BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, Watch out....

Cash given for tips to recover illegal guns
Participants must leave their names when they call. The reward is $500 or $1,000.

July 03, 2003
By Sue Weibezahl
Staff writer

Helping get illegal guns off Syracuse streets is now a money-making proposition.

"If people won't do it for altruistic reasons, maybe they'll do it for cash," Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said. "It really doesn't matter to me as long as we get the guns."

Law enforcement officials announced Wednesday that they're going to start paying $500 or $1,000 for information that helps police confiscate guns and arrest those using them illegally.

The new campaign, called Project Fed Up, "indicates the community is fed up with the violence," said U.S. Attorney Glenn Suddaby.

"Those people involved in gun activities will be up on federal charges," Suddaby said. "We will up the ante, up the charges, and they will be looking at serious time."

Prosecuting suspects in federal court can result in double the prison sentences they'd likely receive in state facilities, Suddaby said. "We hope to get this problem if not stopped at least slow-

ed down. We're hoping that people get the message."

To publicize the new program, 13 billboards will be posted throughout the city, listing a toll-free number - (877) 311-0911 - for people to call to report the locations of illegal guns.

"I'm so happy to see this," said Mike Douglas, who lives near where the program was unveiled Wednesday morning at South Salina and East Glen Avenue.

"You just keep hearing about more and more incidents. Within the last two years, it's gotten bad, really bad."

People who call police with the location of an illegal gun can collect $500 if they leave their name, Fitzpatrick said.

"You need to do that to collect the cash; you won't necessarily have to be involved in the prosecution," he said. "This is to give police probable cause for arrest or a search warrant."  

It's not a gun buy-back, he said.

"We're not concerned about the antique musket you have in the attic," he said.

If the confiscated guns were used in a serious crime, such as an assault, attempted murder or homicide, those reporting it will receive $1,000, Fitzpatrick said.

The money will come from the Syracuse Police Department and district attorney's office drug forfeiture money.

Fitzpatrick said law enforcement officials have no cap on the budget.

"We have as much money as it takes," he said. "If we get 100 calls tomorrow, we have enough to cover it."

The billboards, donated by Lamar Outdoor Advertising, picture a man in a prison cell, holding his head in his hands, with the caption, "Do guns. Do time. Federal time. If you're fed up, report illegal guns toll-free." Billboards list the number and also encourage people to "ask about cash rewards."

A recent roundup of suspected gang members and drug dealers on federal charges is the shape of things to come, Syracuse deputy police Chief Gary Miguel said.

"That was a large-scale federal and local investigation, and you're going to see a lot more investigative efforts like that," he said.

Community involvement will be key to the program's success, Suddaby said.

"It's not just about putting people in jail," he said. If a family has a member it suspects is getting into trouble and guns are a part of that, "we hope they say, 'Let's get him some help, get rid of this gun and do something about it before he ends up in jail.' "
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude... I think I just you just figured out how I can get some money for my next rifle.

IIRC Syracuse's finest said there were no gangs in the city up until like last year.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
An informant is enough probable cause to effect a search warrant on someone's whole house?  Something is very wrong here!  What crackhead is going to know what guns are legal or aren't?  

This looks like a ploy to get people scared so they turn in their own firearms.  Just another gov ploy to create more victims in the world.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]
As a fashon statement, instead of the classic "Brown Shirts", perhaps we could go with the popular "Orange shirts", but it must be of a diffrent hue, lest they be mistaken for DOT workerrrr, employees. I sincerly hope a competent investigation is conducted BEFORE a search warrant is issued. The whole gun control issue is a complexed EVIL attempt at job justification and personal benifit.

New York States cottage industry: Correctional Facilitys
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Nah thats only upstate... Someone told me that they wanted to turn the top 10 floors of the WTC into a prison way back when they were first building it and the NYC "folk" shot it sown because they didnt want violent criminals housed in NYC. I guess thats why you cant go more than 60 miles in any direction around here without running into at least one MAJOR correctional facility.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nah thats only upstate... Someone told me that they wanted to turn the top 10 floors of the WTC into a prison way back when they were first building it and the NYC "folk" shot it sown because they didnt want violent criminals housed in NYC. I guess thats why you cant go more than 60 miles in any direction around here without running into at least one MAJOR correctional facility.

There are 70 State correctional facilities in NYS.  Fifteen of them are located in down state counties of NY. Four of the fifteen are minimum security facilities located in NYC.  Two of the fifteen are medium security facilities located in NYC.  All the rest except one are medium or maximum security located outside the city.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top