hear Sprint and Nextel are merging.

I used Verizon when I was living in NY. Had AT&T (Both the analog and digital), sucked big time.
Top Top