Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2009 10:35:29 AM EDT
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/politicalinsider/index.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

"Just got out of a meeting that Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle held with the state Capitol press corps.

The lieutenant governor was emphatic about one issue in particular. A bill to expand the public areas in which a permitted, concealed weapon can be carried will be going nowhere.

State Sen. Mitch Seabaugh (R-Sharpsburg) has been working on the measure to revamp the state code so as to permit concealed weapons licensees to pack heat in churches and on university campuses.

“Let me be very clear. I have no appetite for it,” Cagle said.

Last year, the Legislature finally passed a watered-down bill that permitted employees to keep guns in cars parked on company lots, pushed by the National Rifle Association. But two years of battle have taken their toll.

Cagle wants a respite. “We dealt with this issue last year. I think people should be content with where we are,” he said."

Screw you Casey boy, I don't care what you have an appetite for
I have a right to defend my self and my family at all times.
I will be calling his office later today.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
well, he can eat a dick
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it have been clearer if he just said he was against it.

"I am against it"

Yup, much clearer, all these flowerdy fancy words. Wait, was it close to lunch time when he said it?

Meh.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Casey Cagle wants us to quit bothering him with pro-gun initiatives........if you dont like it Casey, then dont run for re-election

Quoted:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/politicalinsider/index.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

"Just got out of a meeting that Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle held with the state Capitol press corps.

The lieutenant governor was emphatic about one issue in particular. A bill to expand the public areas in which a permitted, concealed weapon can be carried will be going nowhere.

State Sen. Mitch Seabaugh (R-Sharpsburg) has been working on the measure to revamp the state code so as to permit concealed weapons licensees to pack heat in churches and on university campuses.

Last year, the Legislature finally passed a watered-down bill that permitted employees to keep guns in cars parked on company lots, pushed by the National Rifle Association. But two years of battle have taken their toll.

Cagle wants a respite. “We dealt with this issue last year. I think people should be content with where we are,” he said."

Screw you Casey boy, I don't care what you have an appetite for
I have a right to defend my self and my family at all times.
I will be calling his office later today.

The Bald Monk

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Lt. Governor Cagle,
I am writing you to voice my concern about comments you made to the Capitol press corps regarding a bill to expand public areas where law abiding, licensed citizens of Georgia could carry a concealed weapon. I am curious as to why you would oppose such a bill. Do you think that the current laws keep criminals from carrying concealed weapons? As a police officer, I can tell you that they do not. Current laws in Georgia make the law abiding citizens vulnerable, nothing more.
I urge you to reconsider your stance on this subject. As a police officer, I can already carry a weapon pretty much anywhere, so this does not affect me directly.
Please, don't continue to punish the law abiding citizens; punish those criminals who wish to do ordinary citizens harm by giving those ordinary citizens the ability to defend themselves. The Constitution of The United States is clear in this matter. Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you on this very important matter.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, Nine5Three.  

It will be nice to get some le letters in there.  I thought he was very pro gun.  This makes me upset.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not content.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lt. Governor Cagle,
I am writing you to voice my concern about comments you made to the Capitol press corps regarding a bill to expand public areas where law abiding, licensed citizens of Georgia could carry a concealed weapon. I am curious as to why you would oppose such a bill. Do you think that the current laws keep criminals from carrying concealed weapons? As a police officer, I can tell you that they do not. Current laws in Georgia make the law abiding citizens vulnerable, nothing more.
I urge you to reconsider your stance on this subject. As a police officer, I can already carry a weapon pretty much anywhere, so this does not affect me directly.
Please, don't continue to punish the law abiding citizens; punish those criminals who wish to do ordinary citizens harm by giving those ordinary citizens the ability to defend themselves. The Constitution of The United States is clear in this matter. Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you on this very important matter.

Job well done Nine5Three!

I saw this in the AJC today as was very angry. How much more elitest can you be?

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've already written my letter and his office will be receiving an email and a phone call as well.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lt. Governor Cagle,

Job well done Nine5Three!

I saw this in the AJC today as was very angry. How much more elitest can you be?

Yes, excellent letter!
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I called and will follow up with an email and a letter
Mrs Monk has written a letter and emailed as well.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Going out tomorrow (suggestions welcome):

Lieutenant Governor Cagle,

I read with disgust your January 5 comments to the media telling us to just “be content” with the current state of firearms law in Georgia.  Those laws are broken, sir, and though some of them were addressed last year, they are by no means fixed.  In fact, it was not until the Senate’s firearms law committee held several meetings that most legislators realized just how broken they are.

First, the so-called “public gathering” prohibitions of the Jim Crow era are still on the books.  These restrictions are so vague and hard to interpret that even judges, attorneys, and law enforcement officers cannot clearly understand them.  And if they can’t understand the law, how can we expect the average law-abiding GFL holder to do so?  At the very least, we need to clarify and simplify these laws and make their definitions unambiguous.

Second, sir, the State of Georgia trusts its law-abiding citizens to carry firearms for self-protection in places like grocery stores, shopping malls, banks, and in parks.  Yet the same person who carries in those places is deemed a criminal by the state when he stops by the library to return some books, or meets his daughter for lunch at Georgia Tech.  Why is that?

I can only think of two reasons—either the state is afraid that these otherwise law-abiding citizens are suddenly going to turn into rampaging murderers by visiting their children at college, going to church on Sunday, or simply because they’re armed; or that it thinks the chances of an accident are higher.  Yet evidence from every single state that allows its law-abiding citizens to carry guns shows shows this not to be the case.  Such citizens have proven themselves far less likely to commit violent crimes than the general population, and many of those states allow citizens to carry firearms in church and at school, with no negative consequences.  

Every semester, I read about armed robberies, assaults, and other crimes in and around the campus of Georgia Tech, my alma mater.  The perpetrators were not stopped or impeded in any way by our firearms laws—yet we tell the students and faculty (many of whom have firearms licenses or carry permits, and responsibly carry off-campus) that they must be absolutely defenseless against them while at the school, or at any time on their way to or from it.  It’s absurd, sir.  These are adults we’re talking about, not children.  There’s nothing special about college campuses that makes them immune from criminals and predators, or that makes otherwise-responsible people act like idiots while there.  We owe them the same respect and trust that we give them in other places.

(signed)

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess he likes to support racist laws
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Lt. Governor Obama,.....err, Cagle
I am writing you to voice my concern about comments you made to the Capitol press corps regarding a bill to expand public areas where law abiding, licensed citizens of Georgia could carry a concealed weapon. First, the press corps is a bunch of Marxist,commie-loving ingrates who wouldn't know freedom if it bit them on the ass, why are you talking to them at all unless you sympathize with their true aim, which is the enslavement of society to the state?

I am curious as to why you would oppose such a bill(other than maybe the fact that you are a pussy of some sort and are scared of those bad,bad guns). Do you think that the current laws keep criminals from carrying concealed weapons? You sumbitch, I knew you were a back-stabbing yellow dog, but this takes the cake!

I heard you hit your mom and hate puppies, too.

Looking forward to the APC crashing through my front door,

Me

I like this version better, but you could never send this to anyone
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
This link was included in the email today from the GCO (member since 2009, thankyouverymuch ).  So I had my wife send the following email to the AJC reporting soliciting comments from new GFL owners:

Dear Ms. Badertscher,

I saw your request for comments from new Georgia Firearms License holders.  I'm a working professional and mother of two young children (2 years and 5 months), and I applied for my GFL in November of 2008 along with my husband.  We were both concerned about the impending changes to 2nd Amendment rights in Georgia due to the recent election of president-elect Barack Obama.  While Mr. Obama has publicly stated he supports the 2nd Amendment, his actions, voting record, and even his website indicate he intends to, at the least, support legislation restricting my 2nd Amendment rights.

With the arrival of 2009, I'm even more concerned to learn that even though I have received my GFL I am in potential jeopardy of arrest when carrying a firearm due to Georgia's ambiguous laws concerning locations where concealed carry is permissible.  This concern arises from Lt. Governor Casey Cagle's admitted interference in the firearms study committee of the Georgia Senate.  While I can understand that Lt. Gov. Cagle may not believe in 2nd Amendment rights, I cannot understand why an elected official would favor keeping Jim Crow laws on the Georgia books that create confusion over an individual's rights.

I feel my rights are being infringed by the Lt. Governor intentionally stonewalling the further clarification of Georgia firearm laws, and I am concerned about my ability to see to the safety of my young children.

Please feel free to contact me further.

CMJ
Alpharetta, GA
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Y'all have written several nice and polite letters.
I am still to p*ssed off to write a coherent correspondence at this time.

Cagel made a politician calculation on this issue.
I believe it revels his ambivalence about our 2nd amendment rights.
He needs to understand that this not a matter of political math but a core value for us.
Guns owners are by nature, lovers of liberty, and independent folk.

Let's make sure Mr. Cagel understand our values and that in the future he is calculations will properly account for our values of liberty and independence.

It is not about guns it is about civil rights, a right to life and a right to liberty.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm grateful that his Obama-like position is now open for all to see.   He has been one of the killers of pro-gun legislation in the Legislature for several years now.
At least now we know what we are dealing with.

Link Posted: 1/6/2009 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#17]
This will be remembered.
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I will send him a letter, and I will ask the other officers here at work to also send one.  Maybe if LEO's are telling him that we want more people to carry, he'll change his mind!
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maybe if LEO's are telling him that we want more people to carry, he'll change his mind!

you don't really believe he cares what we think, do you?????????
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe if LEO's are telling him that we want more people to carry, he'll change his mind!

I said maybe......
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I will send him a letter, and I will ask the other officers here at work to also send one.  Maybe if LEO's are telling him that we want more people to carry, he'll change his mind!

Thanks Jace

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 3:12:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Let me be very clear on this issue, I have no appetite for supporting Mr. Cagle in his political career.

It's kinda funny, I was recently asked to support him with a contribution and I didn't know much about him. When I asked, the person pushing for his support assured me he is a gun guy. After asking a few more specific questions, I was told "yeah, he is a gun guy, I go duck hunting with him all the time".
I'm so glad I declined to give this dickhead any money.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Monk ... don't listen to this.  Your head will explode.

Here is a sound clip from Insider Advantage of Lt. Governor Content.

Cagle Comments About Georgia's Gun Laws
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why that little arrogant fuck stick!
I don’t think he could have sounded any more smug, conceited or self-important.
His little girlish giggling is pissing me off.

It appears the Mr. Cagel has forgotten that he works for us.
This is not about his wants but our rights.

FUCK that FUCKING MOTHER FUCKER.

Damn it is going to take me another 48 hours to calm down enough to write him a letter.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn it is going to take me another 48 hours to calm down enough to write him a letter.

The Bald Monk

You know, I have been thinking about this whole thing; I understand that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar and all of that, but we are not trying to catch flies here!!! I just want to, for once, write a letter that really expresses how I feel about all of this. Not just the constant attack on the RKBA, but about our .gov in general, and how fucked up it all is.

These people don't care about us, why do we continue to give them respect they obviously do not deserve??? Has beeing "nice" really worked?

If I wrote a letter "from the heart", the black helicopters would be here shortly.

Nine5Three for Governor!!!!! I'll show you guys some change we can ALL believe in.

Link Posted: 1/7/2009 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bald Monk

You know, I have been thinking about this whole thing; I understand that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar and all of that, but we are not trying to catch flies here!!! I just want to, for once, write a letter that really expresses how I feel about all of this. Not just the constant attack on the RKBA, but about our .gov in general, and how fucked up it all is.

These people don't care about us, why do we continue to give them respect they obviously do not deserve??? Has beeing "nice" really worked?

If I wrote a letter "from the heart", the black helicopters would be here shortly.

Nine5Three for Governor!!!!! I'll show you guys some change we can ALL believe in.

Just send him mine.

Lt. Governor Obama,.....err, Cagle
I am writing you to voice my concern about comments you made to the Capitol press corps regarding a bill to expand public areas where law abiding, licensed citizens of Georgia could carry a concealed weapon. First, the press corps is a bunch of Marxist,commie-loving ingrates who wouldn't know freedom if it bit them on the ass, why are you talking to them at all unless you sympathize with their true aim, which is the enslavement of society to the state?

I am curious as to why you would oppose such a bill(other than maybe the fact that you are a pussy of some sort and are scared of those bad,bad guns). Do you think that the current laws keep criminals from carrying concealed weapons? You sumbitch, I knew you were a back-stabbing yellow dog, but this takes the cake!

I heard you hit your mom and hate puppies, too.

Looking forward to the APC crashing through my front door,

Me
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump

Hadn't heard of this.  More people need to know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I called his capitol office and left a message, and I sent him an e-mail.  

The important thing is to let him know he is losing a lot of votes over this.  After all, that is the primary motivation for politicians.  If he gets enough messages along the lines of "I'll never vote for you again and I'm telling everone I know not to vote for you either", then he might just change his tune.  

Contact info- http://ltgov.georgia.gov/00/channel_modifieddate/0,2096,2199618_2208307,00.html

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bump

Hadn't heard of this.  More people need to know.

It was in the last GCO Update email.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be shocked.  The legislators take what law enforcement says as gospel (seriously).  It has been a very bitter disappointment to me at committee hearings to see every uniform there to speak against GCO's goals.

This changed a little with the study committee, when two Sheriffs showed up to voice support for the study committee and to criticize Georgia's vague public gathering law, and even the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, a notoriously anti-gun organization, basically said they were withholding judgment.

I keep hoping that one day a bunch of uniforms will show up to support a bill aimed at a little more liberty on the right to bear arms . . .
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Mal

What is the best way to get our points across to Cagle and others?

After hearing his comments, I am convinced he does not give a rat's ass about Gun Owners
Sure he will give lip service to our  concerns but that is about it.
He and his ilk do not see gun rights as a core principle of civil rights and personal liberties

The Bald Monk

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#32]
If he wants to run for the governorship in 2010, we'll have to make sure he gets defeated in the primaries. That means getting the word about about his stand on this issue. GCO can help make that a reality by pointing out that Cagle is a major roadblock to firearms law reform.

Anyone who doesn't trust you or me with a firearm shouldn't be trusted with the responsibilities of public office.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Oxendine has been circulating this statement:

A Statement from Commissioner John Oxendine:

Like many Georgians who support the Second Amendment, I was disappointed Casey Cagle all but abandoned his support for the Second Amendment during his annual pre-Session press conference.

Casey Cagle was emphatic that pro-Second Amendment legislation sponsored by State Senator Mitch Seabaugh, which would allow law abiding Georgians to expand the areas they can legally carry their concealed weapon, would be dead on arrival in a Casey Cagle Senate.

Casey Cagle stated he has "no appetite for it" and Georgians "should be content with where we are."

Casey Cagle may not have an appetite for expanding and protecting the Second Amendment Rights of Georgians, but I do. I support those legislators who stand for the Second Amendment.

Casey Cagle may be content and want a respite in standing up for our Second Amendment rights, but I will never rest until we ensure that we have protected the Second Amendment and made every effort to ensure our Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

I am a proud Life Member of the National Rifle Association, the Georgia Sports Shooting Association and GeorgiaCarry.org. I remain unapologetic and offer unqualified support of the Second Amendment. I will always have an appetite to protect and defend the Second Amendment.

It is of concern that people can legally carry guns in more places in states such as, California and Oregon. Georgians who understand the principles of the Second Amendment will not be content until we have the legal right in Georgia to enjoy the blessings of our liberty.

John Oxendine
Oxendine Working for Georgia

(emphasis added)
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 2:29:10 AM EDT
[#35]
MP posted this on another forum

Commissioner Oxendine is a GCO Life Member and has been for some time (and yes, I have his permission to say that).

Link Posted: 1/9/2009 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mal

What is the best way to get our points across to Cagle and others?

The Bald Monk

In all seriousness, just write him with your concerns.  Don't burn any bridges while doing it (as tempting as it is).  The idea is to build a bridge.  I am firmly of the belief that polite education works when patiently and consistently applied over time.  

Besides, recognizing our liberty costs the ailing budget absolutely zero.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Office of the Lieutenant Governor
Administrative Staff
240 State Capitol
Atlanta, GA  30334

Lt Governor Cagle,

I genuinely hope you will reconsider the change of the public gathering firearms law.  The way the law is written now confuses both licensed citizens and law enforcement alike.  It really should be a priority to make this change in 2009.

Thank you
Chadjetlag

It was all I could do to not add, "Anti-gun positions have not been very good career decisions for Georgia politicians."
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I wrote Cagle encouraging him to reconsider his position.  

I am going to write Oxendine, as well, and thank him for his support of our position.  He should get as many letters as Cagle does.  We should show Oxendine that if his stance is what he says it is there will be support for him among gun owners.  

-Mrs.Monk
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#39]
That weasel Cagle can go pound sand.  I guess he is trying to impress and get votes from the soccer mommies or something.   Ox for Governor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top