Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2010 2:42:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 2:45:39 AM EDT by DougR]
Guess this can apply even to snow storms. I guess this applies to us folks travelling through the state.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/north-carolina-declared-gun-free-zone-anticipation-of-hurricane-earl

"State of emergency declared in North Carolina," the WECT News 6 headline informs us. "Governor Bev Perdue has declared a State of Emergency for North Carolina in anticipation of Hurricane Earl's arrival."

From blogger John Jacob H:

"Upon Governor Beverly Perdue’s declaration of a State Of Emergency on September 1, 2010 Dove Hunters, Concealed Carry Handgun Licensees, Target Shooters and all other gunowners cannot possess, transport or use firearms off their personal property as per N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-288.7"

Here's what the statute says:

"§ 14?288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.

"(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:

"(1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or

"(2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.

"(b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14?269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.

"(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)"

Charlotte Gun Rights Examiner Paul Valone alerted us to the dangers of this statute back in June, when he informed us:

"Grass Roots North Carolina* has joined Michael Bateman, Virgil Green, Forrest Minges, Jr., and the Second Amendment Foundation in a lawsuit against the state’s emergency powers gun ban...Plaintiffs are represented by attorney Alan Gura, who won the recent McDonald v. Chicago Second Amendment case and the landmark D.C. v. Heller case preceding it."

And in February, Dave Workman told us of the North Carolina emergency powers gun ban being invoked during a snow storm.

You can view the complaint Valone reported on here.

But time's up for North Carolina gun owners. They can either obey the law, and go defenseless if they have to leave their homes, or just say the hell with stupid, evil anti-defense edicts and take their chances they won't be caught and punished––providing they survive their encounter with the "authorities".

Government, of course, as usual, has things exactly Bizarro-World backwards. It's when the security of a free state is imperiled that the right of the people to keep and bear arms is most necessary.

What an outrageous choice to force a supposedly free human being to make. Especially when we've seen what can happen when unarmed people are caught trying to get to safety by the "only ones" who can "legally" bear arms in an emergency.

As I asked when commenting on that atrocity:

"If you were trying to get to safety with your loved ones and had to make your way through a no man's land populated by looting predators and worse, would you go defenseless?"

Well, would you? Even if you lived in North Carolina?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:28:27 AM EDT
similar to the communists right? write the greatest constitution ever and have a clause that says it can be suspended during emergencies, then always have a constant state of emergency. nice.

assholes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:13:12 AM EDT
wow... Virginia did the opposite of that. We actually have as part of the constitution that specifically says guns cannot be taken away from lawful owners, even during emergencies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:15:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 8:16:13 AM EDT by Lightning1960]
It does say any person.
I wonder if police will disarm themselves ?

NM..........Clause below that statement.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:02:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 21BoomCBTENGR:
wow... Virginia did the opposite of that. We actually have as part of the constitution that specifically says guns cannot be taken away from lawful owners, even during emergencies.

Same w/ WV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:04:56 PM EDT
"(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)"

Well, I guess I'd have to risk a misdemeanor to insure that my family would be protected during a societal breakdown.

What a stupid law.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:31:35 AM EDT
None of the actual bad people are going to give a crap about this. This is yet another law that only harms the law-abiding citizen and makes it easier for the wicked to do their thing.

Sheep to the wolf, every time a law that disarms the citizen is enacted. A firearm, or any weapon is a tool. In an emergency, it can be used for good and evil. Disarm the good, help the bad. The bad don't care about the government or its piece of paper that says they can't do something they're set on doing. Remove the balance, remove the way to prevent the murder of innocents and other injustices, and the people putting these laws in place themselves, are committing murder. They are accomplices, they are guilty of foul deeds when some of them might even think they are doing good.

These people do not THINK about what they do, they lack common sense. They lack any sense. They live in a fake world, where everyone is nice. They are ignorant of reality, and are often so arrogant they feel they can control the world itself. The world is not a nice place, and people such as these make it even worse for the few good people left in it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:04:23 AM EDT
Think about this for a second. It does not say that you can not possess a firearm on your property, you just can not transport it. Yeah I know that this is another case where the crooks are going to do it anyway, but you also have the honest man who decides that since he is armed to take advantage of it. Just human nature. I do think some exemptions should be made to this law. You have to look at this carefully. This is not an endorsement of the NC Law, just a second look at what may have been good intentions with a bad outcome. Looks to be poorly written.

ANGMSG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:22:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ANGMSG:
Think about this for a second. It does not say that you can not possess a firearm on your property, you just can not transport it. Yeah I know that this is another case where the crooks are going to do it anyway, but you also have the honest man who decides that since he is armed to take advantage of it. Just human nature. I do think some exemptions should be made to this law. You have to look at this carefully. This is not an endorsement of the NC Law, just a second look at what may have been good intentions with a bad outcome. Looks to be poorly written.

ANGMSG

Ok,

So lets say you live on the Outer Banks. In anticipation of a hurricane the Governor declares a state of Emergency and orders an evacuation. Just like was done recently.

So now "you just can not transport it." legally speaking you need to leave all your guns in your home that is about to get flattened.

What if you are visiting or vacationing when a state of emergency is declared? Are you going to toss your otherwise legal CCW out the window and drive home?

This law doesn't need some exceptions it needs to be eliminated and let the good folks of NC (and any visitors) follow the rest of the gun laws, you know the ones that make it illegal to shoot people without a good reason, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 1:55:53 PM EDT by Redemption_IBIG]
I live right next to the border, so the above post speaks quite true to me. I was going to post quite the same thing. Also, anybody evacuating while trying to protect themselves or their loved ones with a firearm is now considered a law breaker who needs to be punished.

If you look at something like this without looking deeper, you're missing the point entirely. One day, these misdemeanors could be considered felonies. This is a stepping stone on the way to disarming a state, and creating a police state. It is nothing but big government getting bigger. It will not save ONE life, it in fact will likely put lives at risk - and not the lives of the bad people. There are no good intentions, because the people making these laws don't know what good intentions are to begin with. They don't know what they're doing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:38:05 PM EDT
I don't know if the law would cut you any slack on this or not. Seems to me you should be able to evacuate your property, same for returning from a hunting vacation. I would think that a cased gun would not draw any attention, but then I guess it depends on who stops you. Like I said this looks to be poorly written.

ANGMSG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:21:05 PM EDT
That sucks. I'm glad I live in Virginia...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:17:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 9:18:59 AM EDT by VaFish]
Originally Posted By ANGMSG:
I don't know if the law would cut you any slack on this or not. Seems to me you should be able to evacuate your property, same for returning from a hunting vacation. I would think that a cased gun would not draw any attention, but then I guess it depends on who stops you. Like I said this looks to be poorly written.

ANGMSG

I would hope that any NC LEO coming across an otherwise legal person transporting unloaded firearms during a state of emergency, especially during a hurricane evacuation would not arrest that person.

But the way the law reads you can't possess or transport a firearm if a state of emergency has been declared.

I kind of understand why NC wrote the law. During a state of emergency you want to be able to control people. Your resources will be stretched very thin. And it is much easier to control unarmed people.

But from a self defense point of view it is a terrible law. A state of emergency is when you need to be able to protect yourself because the state and local officials will be busy dealing with the emergency. Sure those of us who take some basic preparations will have food, water, medicines, guns, ammo, ect.. stored up to last us a while. But I have a lot of family that doesn't prepare as well and isn't ready to protect themselves either. Some of them I would even go get and bring back to my place. I wouldn't want to do that unarmed.

And I'm real glad I live in VA. But my daughter goes to NC state. What if there is a state of emergency and I want to get her out of the state?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:13:47 AM EDT
Fish, I agree, and as far as the relatives that are not prepared, we have a name for them here. Victims and casualties,
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:20:20 AM EDT
I would hope that any NC LEO coming across an otherwise legal person transporting unloaded firearms during a state of emergency, especially during a hurricane evacuation would not arrest that person.

That did not work too well in New Orleans.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:15:45 PM EDT
I remember reading about this during the snow storms. Ridiculous.

Then again, this is the same state that bans carry in banks. Explain THAT one to me. Carrying large sums of cash to a bank is one of the few reasons that states like MA will give you a carry permit in the first place.

So basically they ban carry during all the times when you'd be most likely to need a gun.
Top Top